• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October Banter 2015

Snowless in Carrollton

I wonder why whenever the models show such extreme solutions it never works out that way. Or maybe the question should be why do the models show such extreme solutions as often as they do, especially when it comes to snow totals around here.

Only doesn't work for our area, expect it again for this winter.   Although I could care less about 1" or 5" of rain but if this was winter/snow this would be hard to swallow.  Someone is going to get 10-15" of rain, my guess is CAE and points east.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why whenever the models show such extreme solutions it never works out that way. Or maybe the question should be why do the models show such extreme solutions as often as they do, especially when it comes to snow totals around here.

the trick is not to listen to the model hype. Extreme events are rare.

I'm looking at the Meteogram Generator for KRDU, which also shows recent current conditions. It looks like the only thing the models have gotten right today so far is the wind direction and dewpoint.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=krdu&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=11&max_t=on&cobb=on&compaction=on&mean_mt=on&max_mt=on&mean=on

I can't help but comparing this type of thing to what we see in the winter...and I always have a rule to not trust any storm for CLT that's going to bring moisture from the Atlantic from the east (as opposed to a storm tapping gulf moisture heading east).  It never gets far enough west and/or the qpf is always way over done.  I could be wrong and we could get some good amounts due to this special meteorological situation, but if I were a betting man I think the good money is on the highest amounts staying east nearer the coast. 

I can't help but comparing this type of thing to what we see in the winter...and I always have a rule to not trust any storm for CLT that's going to bring moisture from the Atlantic from the west (as opposed to a storm tapping gulf moisture heading east). It never gets far enough west and/or the qpf is always way over done. I could be wrong and we could get some good amounts due to this special meteorological situation, but if I were a betting man I think the good money is on the highest amounts staying east nearer the coast.

Models spitting out crazy numbers can only be ignored in winter! Think Euro snow maps :)

I think somebody could easily " bullseye" with 15"

IMO !

Archived