• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade the winter of 2015/2016

Rjay

a storms impact should be considered as part of the criteria...this year's blizzard was gone in a week or so...It did screw things up for a few days...The storm in 1983 was similar...the one in Feb. 1978 was on the ground with reinforcements until mid March...Boxing day six also...I think the biggest impact storm was Boxing day four in 1947...other great impact storms were in Feb. 1920...December 1960...January 1961...February 1961...January 1964...Feb. 1967...Feb. 1969...March 1993...January 1996...

had boxing day occurred three days earlier it would have been massively disruptive

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

a storms impact should be considered as part of the criteria...this year's blizzard was gone in a week or so...It did screw things up for a few days...

Snow removal is much, much better than it once was...so the impact cannot be objectively framed from one era to another...also, forecasting is better...so the chances of a "surprise" blizzard (the storms that really have the greatest impact)...like the one in 1947...when light snow was predicted...or 1888...when prediction methods were primitive...are greatly diminished. 

I am on the Connecticut border, 3.3 miles south of KHPN. However we are close enough to the Sound that we often get less snow than KHPN and warmer temperatures. 

Also I think the "snowboard" method of measuring overestimates a storm's impact. The impact on the Lindsay Storm on KNYC was crippling; this one caused barely a ripple. Yet the Lindsay Storm officially produced 15.2" compared to 26.8 in this one.  Better labor relations and snow removal were not the whole story. The measurements are inflated.

I agree and while I believe a solid two foot fell in much of the metro area, some of the 30 inch totals are suspect, especially if there is not a solid avg of 26-28 otg on the level when the last flakes are falling....no one has a thirty inch storm and only 22-24 otg at the end of the event when it is all snow and plenty cold..and the allowances of two to four inches for compaction and settling in a 30 inch event is generous

I have also long wondered about the Lindsay storm as well...I think nyc may have been a bit low but that storm was poorly forecast and just stopped the city...seemed like things rolled right along pretty good for a storm with 25-30 inches area wide

There often also seems to be tremendous inflation in the portchester snow reports going back years and years

I agree and while I believe a solid two foot fell in much of the metro area, some of the 30 inch totals are suspect, especially if there is not a solid avg of 26-28 otg on the level when the last flakes are falling....no one has a thirty inch storm and only 22-24 otg at the end of the event when it is all snow and plenty cold..and the allowances of two to four inches for compaction and settling in a 30 inch event is generous

I have also long wondered about the Lindsay storm as well...I think nyc may have been a bit low but that storm was poorly forecast and just stopped the city...seemed like things rolled right along pretty good for a storm with 25-30 inches area wide

There often also seems to be tremendous inflation in the portchester snow reports going back years and years

I received 29 inches in the Jan blizzard. Trust me I measured in several times in several places and average 29. I think the Park itself received 28 but of course it was under measured

Guest Pamela

^^^

Thus you are indicating that from your perspective, not only is ignorance bliss; but pursuit of truth and knowledge is something to be avoided. Perhaps Edison, Da Vinci, Leibniz, Newton, Galileo, and the Wright Brothers could all learn from you... 

A straight C grade

January's recovery from hot December was pretty good and the lead up to the actual blizzard was full of fantasy blizzards for the model enthusiast and finishing at normal snow level, of course those are the only good things I can say about the winter.

C-. Below normal snow and basically three weeks of winter weather . And for those that do winter outlooks please stop they are a waste of time

Agree. And stop with trying to predict a sustained neg nao with blocking it hasn't happen since sandy. We are still waiting for our backloaded winter.

Thus you are indicating that from your perspective, not only is ignorance bliss; but pursuit of truth and knowledge is something to be avoided. Perhaps Edison, Da Vinci, Leibniz, Newton, Galileo, and the Wright Brothers could all learn from you...

Difference is they didn't boast of their success until it happened . Maybe when these outlook guys perfect it than they can boast of how great they are and put it in writing . Until than keep it to yourself

Guest Pamela

Difference is they didn't boast of their success until it happened .

How do you know? Do you have access to each and every one of their correspondences?...Have you thoroughly examined them? Such an evidentiary and epistemological undertaking would take an astonishingly long time.  Were you present for each and every lecture they gave?  Every single colloquy they engaged in?  Unless you were, do not pretend to have insight into questions that you do not have the answers to.

Guest Pamela

Until than {Sic} keep it to yourself

I'll take it under advisement...which means, well, you can figure it out.

How do you know? Do you have access to each and every one of their correspondences?...Have you thoroughly examined them? Such an evidentiary and epistemological undertaking would take an astonishingly long time.  Were you present for each and every lecture they gave?  Every single colloquy they engaged in?  Unless you were, do not pretend to have insight into questions that you do not have the answers to.

yawn

Guest Pamela

yawn

If this is indicative of an actual physiological reaction you are experiencing...there is no requisite need to make others aware of it.  If, on the other hand, it *your way* of making the board cognizant of the psychological boredom you are in the midst of...well, there is even less need for us to know about that.

Guest Pamela

I deleted it twice now. If you need help finding the political forum just ask.

Don't look at me.  All I said was "why?"...or something...once.

I deleted it twice now. If you need help finding the political forum just ask.

Lol maybe you guys should send out a notice saying it was deleted . I post from my phone so sometimes the post doesn't go through which is what I though happened this time as well

Yet three airports within 6 miles of Central Park all reported between 28-31 inches and you believe the 26.8 is inflated? You obviously don't know the history of snowfall measurements in Central Park, most storms there big and small are under measured and despite NOAA's attempts to fix it, it has continued this year with the Conservancy.

Well of those locations aren't we talking LGA, JFK, EWR, Tetorborough as four out of the six of them?

Thanks.

And my son drove during the storm from Westchester to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, leaving at 3:00 p.m. and arriving at around 7:15 p.m. Almost double the normal length of travel but that wouldn't have happened during Mayor Lindsay. I suspect Mayor Lindsay was closer to a 20" storm since walking was almost impossible.

Archived