• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
weather maniacs 1992

uncle W

back in 1992 I was asked to be interviewed about my weather addiction...Newsday ran the story... Japanese news saw it and wanted to do a story about it...I was honored to be in it with Roger Brickner who knows more about past weather than me and was a professor...Roger started a weather museum in New Hamshire...

That's a really great segment, Joe. I like the rooftop set up and the vintage nimbus equipment.

A friend gave me a copy of the Long Island Express on the 1938 hurricane written by Roger Brickner.

Roger used to put out a weather review paper every month...He is a fountain of weather information...He gave me weather records I didn't have at the time...He wasn't a bad forecaster either...Before the 1993-94 season he was using 1922-23 as an analog...he expected a very cold and snowy winter and it was...

Roger used to put out a weather review paper every month...He is a fountain of weather information...He gave me weather records I didn't have at the time...He wasn't a bad forecaster either...Before the 1993-94 season he was using 1922-23 as an analog...he expected a very cold and snowy winter and it was...

That's pretty good since he must had hard copies of the analog data since it was before the internet took off in the mid 90's.

All I remember about long range forecasts in those days is that I was expecting a repeat of the 76-77 winter after the snowy

Thanksgiving and record cold December 1989. I couldn't believe the record flip to warm in January and February. This board

would have gone bonkers if was around in those days and there probably would have been a ton of time outs. ;)

Joe I see you were watching the weather channel with Vivian Brown..I guess everybody including me in 1992 was glued to the weather channel for the 5 day forecast..those were the days huh?..before computers..great segment!!

I don't get TWC anymore with FIOS...When I was in Florida I watched it for about five minutes before I turned the channel...TWC was great in the 1990's...

That's pretty good since he must had hard copies of the analog data since it was before the internet took off in the mid 90's.

All I remember about long range forecasts in those days is that I was expecting a repeat of the 76-77 winter after the snowy

Thanksgiving and record cold December 1989. I couldn't believe the record flip to warm in January and February. This board

would have gone bonkers if was around in those days and there probably would have been a ton of time outs. ;)

I didn't know what an analog was in the early 1990's...I was using them and I didn't know it...1989 was a kick in the throat...I remember Accuwx saying big changes were taking place in the upper air pattern at the end of December...

Have been saying how this summer has reminded me of 1992. IIRC most of May was very warm, then things went cool around Memorial Day and stayed that way the rest of the way through. We did have the remnants of Andrew come through and spawn some severe weather, and TS Danielle was not too far away (Mid Atlantic coast). Think there may be some surprises in store...

• 2 weeks later...

That Dec 1992 Noreaster is one of the most memorable weather events of my life. I never saw anything like it until Sandy.

Also blizzard of 96 was a big one, I don't remember much major snow events in my childhood and teens outside of that one.

Archived