SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropics: Erika

SACRUS

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The intensity models are starting to diverge. They were all sure of a strengthening storm in 72 hours. Now not so sure. Puerto Rico and the north coast of DR is going to be tough for this thing

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Actually all models do show strengthening as of 72hrs.  You must mean less strengthening than earlier outputs.

Starting look like this takes a much further westerly path, maybe even missing PR and Hispanola but to the south instead of to the north.

Your focusing to much on the convection instead of the center. I will say however it's not looking good I would put chances of the Dominican republic mountains tearing this apart as high right now.

Your focusing to much on the convection instead of the center. I will say however it's not looking good I would put chances of the Dominican republic mountains tearing this apart as high right now.

many factors appear to be pointing to this being a weak non factor for many-shear, a possible path across mountainous land, Carribean conditions not that favorable etc.  All the conditions pointing to a bigger storm were predicated on a further north path which has not materialized. Still moving due west as of the last NHC update. Can't buy a strong hurricane the past 7 -8 years

The funniest part about the GGEM is that it shows Erika moving OTS and then it gets trapped by an ULL over the Lakes and tugged back towards the coast. The flooding would rival all time records on the DE River and it would be pretty nasty up here too, although the reservoirs are a lot lower than they were preceding Irene. 

When the system crosses the NJ coast the pressure is somewhere around the upper 980's. Think of it as a strong Noreaster. Unfortunately the right front quadrant goes right over NYC, but the winds probably wouldn't be that bad. 

gem_mslp_wind_eus_32.png

Coming from that angle we would probably see a decent pre as well.

If you want to see something that will really make you LOL then look at the end of the 12z GFS, now that's much closer to a Sandy esque event.

At hr 300 it has the center near Bermuda and and at hr 372 it's just SE of the 40/70 Benchmark, clipping Cape Cod with a < 965mb surface pressure. 

All caused by a deep trough building into the TN Valley. About 12 hours sooner and it would have kept hooking right into New England.

975mb is not even the true pressure. This would rival Sandy and be entirely warm-core.

gfs_pres_wind_atl_52.png

That's more like an Edna. Devestating for ENE but we are on the western weaker side. It really wouldn't be all that bad. As depicted.

I really think Erica is going to relocate under the southern convection and take a track right in to 10k mountains. Aka see ya! Not a Debby downer either just looks like reality

That's more like an Edna. Devestating for ENE but we are on the western weaker side. It really wouldn't be all that bad. As depicted.

I really think Erica is going to relocate under the southern convection and take a track right in to 10k mountains. Aka see ya! Not a Debby downer either just looks like reality

I would hope so, but it looks to be reforming now and the window is closing for collapse.

Well there my freind is what I dream of. That would mean just tremendous surf for an extended period during the warmest water temps of the year.

Another 600 year event. Aka not gonna happen

Obviously if it happens, something has changed in the system. Coming only 3 years after Sandy. It's likely we will see some adjustments down the road in mean TC tracks. The process is detailed somewhat in Hansen's melt dynamics paper.

The northward relocation of the Bermuda/Azores high is a novel indicator.

I would hope so, but it looks to be reforming now and the window is closing for collapse.

One thing is for sure PR needs rain. I'm surprised you are rooting for dissipation. I personally would like to see this bomb out in the Bahamas. (They can handle anything under a cat3 with minimal impact) then slowly recurve between the OBX and Bermuda. Jeff masters who has forgotten more then I know is putting chances low 20% of dissapation. I think it's higher at 50%

One thing is for sure PR needs rain. I'm surprised you are rooting for dissipation. I personally would like to see this bomb out in the Bahamas. (They can handle anything under a cat3 with minimal impact) then slowly recurve between the OBX and Bermuda. Jeff masters who has forgotten more then I know is putting chances low 20% of dissapation. I think it's higher at 50%

I agree with Jeff Masters but I think this is a grave threat down the road and is not worth the damage. It's out of my hands so I am just a spectator.

Archived