Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-6 here already...with gusts to 30+

I never before remember the northern part of the house being so much cooler than the southern part. (with the heat on of course)

maybe 'Windchills' don't just effect the feeling on the 'skin'.

A power outage now would be devastating for the area....Insta-Freeze.  

Holy hell. My face has taken a beaten w/the wind but -6...shiet!

A little warmer here than I expected as well...8F currently, been holding there for a bit.

I was just outside around 4:30 or 4:35 am (on the north facing side of the house), and getting ready to come in when the snow on the ground lit up, brighter than a full moon, and the shadows seemed to shift from left to right - it lasted about 2 or 3 seconds, and it was extraordinary - my first thought was that there must have been a meteorite in the southern sky moving from east to west. I've never seen anything light up the ground that way, except for headlights or some other man-made source. A wow moment....

A little warmer here than I expected as well...8F currently, been holding there for a bit.

I was just outside around 4:30 or 4:35 am (on the north facing side of the house), and getting ready to come in when the snow on the ground lit up, brighter than a full moon, and the shadows seemed to shift from left to right - it lasted about 2 or 3 seconds, and it was extraordinary - my first thought was that there must have been a meteorite in the southern sky moving from east to west. I've never seen anything light up the ground that way, except for headlights or some other man-made source. A wow moment....

strange, I noticed the same in the southern sky.  Seemed brighter than normal all night.  Maybe solar flare ongoing.  

temp dropped another 2 degrees in last hour.  -12.6 

edit: I just noticed this -  (then , again if it was an aurora...it would of been in the northern sky...yet we both saw it in southern...hmmm)

AURORAS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY? NOAA forecasters estimate a 50% chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms on Valentine's Day. This in in response to a CME, expected to strike Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of Feb. 14th.

Wow.  I thought I was crazy.  I was at Wawa sitting in my car and I could have sworn that the whole sky lit up a blue color.  This was at 4:35 AM.  Must have been a meteor.  

Edit:  Definitely wasn't the Aurora, much too short and much too bright.  My first thought was a blown transformer, but being as bright as it was, I would've heard it if it was a transformer.  

strange, I noticed the same in the southern sky.  Seemed brighter than normal all night.  Maybe solar flare ongoing.  

temp dropped another 2 degrees in last hour.  -12.6 

edit: I just noticed this -  (then , again if it was an aurora...it would of been in the northern sky...yet we both saw it in southern...hmmm)

I found a site for fireball/meteorite sightings and there were a handful of reports from PA, NJ and MD all around the same time, so it was definitely something. It lasted a couple of seconds or so.

-12.6 that's cold! Down to 7F here, a real struggle so far getting close to 0F.

I found a site for fireball/meteorite sightings and there were a handful of reports from PA, NJ and MD all around the same time, so it was definitely something. It lasted a couple of seconds or so.

-12.6 that's cold! Down to 7F here, a real struggle so far getting close to 0F.

The main thing that I've seen light up a sky blue like that at night is an exploding barrel transformer up on a pole. Just one can be dramatic.

Temp 6F here in the hills and has been slowly dropping but we still have some gusty NW winds going on around the area which is precluding any radiational cooling.

I was just searching for fireball meteors.  Glad you found it.  At least I know I'm not that crazy.  

It took a while to find a good site with "fresh" observations, and I asked my partner "you saw it, right?" a couple of times, lol. (She was outside with me).

The site I found is American Meteor Society, the page with the pending reports is here:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/browse_reports?event=PENDING

They are all pending until some sort of confirmation I suppose. There are at least 30 sightings around the same time listed there.

It took a while to find a good site with "fresh" observations, and I asked my partner "you saw it, right?" a couple of times, lol. (She was outside with me).

The site I found is American Meteor Society, the page with the pending reports is here:

They are all pending until some sort of confirmation I suppose. There are at least 30 sightings around the same time listed there.

Nice, thanks.  I searched that site and didn't find it.  Need more coffee maybe.  Looks like it was seen all over the Mid-Atlantic/NE.  

Missed it by a half hour... :(

I'm a smoker, so the first thing I do when I wake up is get the coffee started and go outside for a smoke. I got up this morning at 5:00am...

Archived