joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

84/73/10/.16 for tomorrow.

I think it's interesting that Islip recorded stronger winds than KTPA even despite Islip's latitude. I thought since KTPA is orientated perpendicular to the westerlies, they'd record stronger winds. Must be a climatological phenomena related to the boundary layer if I had to guess. There's no way it's because of land interference  :lol:

84/73/10/.16 for tomorrow.

I think it's interesting that Islip recorded stronger winds than KTPA even despite Islip's latitude. I thought since KTPA is orientated perpendicular to the westerlies, they'd record stronger winds. Must be a climatological phenomena related to the boundary layer if I had to guess. There's no way it's because of land interference  :lol:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that KTPA is in the subtropics. ;)

KTPA and the mystery of rain...

KTPA 200353Z 00000KT 10SM BKN004 OVC070 24/23 A3005 RMK AO2 RAE50 SLP174 P0002 T02390228 $
KTPA 200453Z 05005KT 10SM BKN004 BKN029 24/23 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP169 P0002 T02390228 402830239 $

Not quite sure how they managed 0.02" of precip with no rain in the RMK section or in any intra hour obs. Another potential fault like what happened on day 1, or what? 

KTPA and the mystery of rain...

Not quite sure how they managed 0.02" of precip with no rain in the RMK section or in any intra hour obs. Another potential fault like what happened on day 1, or what? 

Via metar they are technically supposed to put out a SPECI if an when precip ends and starts. But i feel as though if they did this when multiple showers came through it would become monotonous

Went with 83/71/13/0.04"

Today went just about as expected end up with around .12-.15" (didnt really get to add) Wouldnt be surprised if overnight they got pop up showers to add. Im a little concerned about the high might go higher but figure clouds would stay around till around 2 which would inhibit most of the warming time.

Via metar they are technically supposed to put out a SPECI if an when precip ends and starts. But i feel as though if they did this when multiple showers came through it would become monotonous

Generally you would at least put something in the hourly report though mentioning when rain began/ended right?

Anyways 0.19" in the first hour of the day... That's gonna drop me quite a bit

Precip for days 6-8 has been just about as frustrating as I've ever seen it.

My day 6 reasoning: Organized line of thunderstorms forms along the sea breeze, brief but heavy rain falls before the band shifts east.

Actuality: Exactly that, except every heavier cell misses the airport.

My day 7 reasoning: Models are underdoing the frontal precipitation. Moderate showers and thunderstorms will last for 6 hours or more, and at least one or two hours of 0.1"+ will add to the lighter amounts in between.

Actuality: Exactly that, except every heavier cell misses the airport. Until...

My day 8 reasoning: A few showers will be left over just after 06z, but they will be lighter and sporadic. Probably not much more than getting knicked by one for a few hundredths.

Actuality: Exactly that, except the one heavy cell pops up directly over the airport within minutes of the 06z observation.

So... right idea on all three counts, but my precip forecast is one of the worst in the country. Meanwhile, the nation as a whole, who (in large part) didn't anticipate the heavy sea-breeze thunderstorms, and trusted the models that the frontal band would be weaker (at least moreso than I did), gets it exactly wrong and winds up with much better precipitation forecasts.

Generally you would at least put something in the hourly report though mentioning when rain began/ended right?

Anyways 0.19" in the first hour of the day... That's gonna drop me quite a bit

Yea i have been trying to figure it out and i cant. There were a couple times in this city when SPECI reports were posted and honestly couldnt figure it out since it didnt hit any of the criteria.

Who knows.

Archived