• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

Took a quick look at what the top 5 strong nino events looked like in August. Persistent low height anomaly in SE Canada stands out. Ridge over northern europe and AK and a low height anomaly over the western arctic basin stands out as well. 

Ensembles pretty much move towards a very similar LW pattern through the first week of August. Unlikely to be a coincidence. 

post-2035-0-09465800-1438098945_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-32918600-1438098949_thumb.jp

post-2035-0-47575300-1438098953_thumb.jp

Nino climo typically favors cooler temps east of the MS river in August. Let's hope we move in this direction through the month and have met summer close out being pretty benign and easy. It's been easy so far and persistent big heat isn't on the radar at any range right now. 

post-2035-0-11904300-1438099165_thumb.jp

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a quick look at what the top 5 strong nino events looked like in August. Persistent low height anomaly in SE Canada stands out. Ridge over northern europe and AK and a low height anomaly over the western arctic basin stands out as well. 

Ensembles pretty much move towards a very similar LW pattern through the first week of August. Unlikely to be a coincidence. 

attachicon.gifAug Nino h5.JPG

attachicon.gifeuro ens d10.JPG

attachicon.gifgefs d10.JPG

Nino climo typically favors cooler temps east of the MS river in August. Let's hope we move in this direction through the month and have met summer close out being pretty benign and easy. It's been easy so far and persistent big heat isn't on the radar at any range right now

attachicon.gifnino august temps.JPG

It's mid 90s this week and next?

Definitely agree that we flip into a cooler than average pattern towards the 2nd week of August. Until then I think we'll continue to run warm, as we have for most of the summer.

Higher-frequency forcing is emerging in the wake of the last MJO event, superimposed on the antecedent Niño forcing. That should allow ENSO to take the wheel on the wx pattern for awhile going forward.

It's mid 90s this week and next?

Yeah, it's been persistently warmer than average despite the lack of extreme heat. The modeling has been overplaying the cool airmasses here all summer.

The problem this time is the trough axis is oriented a bit too far west, at least to start, hence we're stuck in the right front quadrant for awhile (W/SW flow in low/mid levels) before it finally moves in 10-15 days from now.

Yeah, it's been persistently warmer than average despite the lack of extreme heat. The modeling has been overplaying the cool airmasses here all summer.

The problem this time is the trough axis is oriented a bit too far west, at least to start, hence we're stuck in the right front quadrant for awhile (W/SW flow in low/mid levels) before it finally moves in 10-15 days from now.

Maybe for dc proper but definitely not in the burbs. IAD/BWI are 50/50 above and below normal days for July. Both are still running below for the month but BWI will lose the fight shortly. Models have been over estimating the cool airmasses but have equally overestimated the warm ones. 

I don't compare my sensible weather to DCA and most on here don't either because it doesn't represent the majority of our yards. July hasn't been persistently warm for most of us. It's been quite pleasant. Every 3-4 day run of warm gets knocked out of the way with low dews and/or bn temps. This week is the same thing. Warm and increasing humidity through thursday but them lower dew air slides in Friday. Hopefully it lasts the weekend. 90/60-65 is easy peasy. We'll see what happens down the line but my wag is next week is a repeat. Warms up for a few then a front clears.

attachicon.gifAug Nino h5.JPG

attachicon.gifeuro ens d10.JPG

attachicon.gifgefs d10.JPG

Nino climo typically favors cooler temps east of the MS river in August. Let's hope we move in this direction through the month and have met summer close out being pretty benign and easy. It's been easy so far and persistent big heat isn't on the radar at any range right now. 

attachicon.gifnino august temps.JPG

CFS2 agrees for August

usT2mMonInd1.gif

The cool folks oversell as much as the warm. We didn't torch long and hard in July but it was a pretty typical July around here outside a few nice days.

So far the pattern since spring has tended to favor warmth winning over cool for primarily the SE US... I'd not be that shocked if that continues into Aug. We're sorta the battle zone on that perhaps.

The cool folks oversell as much as the warm. We didn't torch long and hard in July but it was a pretty typical July around here outside a few nice days.

