• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Signs of Summer - 2015 version

JTA66

In my experience here, generally speaking, June is lightning bugs, July is cicadas (locusts), and August is katydids. Have seen lightning bugs since around Memorial day, only a few at first, except for the lone scout that showed up in early May. The turnout this year has not been as large as last year so far, but they're putting on a good show. Haven't heard any cicadas yet.

What is up with the steady rise in the deer tick population the last ten years. I am going to assume larger numbers of deer.

An avid outdoors person I am starting to develop an aversion for the woods because of numerable welts from those blood suckers.

I am starting to develop an aversion for the woods because of numerable welts from those blood suckers.

I know the feeling.  I pulled one off me last summer that was hiding in plain sight, feasting on my ankle.  No symptoms, but it made me paranoid and cautious.  Not sure if it's the deer population, or what.   There are too many deer in any case.  Ticks have no redeeming social or ecological value, as far as I can tell.

No sign of stink bugs yet. Don't know if they come out later in the season or if these past two winters wiped out those stinkers.

Still months away from the Stink Bug invasion.   You wont see them en masse until mid-late Sept on warm sunny days trying to invade every crack and crevice so they can overwinter.  Man I hated those things.

I moved to VT last fall from ChesCo and actually found some stink bug stowaways in some suitcases/boxes.  Hope I didn't introduce them to this area :o

Still months away from the Stink Bug invasion.   You wont see them en masse until mid-late Sept on warm sunny days trying to invade every crack and crevice so they can overwinter.  Man I hated those things.

I moved to VT last fall from ChesCo and actually found some stink bug stowaways in some suitcases/boxes.  Hope I didn't introduce them to this area :o

Don't worry there is no way to stop their spread. In a thousand years stink bugs will be our overlords.

Nice photo. I saw a doe with two young uns like that one, yesterday.

Tonight, the first katydid of the summer here was yakking in a nearby tree. Funny to hear it on a cool evening. Summer's moving along.

Just noticed them here last night, too.

Archived