• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Observation Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

Yeah most definitely..and really it's been like this for a few years now. That's not to say there hasn't been any dry spells and some screwjobs but overall it seems like it has been. It really seems like there has been an unusual amount of really big precip events, I've lost track on how many there has been this year. This last one I finished with 5.75..getting a half foot of rain in October/early November is pretty impessive...even though that seems tiny vs the SC flood totals lol

Just check out the yearly, monthly, and weekly radar estimated totals and you can see just how wet it's been. As you can see a lot of areas between i20 and i85 and of course much more so for sc are already well ahead of climo for the entire year and we still have 2 months to go.It sure beats what seemed like endless drought or really dry conditions of years past. 

http://water.weather.gov/precip/

Yeah, you've been luckier than me the last few years...I'm only just now switching over since mid summer.  I've gotten so used to average events being .2, or .3, and for years and years, and now they nearly are all an inch or more.  I'll never forget that snow train you got all afternoon, while I was seeing sun, lol.  I still haven't quite forgiven you for that :)  For so long I've just been trying to eek out more than one or two tenths, particularly in winter, and suddenly every time it rains it's an inch... or at least half an inch, and usually way more than an inch.  Now if this will just translate into winter.

I'm fascinated by what's causing this reversal, because it has to be on a minute level to switch the tracking less than 50 miles, and the orientation of the fronts when they pass.  For so long the fronts would drape from a decided ne to sw bent leaving me out of the precip until the event was nearly over, while the Ala/Ga border up thru Atlanta was getting trained on.... and now the line up has moved east enough to get me time after time, and I'm in the event the whole time, and not just a few hours at the end.

Nice link, by the way...thanks for that!  Tony

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing today here either...

This could make for a fun commute in the morning, if it materializes...

AREAS OF DENSE FOG MAY DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT...ESPECIALLY EASTOF HIGHWAY 1. THE DENSE FOG WILL REDUCE THE VISIBILITY AT TIMES TOJUST A FEW FEET. A DENSE FOG ADVISORY MAY BE NECESSARY IF THEDENSE FOG BECOMES WIDESPREAD.

A LOT of traces

NC-DH-34 

Durham 5.2 NW 

Lat: 36.034668 

Lon: -78.980595 

* indicates Multi-Day Accumulation Report

Station       NC-DH-34

Date Precip in.

10/25/2015 0.00

10/26/2015 0.00

10/27/2015 0.09

10/28/2015 0.47

10/29/2015 0.87

10/30/2015 T

10/31/2015 0.00

11/01/2015 T

11/02/2015 0.65

11/03/2015 1.25

11/04/2015 0.05

11/05/2015 T

11/06/2015 T

11/07/2015 T

Totals : 3.38 in.

826 AM EST SAT NOV 7 2015

...AN AREA OF SHOWERS AND STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT PORTIONS

OF WAKE...SOUTHERN DURHAM...WEST CENTRAL FRANKLIN AND SOUTHWESTERN

GRANVILLE COUNTIES UNTIL 915 AM EST...

AT 824 AM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED AN

AREA OF SHOWERS AND STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM

DURHAM TO 9 MILES EAST OF SANFORD...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

HEAVY RAIN AND DEADLY CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH

THESE STORMS.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

RALEIGH...DURHAM...CARY...CHAPEL HILL...CREEDMOOR...WAKE FOREST...

GARNER...BUTNER...ZEBULON AND RDU INTERNATIONAL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TORRENTIAL RAINFALL IS OCCURRING WITH THESE STORMS...AND MAY LEAD TO

FLASH FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS.

Archived