• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
And we begin.....

It's early but I want to start knowing that we may have another week of ice melt with transient snow gains/losses. But we're at that point that we can begin to note the progress of snow advance and I've started this thread most often in the past 15 years so here we go! Today's picture hard linked so it won't change.

post-79-0-20141000-1441579071_thumb.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SAI as well. I've been looking for Woolybears, but I think they all froze to death last winter- or migrated south! :)

Saw one yesterday! Totally solid light brown.

Myth: The more brown, the warmer the winter.

UPDATE 2: Found another today! Totally black with just highlights of brown! 

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

:axe:

Yes sir, Eurasian snowcover and AO correlation. Big fail last year.

There were big losses in late October and early November, which along with that disruption of the polar vortex by that recurving Pacific typhoon (someone help me on the name?) may have put the screws to it pretty early on. Which brings us back to the question of exactly which time frame to monitor snow cover extent and advance? If anything, snow cover extent won out over snow advance last winter, still providing us with lots of cold air to work with instead of forcing -AO.

There were big losses in late October and early November, which along with that disruption of the polar vortex by that recurving Pacific typhoon (someone help me on the name?) may have put the screws to it pretty early on. Which brings us back to the question of exactly which time frame to monitor snow cover extent and advance? If anything, snow cover extent won out over snow advance last winter, still providing us with lots of cold air to work with instead of forcing -AO.

Nuri, and agreed on the rest. it will be interesting to see how it works out or doesn't work out this year.

Maybe the deadline should be extended to the first 10 days of November?

I think the fact that it ultimately did get cold(albeit late) last winter was a case of being right for the wrong reasons (as far as Mr. Cohen and SAI is concerned). I have not seen much, or any, evidence to suggest that last winter's cold period in the NE US had any correlation to the rate of snow advance in October. After all, the basis of his research is that the result of the Eurasian October snow advance allows for the negative phase of the AO to be predominant, and that this is the primary mechanism for cold air delivery into the US. Once again, that did not happen. 

I think the fact that it ultimately did get cold(albeit late) last winter was a case of being right for the wrong reasons (as far as Mr. Cohen and SAI is concerned). I have not seen much, or any, evidence to suggest that last winter's cold period in the NE US had any correlation to the rate of snow advance in October. After all, the basis of his research is that the result of the Eurasian October snow advance allows for the negative phase of the AO to be predominant, and that this is the primary mechanism for cold air delivery into the US. Once again, that did not happen. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but what was the state of the stratospheric polar vortex last winter? Was it stronger or weaker than normal? If it was weaker, that would have aligned well with last year's SAI. The only connection that wouldn't have been made, in that case, would have been the (surface-)AO part.

It's early but I want to start knowing that we may have another week of ice melt with transient snow gains/losses. But we're at that point that we can begin to note the progress of snow advance and I've started this thread most often in the past 15 years so here we go! Today's picture hard linked so it won't change.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

10 days later...

post-79-0-18063800-1442487589_thumb.jpg

Archived