SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tropics: Erika

SACRUS

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can use some rain, but this isn't likely to happen here.

Nothing can be ruled out.  This could be Tropical Storm Baccula or track like Andrew or Hugo for all we know.  In any case something of interest to keep an eye on along with the warmth.

Yes, that's Gloria.

Rode that storm out at my parents house in Massapequa. Eye passed right overhead. I wasn't even one year old and had notched my first hurricane landfall  :lol:

Erika still has forever to go. First up will be to see if she survives shear and dry air. 

Rode that storm out at my parents house in Massapequa. Eye passed right overhead. I wasn't even one year old and had notched my first hurricane landfall  :lol:

Erika still has forever to go. First up will be to see if she survives shear and dry air. 

Agree...given that, it's possible it just dissipates over the next 2-3 days

Making a recovery with deeper convection closer to the center but I agree that Erika needs to survive the next 72 hours, then it should be in a much more favorable environment, unless you believe in the GFS.

avn_lalo-animated.gif

All the problems aside at least it's a much larger circulation then Danny.

And Gloria would have been just as bad as Sandy surge wise had it hit at high not low tide. For Long Island.

In Oceanside we were on the western edge of the inside of the eye.  I remember going from super stormy to bright and sunny then back into the soup but missing the real storminess.  What a mess the beach was in Lido/Long Beach the day after.

In Oceanside we were on the western edge of the inside of the eye. I remember going from super stormy to bright and sunny then back into the soup but missing the real storminess. What a mess the beach was in Lido/Long Beach the day after.

Sandy was much worse in Long Beach than Gloria. Gloria caused some surge damage to the boardwalk and flooded some low lying homes, Sandy forced the entire boardwalk to have to be replaced, made the beach practically unrecognizable and washed feet of sand into town, and destroyed nearly 1000 homes just in Long Beach, while heavily damaging thousands more. A combination of high tide, being on the right front quadrant, and the huge storm size. I wasn't alive for Gloria, but locals chuckle when comparing the two, not even worthy of the same conversation.

Sandy was much worse in Long Beach than Gloria. Gloria caused some surge damage to the boardwalk and flooded some low lying homes, Sandy forced the entire boardwalk to have to be replaced, made the beach practically unrecognizable and washed feet of sand into town, and destroyed nearly 1000 homes just in Long Beach, while heavily damaging thousands more. A combination of high tide, being on the right front quadrant, and the huge storm size. I wasn't alive for Gloria, but locals chuckle when comparing the two, not even worthy of the same conversation.

Gloria was more of a pure tropical event. In that the strongest winds and highest surge were confined to the right front quadrant only. Long beach was on the west side of the eye. Throw in a low tide landfall and it wasn't that bad. Had it been further west and high tide and it would have been worse then Sandy as Gloria had an intact core and eye wall with winds stronger then Sandy and a much larger surge. Again east of the eye wall. There were gusts in suffolk to 120 in Gloria. Far stronger then Sandy

Archived