• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Severe Weather Thread

downeastnc

No real wind with this storm so far ( same one that formed west of Greensboro like 5 hrs ago) but the lightning is flat out ridiculous. Would not be surprised to see some reports of house fires this thing is putting em down. Second cell firing behind it went from nothing to monster hail core might get hit again. 

I am 45 miles to your southeast and I can see the lightning from that storm. Looks like Washington and Chocowinity are about to get slammed.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That second storm dropped golf balls just west of Fremont per several reports to our 911 center. also a couple of trees down along Hwy 222 Near Fremont.

Its dead now but it lived hard and fast lol.....hearing sirens around wonder if they are on lightning strike calls.....had dozens of close hits.....actually shook the house so hard one time a picture fell. 

Closing in on 4" since 5pm yesterday, only 30% chance tomorrow then Thur/Fri look stormy again might finish the week out with half a foot of rain. 

Does this storm over Johnston/me have a tornado sig right now?

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... AS OF 1059 PM TUESDAY......SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH HAS EXPIRED...A STRONG MESO-LOW OR MCV WAS TRACKING ACROSS JOHNSTON COUNTY TOWARDWILSON/WAYNE COUNTIES. THE MOVEMENT HAS BEEN ENE AT 55 TO 60 MPH ANDTHE REFLECTIVITY DISPLAY IS VERY IMPRESSIVE WITH THE MESO BECOMINGOCCLUDED. WE MAY HAVE TO CONTINUE TO WARN DOWNSTREAM INTO THEWILSON AND GOLDBORO AREAS BUT THE SPIN AND SEVERE THREAT SHOULD BEOUT OF THE REGION BY MIDNIGHT. 

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 1059 PM TUESDAY...

...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH HAS EXPIRED...

A STRONG MESO-LOW OR MCV WAS TRACKING ACROSS JOHNSTON COUNTY TOWARD

WILSON/WAYNE COUNTIES. THE MOVEMENT HAS BEEN ENE AT 55 TO 60 MPH AND

THE REFLECTIVITY DISPLAY IS VERY IMPRESSIVE WITH THE MESO BECOMING

OCCLUDED. WE MAY HAVE TO CONTINUE TO WARN DOWNSTREAM INTO THE

WILSON AND GOLDBORO AREAS BUT THE SPIN AND SEVERE THREAT SHOULD BE

OUT OF THE REGION BY MIDNIGHT.

Ok tried to insert inline but failing so reverting to this.

trim.53E0BA55-2B33-4EC2-A23F-465E31F34FF7.MOV

From RAH:

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS WITH MOSTLY SMALL HAIL WILLDEVELOP WITH DAYTIME HEATING THURSDAY AFTERNOON. A FEW STORMS WILLBE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGER HAIL...AROUND ONE TO ONE AND HALFINCHES IN DIAMETER...AND STRONG WIND GUSTS. 

From RAH:

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS WITH MOSTLY SMALL HAIL WILLDEVELOP WITH DAYTIME HEATING THURSDAY AFTERNOON. A FEW STORMS WILLBE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGER HAIL...AROUND ONE TO ONE AND HALFINCHES IN DIAMETER...AND STRONG WIND GUSTS. 

Well, two hailstorms here in one day, why not another to actually damage something? 

Good screen capture!

Thanks, any idea how to get it in-line and not a download? I have a .gif of it also.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
704 AM EDT WED MAY 11 2016

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-
704 AM EDT WED MAY 11 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AND MOVE EAST SOUTHEAST ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN COASTAL PLAIN THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SOME STORMS MAY BECOME SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND HAIL UP TO ONE AND A HALF INCHES IN DIAMETER.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION MAY BE NEEDED.

Slight Risk added for NC (might actually include Wilkesboro -- might be on the border -- it's close!):

post-987-0-71035200-1462985047_thumb.gif

...NC...
MODERATE CAPE VALUES WILL BE PRESENT THIS AFTERNOON FROM KY/TN INTO
PARTS OF VA/NC. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO FORM ALONG
THIS CORRIDOR AND TRACK SLOWLY EASTWARD. AS CLOUD COVER ERODES
ACROSS NC...IT APPEARS THERE WILL BE SUFFICIENT OVERLAP OF
DEEP-LAYER VERTICAL SHEAR AND CAPE TO POSE A RISK THAT A FEW OF THE
STORMS WILL PRODUCE HAIL AND GUSTY/DAMAGING WINDS. THEREFORE HAVE
ADDED A SLIGHT RISK AREA FOR THIS REGION.

Slight Risk added for NC (might actually include Wilkesboro -- might be on the border -- it's close!):

day1otlk_1630.gif

...NC...

MODERATE CAPE VALUES WILL BE PRESENT THIS AFTERNOON FROM KY/TN INTO

PARTS OF VA/NC. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO FORM ALONG

THIS CORRIDOR AND TRACK SLOWLY EASTWARD. AS CLOUD COVER ERODES

ACROSS NC...IT APPEARS THERE WILL BE SUFFICIENT OVERLAP OF

DEEP-LAYER VERTICAL SHEAR AND CAPE TO POSE A RISK THAT A FEW OF THE

STORMS WILL PRODUCE HAIL AND GUSTY/DAMAGING WINDS. THEREFORE HAVE

ADDED A SLIGHT RISK AREA FOR THIS REGION.

I'm under a high risk area!

High risk of drought, if we get no rain , today or tomorrow, because let me tell about cold fronts coming through in the morning to midday hours on Friday! The storms will fire right over Gaffney to CLT, while back this way, we bask in the downslope! :(

High risk of drought, if we get no rain , today or tomorrow, because let me tell about cold fronts coming through in the morning to midday hours on Friday! The storms will fire right over Gaffney to CLT, while back this way, we bask in the downslope! :(

You need to eat more tacos.  Rising warm air produces clouds and rain.

I'd say our chance is gone for today. Everything stays west and south of the Saluda River in upstate SC thanks to the clouds from the morning storms to our northwest. And yep there is a great chance the GSP metro stays mostly dry these next 3 afternoons.

Archived