joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2015

mackerel_sky

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, as some of you know, I've been trying to move to another city, preferably a city that has more snow. I had a job interview in Cincinnati but that didn't work out. But now I have a pretty good chance at a job in Greenville, SC. I know Greenville isn't Buffalo but at least they get some snow every winter right ?  I'm looking at a map of average snowfall by county in SC and it looks like there is quite a gradient from north to south in Greenville County, from 8 inches in the extreme north to 1 inch in the extreme south, with about 4" in Greenville.

Hey guys, as some of you know, I've been trying to move to another city, preferably a city that has more snow. I had a job interview in Cincinnati but that didn't work out. But now I have a pretty good chance at a job in Greenville, SC. I know Greenville isn't Buffalo but at least they get some snow every winter right ?

Not last winter, unless you count trace amounts!

When you live in GSP area, you'll just wish you lived in CLT or Roxboro! They get something every winter! And from GSP , it's only an hour or so to Asheville , and the higher mountains , and they get snow EVERY winter, somewhere up there!

Edit: you will want to live N of interstate 85, if you move to Greenville, that's always the rain/snow cut off line! :(

Your best chance for snow would be to live near Caesars head. They have the coldest recorded low ever in SC, I believe, and one of the highest single storm totals for snow I believe

if I get the job I will probably try to find a place near berea or Taylors since that's close to where I would be working. Possibly even Travelers Rest.

Not last winter, unless you count trace amounts!

When you live in GSP area, you'll just wish you lived in CLT or Roxboro! They get something every winter! And from GSP , it's only an hour or so to Asheville , and the higher mountains , and they get snow EVERY winter, somewhere up there!

Edit: you will want to live N of interstate 85, if you move to Greenville, that's always the rain/snow cut off line! :(

Greenville SC averages 6.8" of snow per year.  Charlotte NC averages 5.8".  I live near Greensboro NC, which I am proud to say averages more snow per year than the South Pole.  

Greenville SC averages 6.8" of snow per year.  Charlotte NC averages 5.8".  I live near Greensboro NC, which I am proud to say averages more snow per year than the South Pole.  

I didnt realize Greenville averaged that much. Hopefully I will be able to move there and this winter will be epic in the Carolinas. Screw Georgia. I hope they get nothing ( if I move). 

I didnt realize Greenville averaged that much. Hopefully I will be able to move there and this winter will be epic in the Carolinas. Screw Georgia. I hope they get nothing ( if I move). 

The up state of SC usually benefits from any CAD that effects the SE. that's where I would live if moving to SC. In NC, outside the mountains, I would pick Greensboro. They seem to be in the game for most winter events. But I do like my location as well.   

The up state of SC usually benefits from any CAD that effects the SE. that's where I would live if moving to SC. In NC, outside the mountains, I would pick Greensboro. They seem to be in the game for most winter events. But I do like my location as well.

Agreed! But the snow capital of NC outside the mountains, it's Roxboro! If there is 1 county that will be under a watch, warning or advisory for ice or snow, it will be Person county!

I will greatly enjoy and indulge in the wonderful irony that's to come when I get plastered in double digit snowfall in GA while you sadly look at your first and only snowflake to fall from the sky mixing with a cold, miserable rain as the highlight of your first winter in SC. :raining:   :lol:

Haha, this is true.  I think the South Pole averages around 7" per year, IIRC?

BTW, snowlover, I am not sure if moving to a city just for its snowfall is a great idea.  I mean, I love snow, too, but that seems a little excessive.

Archived