joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 17-18th Cape Scrape and Inverted Trough

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely gonna be a mesoscale thing where the trough sets up. Mildly interesting here. Would be nice for even an inch or two.

I've been googling this and can't find it, but is there a "NORLUN checklist" like there has been developed for WINDEX? 

I keep finding literature on identifying what a NORLUN event looks like/is ... but the operational side is elusive. 

In any case, with the main baroclinic low escaping E and lingering deeper troughing moving over head, that should impose some instability axis (particularly considering how cold that mid troposphere is going to be).  

I find it interesting that the machines that crunch the GFS numbers recently were tripled in there computational capacity/speeds... jesus! I didn't know there was a unit called a 'petaflop'...   From NOAA's web -release, it sounds like Hurricane Sandy was a goodly bit of the impetus for the upgrades..   Ironic, when we were talking about Sandy some tend days to even two weeks before it happened, purely by skill of teleconnector modes, which were derived from the .8 petaflop machines.  I just hope they dense up the initialization grids to go along with - otherwise, what's the point.  I guess ur interpolations result in a finer mesh, which is good - but correct me if I am wrong: wouldn't it be also equally massive as an upgrade if we are actually giving the machine the data to crunch?  

what do I know. I digress...  

Anyway, the GFS is bit more obvious looking for NORLUN... It has light to moderate banded snows 24 to 36 hours parked just abeam of Cape Anne, which could be an attempt to actually snow along the NH/MA border... Plus, those sort of axis will pivot south given time.  

Looks like it trys to develop a mesolow off cape Ann like the RGEM does. Lift goes through the roof just offshore PSM

This/that happened once back in the mid 2000's prior to eastern becoming american.  You could actually see the tight gyre on sat - it almost looked like a "polar low"

...folks may want to google those - pretty fascinating read actually... 

It moved south through the Harbor with a band of quick moderate snow for eastern zones.  Can't recall the date on such an obscure fleeting event of inconsequential but ... I also saw something similar take place over the Great Lakes, too. 

I've been googling this and can't find it, but is there a "NORLUN checklist" like there has been developed for WINDEX? 

I keep finding literature on identifying what a NORLUN event looks like/is ... but the operational side is elusive. 

Try looking at the original paper...it has the checklist of parameters for a NORLUN...they use the NGM model in the original paper, but this can be adjusted for modern day guidance...the physical mechanisms of course aren't different.

http://www.mattnoyes.net/files/norlun-1.pdf

I find it interesting that the machines that crunch the GFS numbers recently were tripled in there computational capacity/speeds... jesus! I didn't know there was a unit called a 'petaflop'...   From NOAA's web -release, it sounds like Hurricane Sandy was a goodly bit of the impetus for that upgrades..   Ironic, when we were talking about Sand some tend days to even two weeks before it happened, purely by skill of teleconnector modes, which were derived from the .8 petaflop machines.  I just hope the dense up the initialization grids to go along with - otherwise, what's the point.  I guess ur interpolations result in a finer mesh, which is good - but correct me if I am wrong: wouldn't it be also equally massive as an upgrade if we are actually giving the machine the data to crunch?  

what do I know. I digress...  

Anyway, the GFS is bit more obvious looking for NORLUN... It has light to moderate banded snows 24 to 36 hours parked just abeam of Cape Anne, which could be an attempt to actually snow along the NH/MA border... Plus, those sort of axis will pivot south given time.  

Three petaflops is pretty solid. I believe the most powerful machines are around 30 petaflops, but the first exaflop machine is in the works in one of the national labs. As I understand it, to get highly accurate weather predictions at a range of two weeks would require zettaflop machines, which, at the current rate of growth, should show up around around 2030 (not even considering the advent of functional quantum computing). Referring back to the NORLUN, I don't know if there's a checklist per se, but perhaps you could find the old maps from the 1/7/11 event in CT and compare?

Three petaflops is pretty solid. I believe the most powerful machines are around 30 petaflops, but the first exaflop machine is in the works in one of the national labs. As I understand it, to get highly accurate weather predictions at a range of two weeks would require zettaflop machines, which, at the current rate of growth, should show up around around 2030 (not even considering the advent of functional quantum computing). Referring back to the NORLUN, I don't know if there's a checklist per se, but perhaps you could find the old maps from the 1/7/11 event in CT and compare?

I was kidding about not knowing what a petaflop is/was ( :) ) but yeah..interesting stuff.  

I think when quantum computing comes along we're going to see a lot of changes, some not all good ;)  but we won't go into that here.  

I think though that in a 100 years, (think, 'man will never fly an airplane - that's impossible!'), we'll see the first attempt at weather controls.  Actually...maybe it would even be before a hundred years - see Moore's Law on technological advancement. ...which ever comes first.  Getting to where the quantum scales can be precisely predicted at exotically tight tolerances is the first step toward using some sort of electromagnetism to 'instruct' momentum of particles.  Once that happens?   Less like science fiction and more like, "What does the weather-modification-matrix have in store for the week."  

It's funny...I was always taught that they could never really predict the weather out to ...pick a long lead, because of the irrepressible force of fractals in nature imposing emergent properties.  Those cannot be predicted - the way it went.  But, maybe "prediction" would no longer even be necessary, because prediction would become how ever we turn the knob.  

OT sorry -

Try looking at the original paper...it has the checklist of parameters for a NORLUN...they use the NGM model in the original paper, but this can be adjusted for modern day guidance...the physical mechanisms of course aren't different.

http://www.mattnoyes.net/files/norlun-1.pdf

yeah, I have seen that ... but thought perhaps something more refined was in play.  ...meaning, I didn't want to tediously translate the defunct NGM to ...what, the NAM?  egh... The NAM sucks -

Archived