SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
tracking the heat

Animal

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only read 71-73 degrees from boat inside Debs Inlet and back towards Reynolds Channel yesterday evening.

The few times I've been back there i remember the water in Debs and western section of Reynolds really moves. Water could be getting pretty churned up and mixed in there. In the back bays where the water moves slower and takes more time to filter out to the ocean I bet it's warmer. The buoy in the great shout bay was 82 this morning

The few times I've been back there i remember the water in Debs and western section of Reynolds really moves. Water could be getting pretty churned up and mixed in there. In the back bays where the water moves slower and takes more time to filter out to the ocean I bet it's warmer. The buoy in the great shout bay was 82 this morning

same exact thing we saw this winter with the ice. Anywhere the water had a fast current it mixed warmed and didn't freeze. Now it's mix and cool

96 and 98 for high so far yesterday and today

Your temps seem a little high. Your siting must be extremely urban, or your thermometer lacks a solar shield.

EWR only reached 96F, and they are usually the hottest site in the area given the development and urbanization there. I used to live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and my temps were lower than EWR, never higher.

Where are you located exactly, and what equipment is being used?

when I lived in Brooklyn (64st and 12Ave) my temperatures were warmer than Central Park because I was in a cement/tar jungle...If the winds were ssw to east I usually was cooler than Central Park in the Summer but milder in the winter...Prospect Park is probably on par with Central Park...There was a observation sight once...

Your temps seem a little high. Your siting must be extremely urban, or your thermometer lacks a solar shield.

EWR only reached 96F, and they are usually the hottest site in the area given the development and urbanization there. I used to live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, and my temps were lower than EWR, never higher.

JFK made it to 95 at 11AM. Maybe the seabreeze coming in from the SE allowed him to rise a couple more degrees before dropping?

when I lived in Brooklyn (64st and 12Ave) my temperatures were warmer than Central Park because I was in a cement/tar jungle...If the winds were ssw to east I usually was cooler than Central Park in the Summer but milder in the winter...Prospect Park is probably on par with Central Park...There was a observation sight once...

I was living on 75th between 5th and 6th in a fairly leafy, suburban part of Bay Ridge. I noticed with southerly and easterly flow, we were usually cooler than NYC in summer and warmer in winter. It was hard to get really hot days in Bay Ridge being right on water...however, you and dmillz are talking about more urbanized parts of Brooklyn farther from the water. So it could definitely run warmer than my area.

Bay ridge is closer to water than where im located. Im at the borderline of bed stuy and Williamsburg. My temps are usually around what the Park or EWR records. Could the 98 be too high? Yeah but maybe by 2 degrees. And I use the old school thermometer in the shade

Today was the kind of day where southern BK could be warmer than EWR, it started with a hot NW wind which usually makes near the coast the hottest places...like todays quick start at JFK. Places like Jamaica over to E NY, Carnarsie, etc get very hot on the downsloping winds. Its the few chances you get to be the hottest parts of NYC. I reached 96 same as yday. Its close to impossible to meet NWS standards for sitting in a random urban neighborhood. I think your supposed to be 4x the height away from any structure. Like 80 ft away from a 20 ft tree or 400 ft from a 100 ft bldg. No such space exist here where you could put a thermometer, thats not a public park

Agree. We had our hottest weather in September last summer.

Yep, August last year was pretty bad in terms of warmth. Could barely use the pool because the nights were so cool, and the daytime temps couldn't do much to warm it up. Definitely hotter than last year up until this point.

Archived