• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Buffalo Lake Effect 2014 Slideshow

The anniversary of one of Buffalos top lake effect storms is coming up on Tuesday. I put together a quick video of the best pictures and some video that I was able to find. I apologize for a few of the repeats! I hope you guys like it!

As a huge lake effect enthusiast I also did some research about the top events to last years storm to see if anything in the history of the area was ever even close to the severity that this event had. Many were close and I still think 1977 beats it quite handily, but it would be # 2 in my book. Here are some of the top events that I was able to research.

I gathered some of the data pre 85 on this research paper about the Blizzard of 1977.

http://www.nwas.org/...2no03-Dewey.pdf

Here are just a few of the note-worthy events.

October 18-19 1930

The first lake-effect snowfall of the season in the vicinity of Buffalo, New York usually occurs mid-November. However, in 1930, a lake-effect snowstorm struck the region as early as October 18-19. Over four feet of snow occurred in the southern and western suburbs of Buffalo during this weekend storm stranding many tourists who had been out enjoying the colorful autumn foliage.

December 8-10 1937

Wiggin described two examples of a severe lake-effect storm occurrence in Buffalo. The first memorable storm noted by Wiggin occurred during December 8-10 1937. A fall of three feet of snow was observed in North Buffalo and over four feet of snow in the northern suburbs.

December 14-18, 1945

The second Lake-effect storm described by Wiggins occurred on December 14-18, 1945. The airport measured 36.6 inches in this particular storm and falls in excess of 70 inches were reported just four to six miles to the south. The governor of New York declared a state of emergency for the western portion of New York.

November 22-23, 1956

A Lake Erie induced lake-effect snowstorm on November 22-23, 1956, which produced up to 48 inches of snow just to the south and west of Buffalo.

November 22-23 1957

This event repeated itself exactly one year later on November 22-23 1957 in the same area and with similar magnitudes of snowfall of up to 48 inches.

December 5-11, 1958

Perhaps the most intense lake-effect storm ever to hit the Buffalo, New York area lasted from December 5-11, 1958. A storm total of six feet (with some unofficial measurements of over eight feet) of snowfall was observed in the snow-belt just south of Buffalo.

November 23-24, 1970

A lake-effect snowstorm on November 23-24, 1970 produced only 24 inches of snow, however, the most memorable aspect of this storm was the extensive 12 foot drifts throughout the southern suburbs of Buffalo.

November 29-Dec 2, 1976

The lake effect snowstorm originating over Lake Erie during November 29-December 2nd paralyzed activities in portions of the seven western counties of the State. Snowfall amounts exceeded 48 inches in Hamburg and at the Buffalo Airport.

December 16-19 1983

Had storm totals of 40" and higher in the city of Buffalo and its surrounding suburbs.

Blizzard of 1985

On January 18, 1985, Buffalo was hit by the “Six Pack Blizzard.” The storm dropped 33.2 inches of snow with winds gusting to 53 mph. It was during this storm that Mayor Jimmy Griffin told Buffalonians to “Stay inside, grab a six-pack and watch a good football game.” This by far is one of the best lines EVER voiced by a political leader. The storm dropped 33.2 inches with winds gusting to 53 mph.

post-16475-1264297607.png

9-10 December 1995

38 inches of snow in 24 hours. Heart of the metro area hit the hardest. Highest snowfall in 24 hours at KBUF airport.

November 20th 2000

25 inches of snow in 24 hours most of which fell from 2-10 pm.

December Christmas week 2001

82.6" of snow at KBUF.. Largest lake snow event at KBUF

strmtotl.gif

October 12-13 2006

Buffalos earliest season snowfall. 2 feet of snow storm totals.

EventSnowfall_2006_10_02.gif

40+ inches in the Buffalo southtowns. 42" at East Aurora

40+ inches just south of Buffalo and eastern suburbs. Max of 42" at Depew

If I had to do a top 10 ranking it would be the following

1.) 1977

2.) 2014

3.) 2001

4.) 1958

5.) 1945

6.) 1930

7.) 1985

8.) 1937

9.) 1956 & 57 Nearly identical events

10.) 2006

idk why this doesn't have any replies yet, but this was an awesome read. You didn't really go into 77, you just went over 76?

The Blizzard of 77 did not have much snow but it was the wind and the snow on the ground that caused that storm to be so significant. The LES of 76 contributed to the enormous amount of snow that was on the ground and the frozen lake erie with winds gusting over hurricane force that burried homes completely. That storm gave Buffalo its name.

Here is a good overview of the Blizzard of 1977. There were snow drifts 30-40' feet high, insane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

Fun fact about that storm were the insane snow depths. Crazy!

Sears Pond, about 20 mi (32 km) southeast of Watertown, recorded a snow depth of 77.3 inches (196 cm) with a liquid equivalent of 19.23 in (488.4 mm).

Witnessing something like this is on my bucket list. Next year, I'm planning on writing my thesis about LES (or maybe OES in SE Mass). Should be fun! :)

Thanks man! It really was an event of a lifetime and only got a few hours of sleep the entire week. It was just to much fun walking around in those insane snowfall rates. I would definitely recommend chasing one of these events, nothing beats it!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived