Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess this is a bad time to mention that it's clear down here and looks pretty cool so far? Don't worry, it's more common than you would think http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jupiter-venus-to-converge-in-star-of-bethlehem-moment/

Yeah, I've been photographing Venus–Jupiter conjunctions for a few years now. I did actually get a quick break in the clouds, just long enough to trip a couple one-off exposures. Maybe I'll get another chance this week to do a more worthwhile attempt.

JvGNQikh.jpg

Yeah, I've been photographing Venus–Jupiter conjunctions for a few years now. I did actually get a quick break in the clouds, just long enough to trip a couple one-off exposures. Maybe I'll get another chance this week to do a more worthwhile attempt.

JvGNQikh.jpg

Very cool stuff! Can you point me in the direction of a decent, easy-to-read sky watch site? Used to be into amateur astronomy a bit and would love to pick it back up!

JvGNQikh.jpg

Cool shot. I've always kinda wanted to get more into astrophotography but I stop myself becaue I know it will end up being another money pit of equipment. My 8inch Dobsonian keeps me entertained enough year round.

The 4 hot summers in a row between 2010 and 2013 spoiled a a lot of people who

were big summer fans. A string of La Ninaish cold PDO summers will do it when the

heat source regions of the Southern Plains were in deep drought.

I disagree with this. Summers generally have many stretches of nice days and warmth. Havi g clouds and constant shower threats with very little runs of 3 days or more of brach days isnt nornal

Very cool stuff! Can you point me in the direction of a decent, easy-to-read sky watch site? Used to be into amateur astronomy a bit and would love to pick it back up!

Hmm... there are tons of sky map and event notification sites out there. I generally just watch the sky and use a free program called Stellarium to confirm/anticipate interesting celestial goings-on.

I disagree with this. Summers generally have many stretches of nice days and warmth. Havi g clouds and constant shower threats with very little runs of 3 days or more of brach days isnt nornal

Well..4 summers in a row of major heat from 2010-2013 was a new record for our area. Most streaks of warmth 

have been of shorter duration.

Newark 30 year 95 degree data with 100 degree days included

8 days a year is the current 30 year average

95+/100+

2014...2/0

2013...10/2

2012...17/3

2011...16/4

2010...21/4

2009...1/0

2008...7/0

2007...3/0

2006...7/3

2005...14/3

2004....1/0

2003....2/0

2002...15/2

2001...8/3

2000...1/0

1999...15/5

1998...1/0

1997...7/2

1996...2/0

1995...10/1

1994...12/2

1993...24/9

1992...3/0

1991...12/2

1990....2/0

1989....7/0

1988...20/5

1987...13/0

1986...4/1

1985...2/0

I have actually been welcoming the rains since the record dry and warm May did a number on the evergreens around here.

Long Beach is in the process of replanting all the trees that were ruined by the salt water tidal flooding in Sandy. But there have

been some reports of the new trees not faring too well.

attachicon.gifTree.jpg

ouch.   Same here, minimal yard/plant watering and AC has generally been off-some benefits to this wet cool spell.

a nina following a nino can produce really big heat... look at 88, 99, and 2010

Yeah, an El Nino transitioning to La Nina or continuing La Nina is the secret heat sauce for us.

1952...continuing El Nino

1955...continuing La Nina

1966.. El Nino to borderline weak La Nina.....#2

1973.. El Nino to La Nina

1980..El Nino to cold neutral..........................#6

1983...El Nino to borderline weak  La Nina....#4

1988...El Nino to La Nina................................#6

1995...El Nino to La Nina................................#7

1999...continuing La Nina...............................#5

2005. El Nino to boderline weak La Nina.........#3

2010..El Nino to La Nina.................................#1 hottest summer for NYC

Guest Pamela

From 2010 through 2014, each summer was successively cooler than the one that preceded it in this area.  The pattern appears to be continuing in 2015 with the cold June already in the books.

Guest Pamela

I give the past few weeks a FAIL. The north shore of Suffolk County, Long Island has been one day of sun for every 3 days of BS rain and clouds.  I cant stand it. And it was 59f the other night. This is just how i feel and i think it sucks.

You lead a hard life...

From 2010 through 2014, each summer was successively cooler than the one that preceded it in this area.  The pattern appears to be continuing in 2015 with the cold June already in the books.

2009 had a cool and rainy June as well. 

"But the set up looks just like '96."

Wish that I was connected to the net for the 95-96 winter. My P-150/56K dial up rig didn't become operational until the 96-97

stinker winter. The 12/30/00 event was the first decent snowstorm that I got to track online. 

Archived