• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter

mackerel_sky

I know about the downsloping, but I keep seeing places less the 5 miles in all directions get good rain repeatedly while I get nothing. Downsloping does not explain that at all. We could not get rain early last month either when downsloping was no problem. It most certainly will take a hurricane for my area to get over .25 in any 24 hour period.

You won't be getting any Hurricanes this year being an El Nino. Also, there are plenty of areas in Parts of NC and SC that have had less rain that you have had. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stratiform Rain, the only thing we are good at this summer.  Hoping I can eek out a tenth from this.

Oh, and it storming again N of Athens.  Is their a rain forest there or something?

Edit:  I understand the downsloping, but not the local effects.  Areas all directions around me have got hit with storms.  This same thing happens every summer since I've been following weather where mby gets turned into a local minimum for storms and rainfall.  Then after a couple months, it is just like someone flips a switch and we start having storms again.  Call me crazy but there is some very localized affects that can occur in certain areas east of the mountains that aren't understood or explained very easily.  The switch usually gets flipped sometime around the first half of July so hoping my misery ends soon.  It gets frustrating seeing a storm heading straight for you then either fall apart completely, or take some random motion at the last minute away from you.

Stratiform Rain, the only thing we are good at this summer.  Hoping I can eek out a tenth from this.

Oh, and it storming again N of Athens.  Is their a rain forest there or something?

Edit:  I understand the downsloping, but not the local effects.  Areas all directions around me have got hit with storms.  This same thing happens every summer since I've been following weather where mby gets turned into a local minimum for storms and rainfall.  Then after a couple months, it is just like someone flips a switch and we start having storms again.  Call me crazy but there is some very localized affects that can occur in certain areas east of the mountains that aren't understood or explained very easily.  The switch usually gets flipped sometime around the first half of July so hoping my misery ends soon.  It gets frustrating seeing a storm heading straight for you then either fall apart completely, or take some random motion at the last minute away from you.

We are having the same problems in Richland county north of I-20. The city of Columbia gets nailed time and time again, while areas north of there get the screw job. Been doing this for the last 2 months. I don't know why this is happening, but we need a pattern change really badly.

It's going to take a tropical system coming up from FL or GA, to get us out of this devastating drought! Probly gonna be Oct or Nov before we get .26 of rain! :(

Devastating might be overstating things a bit.  Moderate drought is the highest level in SC currently and is occurring over 27% of the state.

Devastating might be overstating things a bit.  Moderate drought is the highest level in SC currently and is occurring over 27% of the state.

I think he was being sarcastic :)  I'm just slightly below normal for the year, but am very dry at the surface after the heat wave.  Lakes and rivers are still fine unless we can't break out of this by the end of summer.

I guess the mountains are actually helping us with the lakes and rivers for now, but if they stop getting rain things will get ugly fast. Devastating doesn't apply yet, but if it doesn't rain soon it will apply to any crops being grown around here. The models keep the west to NW flow so there is not much hope anytime soon.

I guess the mountains are actually helping us with the lakes and rivers for now, but if they stop getting rain things will get ugly fast. Devastating doesn't apply yet, but if it doesn't rain soon it will apply to any crops being grown around here. The models keep the west to NW flow so there is not much hope anytime soon.

Good thing there should be general troughing in the east for the foreseeable future.

Good thing there should be general troughing in the east for the foreseeable future.

It needs to be about 200 miles to the west of where it is though. If it stays in place where it is now, it does the  areas just east and SE of the mountains no good because of the west and northwest flow. I think I'm actually ready to get back to 95-100 degree temps because they are less frustrating than this pattern we are in now.

It needs to be about 200 miles to the west of where it is though. If it stays in place where it is now, it does the areas just east and SE of the mountains no good because of the west and northwest flow. I think I'm actually ready to get back to 95-100 degree temps because they are less frustrating than this pattern we are in now.

It will oscillate. Don't sweat it.

Arthur was a year ago, y'all. It was the earliest hurricane to make landfall in the Carolinas on record. I had a lot of fun tracking that one, and went to Morehead City to experience the eyewall -- quite an unforgettable experience for this still newbie chaser. 

Archived