• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

Hey tamarack.  At our house we measured 20-24" depending on what part of the property we were on.  We took the average and called it 22"

There's a car under there somewhere lol  :sled:

attachicon.gifSnow - Copy.JPG

Thanks, and love the pic!  Looks like even more than that on the car.  My largest NNJ storms were all at/about 24" - 3/18-19/56 (my dad found 23.5" in the front yard with accum snow not quite ended), 3/21-22/58, and 2/3-4/61.  This last had so much wind (NYC's strongest Feb wind on record) that, like the recent storm, it was very hard to measure.  However, it fell upon a 20"+ snowpack and gave NNJ its tallest pack on record, 40-45" at my place in Kinnelon, 47-52" on three coop sites 10-20 miles northwest.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, and love the pic! Looks like even more than that on the car. My largest NNJ storms were all at/about 24" - 3/18-19/56 (my dad found 23.5" in the front yard with accum snow not quite ended), 3/21-22/58, and 2/3-4/61. This last had so much wind (NYC's strongest Feb wind on record) that, like the recent storm, it was very hard to measure. However, it fell upon a 20"+ snowpack and gave NNJ its tallest pack on record, 40-45" at my place in Kinnelon, 47-52" on three coop sites 10-20 miles northwest.

No problem, and yeah it does look like more than 2 feet. Nice stats about Northern NJ, that's really an incredible snowpack.

This storm will definitely be one to remember.

I did an analysis on snowstorms over 10" in NYC and the compared obs from: CPK, LGA and JFK and determined that the was the number one snowstorm citywide for NYC. For older storm like 1888 I estimated the 18"-36" fell over the city. For this one I estimated 23"-34".

EWR: 28.1"

NYC: 26.8"

LGA: 27.9"

JFK: 30.5"

It doesn't even feel real typing those amounts. Just incredible.

• 4 months later...

Finally got out in it in wantagh after sleeping all day having. Worked 30 hours straight. Definitely several inches less thenManhattan. I wasn't sure why until I discoverd a layer of sleet. So here at home close to the bay it was about 22". Still solid but not what I saw at work. If say we lost 4-6" here to sleet

Wow-sleet?! Maybe it was snow grains? Dual pol was all snow for the entire event for the entire area. 

Maybe the snow also settled a lot in Wantagh too. Looks like there was a low report in Bellmore but other amounts around you were 24"+. 

I had 24" even with this. 22" were in my yard, but I did a walk around the whole neighborhood and generally got totals a bit higher. 

I also decided to act like a little kid and did a sprint down a whole block of untouched snow. I couldn't find my legs.

post-73-0-68349500-1464536338_thumb.png

i was looking at info for the blizzard in january and i came across this...At Central Park, a storm-total accumulation of 27.5 in (69.8 cm) was observed, the highest total on record for the city since observations began in 1869. This surpassed the previous record of 26.9 in (68.3 cm) measured during the February 2006 blizzard. does anyone know if this is the official tally at central park?

i was looking at info for the blizzard in january and i came across this...At Central Park, a storm-total accumulation of 27.5 in (69.8 cm) was observed, the highest total on record for the city since observations began in 1869. This surpassed the previous record of 26.9 in (68.3 cm) measured during the February 2006 blizzard. does anyone know if this is the official tally at central park?

yea, it was changed a while ago...fastest melting major storm ever without the help of heavy rain...

I had 24" even with this. 22" were in my yard, but I did a walk around the whole neighborhood and generally got totals a bit higher. 

I also decided to act like a little kid and did a sprint down a whole block of untouched snow. I couldn't find my legs.

attachicon.gif4.png

That's just amazing. Photos I saw on social media around Long Beach definitely tell me it must have been around the 24"+ totals estimated elsewhere. I don't think I ever saw snow like that, reminded me of the Boxing Day 2010 pics I saw in E NJ. There was a video I saw of the boardwalk late in the day during the blizzard and it was amazing. Visibility was a block or so. 

It was sad being home less than a month later and seeing only dark piles around from that storm and another heavy snow event after. That, plus we had the -1F reading at Central Park the morning after I landed, when I left low 80s here in Austin. :lol:

Can we finally put that 1996 blizzard stuff to rest now? We have had like 80 storms bigger then that since then

You can do whatever you want. Those of us who havent had a storm bigger than that will keep it where it belongs, at number 1.

Still not convinced this storm actually happened. Near as I can tell, it was partly cloudy on the date listed.

I had a decent storm...but at least 5 or 6 storms had more snow, and a whole bunch had more interesting obs.

But i guess since i was 16 during the blizzard of 96, my obs dont count. :/

Boxing Day is still my number 1 but last January was a close second.

Let's face it big inland snowstorms just don't happen anymore

Lol jk

This debate will live on and on. While Jan did screw people in the interior more people cashed in overall than in Boxing Day which was a very localized NYC/Eastern NJ storm. Every great storm screws somebody. There always has to be a sharp cutoff somewhere

Archived