joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/19-1/20 mid-week storm potential

Bsudweather

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there been a fantasy storm/run for this midweek system? I must have missed it. First I heard of this. I thought the weekend was the next shown threat.

It's not really a clipper, but it might as well be.  Weak system that tracks north of the area and brings light snow to TN and the mountains.  East of there, we see milky sunshine.  Things could change, though.  We could end up with partly sunny skies instead. :)

Low track equals moisture starved though......we need it 300 miles further south....2M dews are in the single digits over the Carolinas so its really cold and dry....

Next Fri/Sat gonna be the one we all freak on....with cold in place after 4-5 way below normal days leading into it.....

Would be nice if folks were talking about next weekend in the January thread.

Well Wed potential still showing up on the GFS. Looks pretty good for WNC and the upstate. And we are almost within 4 days.

That map doesn't look right to me at all. Snow and Ice south of the 540 line and what is with the 1027 H off the SC coast? Is there no low associated? The only thing a high off the coast would accomplish is to send the low to the lakes. Also, the eastern Canada High is too far north and weak to really help us much with the cold. Move that South about 800 miles and strengthen to 1030 or more and we might have a shot; that is if the H off the coast isn't really there. 

That map doesn't look right to me at all. Snow and Ice south of the 540 line and what is with the 1027 H off the SC coast? Is there no low associated? The only thing a high off the coast would accomplish is to send the low to the lakes. Also, the eastern Canada High is too far north and weak to really help us much with the cold. Move that South about 800 miles and strengthen to 1030 or more and we might have a shot; that is if the H off the coast isn't really there. 

It comes from Montana. Shouldn't make it over the mountains.

The high in Canada is in an ok spot, but that is probably our high sliding off the SC coast. The air mass is so cold for Mon and Tues, we are going to have stale cold and very dry air in place. This is just an upper disturbance , clipper type thing. Won't be a big deal due to lack of moisture anyhow

It comes from Montana. Shouldn't make it over the mountains.

If 850 hPa winds are strong enough, it could spill over peaks and into valleys of NC border counties. Euro was a strong NWFS event with 2-4 inches (10:1 ratio) among the border, thanks to westerly 40-50 kts winds into Eastern TN. I would be looking forward to this nice little gift if I'm a snow lover in WNC. 

Of course, if we're talking about beyond border counties, you're right. Downslope will rob the moisture for those farther east.

Archived