• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interesting differences in seasonal snowfall at KJFK vs KNYC

yhbrooklyn

JFK's records go back to 1964, so obviously the comparison can only include 1964-2015 for both sites.

From the 1964-65 winter through 1988-89, a span of 25 years, NYC beat JFK in snowfall 14 times, or 56%.

From 1989-90 to 2014-15, a span of 26 years, NYC beat JFK 24 times, or 92%.

I bring this up now because JFK is currently beating NYC by 4.2".

The largest discrepancy was 2010-11 @ 19.9". NYC 61.9", JFK 42.0".

The smallest was a tie in 1986-87 @ 23.1"

Why do you think NYC has been "winning" more lately? Warmer SSTs since the late 80s?

post-11-0-02707100-1453846696_thumb.png

Very interesting question, which I think needs a true case study to compare what is taking place here. I think variables such as warm sst's must be considered, but not just that they are warmer, but why they would cause such a drastic difference. True, JFK sits directly on the south shore, however, I propose that just the closer proximity would not be the sole contributing cause of this phenomenon; dynamics of a storm easily overtake this issue. The question also becomes, was measuring in any way shape or form switched during these years? If so, how? Was a different person put in charge of these measurements, and how many different times. I also propose the types of storms and relative teleconnections need to likewise be studied as well, to help account for disparities in measurements. If I have time, I would love to look into this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've been living in Sheepshead Bay for 30 years. I can definitely attest to the lower snowfall amounts we get along the south shore of Brooklyn. We usually change over within a few minutes of JFK changing over in those types of events. Being south of Manhattan on occasion has it's advantages in non-changeover, closer to coastal scraper events though. Even though those types of events seem not to occur as often as the changeover events.

I remember the winter of 13-14 (at least I think it was that winter) which had so much more snow roughly north of the L.I.E. across Long Island and the northern parts of Queens/Brooklyn, then the southern parts of those areas. 

JFK had serious measuring issues in the past 10 years I believe.  I want to say we had or have a poster here who lived in Woodmere a few miles east and he often discussed the massive difference from his house to the airport and when I lived in Merrick I saw it several times myself in events where they should have been similar.  The past 2 winters it seems they are doing better.

JFK had serious measuring issues in the past 10 years I believe. I want to say we had or have a poster here who lived in Woodmere a few miles east and he often discussed the massive difference from his house to the airport and when I lived in Merrick I saw it several times myself in events where they should have been similar. The past 2 winters it seems they are doing better.

Maybe Ace.

JFK had serious measuring issues in the past 10 years I believe. I want to say we had or have a poster here who lived in Woodmere a few miles east and he often discussed the massive difference from his house to the airport and when I lived in Merrick I saw it several times myself in events where they should have been similar. The past 2 winters it seems they are doing better.

Bingo. And yes they have been doing better since last winter.

Archived