So far the pattern since spring has tended to favor warmth winning over cool for primarily the SE US... I'd not be that shocked if that continues into Aug. We're sorta the battle zone on that perhaps.

I think that once you get into the mid-80s with humidity, it'll always feel pretty typically summer.  When you get into the mid-90s is when it starts to seem abnormal.  If we get dry 80s, then it makes things that much more pleasant.

I'd also suggest that mid- to long-range model heat has always been knocked down as we've gotten closer in.  We've seen more than a couple instances of low- to mid-90s showing up a week or more out, only for that to verify a good 5+ degrees lower.

I think that once you get into the mid-80s with humidity, it'll always feel pretty typically summer.  When you get into the mid-90s is when it starts to seem abnormal.  If we get dry 80s, then it makes things that much more pleasant.

I'd also suggest that mid- to long-range model heat has always been knocked down as we've gotten closer in.  We've seen more than a couple instances of low- to mid-90s showing up a week or more out, only for that to verify a good 5+ degrees lower.

I'm weird but usually I think of Aug as offering the first tastes of fall anyway.. if nothing else thru drier air intrusions and maybe a cool night or a few as we get deeper into the month. Sure, early month has a history of being brutal and it has been recently. So... I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Aug feels decent in that sense, and there's certainly no reason to think we're going to torch at this point.

We haven't really truly torched since May.. In both June and July we've been pretty close to the transition zone between warm anomalies and cool anomalies. I think one issue may be selling it as a DCA anomaly.. probably just seeing real shifts in temp from south to north this mo especially. As far as I'm concerned it's been a pretty solid summer if not notably hot. We're racking up in consistency at least.  But either way, killing much of the first half of July without extreme heat is a big win around here. Still think there's some 2010-12 mindset floating though.. fairly normal DC summer tempwise thus far. 

It's hard to superheat the air mass here and over the source regions partly given the high moisture content plus tons of ET with soil and plant moisture. I think that's part of the reason we've seen verification end up lower than what we see from range. This has not set up as a huge heat year overall across the CONUS. 

July has been an absolute borefest on all fronts. I don't think you can have a more average summer month with nothing anomalous to talk about. This month is the quintessential normal July. It can be packaged for reference later on when discussing what a normal July is around here. 

Hopefully August delivers something noteworthy in any direction. 

July has been an absolute borefest on all fronts. I don't think you can have a more average summer month with nothing anomalous to talk about. This month is the quintessential normal July. It can be packaged for reference later on when discussing what a normal July is around here. 

Hopefully August delivers something noteworthy in any direction. 

Yeah it's been pretty lame lately. Guess about what you'd expect on the storm front at least as we tend to run into no shear by this time of year. The warm days have seemed especially humid but they haven't been terribly hot in general so it's not been anything too impossible to handle. 

We should start a poll on when the first El Nino nor'easter will happen. 

Yeah it's been pretty lame lately. Guess about what you'd expect on the storm front at least as we tend to run into no shear by this time of year. The warm days have seemed especially humid but they haven't been terribly hot in general so it's not been anything too impossible to handle. 

will that include tropical action?

isn't it more common to get hybrid stuff developing off the SE coast in NINOs come August, or maybe I'm dreaming?

Some sort of nasty mid- to late-October thing, most likely.  Mountains will see a few inches of slop and we'll get pounded by mid-40s rain and wind.  People will think it's the beginning of a banner winter, but we'll be mild and rainy.  My avatar will be happy.

Think happy thoughts!

Ops and ensembles converging on a potential legit nice air mass in a week or so. It may have some staying power but pretty muddy out that far.

Dews will make this weekend much more tolerable than the last few days. Evenings on the patios will be nice. Even though most of us will be close to or above 90 during the day, it's going to feel a whole lot different than breathing tropical soup like we have this week. 

Ops and ensembles converging on a potential legit nice air mass in a week or so. It may have some staying power but pretty muddy out that far.

Dews will make this weekend much more tolerable than the last few days. Evenings on the patios will be nice. Even though most of us will be close to or above 90 during the day, it's going to feel a whole lot different than breathing tropical soup like we have this week. 

This morning's GFS Op isn't all that cool.  Should break the 90 streak though.

Archived