joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are still bullish on this winter with one of the strongest el nino's in years...If it was a strong La nina I would expect a dud winter...The strongest eight la nina winters with an oni -1.3 or below for DJF yielded an average of 14.5" of snow for the winter and no storms over 6.4" and 23.5" for the season...

The CFS loves to push the trough too far east over the NE PAC like we are seeing this month and last winter.

attachicon.gifcfs_anom_z500_noram_201510_4.png

The mid-month forecasts aren't very good. Its skill gets better from there on.

What an awful forecast from 2 weeks away .

That's for the whole month of October... so that's a 2-6 week forecast. CFS eventually caught on to the right idea.

230CWil.gif

The mid-month forecasts aren't very good. Its skill gets better from there on.

That's for the whole month of October... so that's a 2-6 week forecast. CFS eventually caught on to the right idea.

230CWil.gif

You want to credit a seasonal climate model for "catching on " from 5 days out on a monthly ?

There are guys basing their ideas of what this model is seeing 3 to 5 months from now .

The fact that it needs to press it's nose up against the glass to see a pattern gives me pause when having to buy what it sees from a distance.

If it can't see 3 weeks it can't see 3 months.

I'll wait until the 1st week of November to make a final judgement, but up until this point, given the strengthening super El Niño, the Nino region SST progression, the Nino model forecast plumes and the strongly coupled atmospheric response which is projected by Dr.Ventrice's AEI to get even stronger by the end of this month into November, I see no reason whatsoever not to expect a classic strong canonical El Nino weather pattern this winter and into early spring

I'll wait until the 1st week of November to make a final judgement, but up until this point, given the strengthening super El Niño, the Nino region SST progression, the Nino model forecast plumes and the strongly coupled atmospheric response which is projected by Dr.Ventrice's AEI to get even stronger by the end of this month into November, I see no reason whatsoever not to expect a classic strong canonical El Nino weather pattern this winter and into early spring

77/78 is in there. Where can I sign .

Serious question , what are you looking for in November

You want to credit a seasonal climate model for "catching on " from 5 days out on a monthly ?

There are guys basing their ideas of what this model is seeing 3 to 5 months from now .

The fact that it needs to press it's nose up against the glass to see a pattern gives me pause when having to buy what it sees from a distance.

If it can't see 3 weeks it can't see 3 months.

It's looking at the temps for the entire month of October. In today's world, any forecast beyond 5 days is generally inaccurate. If a model is able to correctly pick up on the general pattern for the next month, I'll give it credit. But CFS is the only model that does seasonal, monthly, and weekly outlooks that I'm aware of.

I've said it many times... the seasonal forecasts are usually bad... but these monthly forecasts (like I posted) are reasonably good in the second half of the month.

The skill is at 500 and it can't pick it up outside 2 weeks

It's seems fast in the EP with its trough placement so it shunts the ridge over the CONUS in the LR.

It has been beaten at 500 by the euro the last 2 years and the jamstec at 2m .

I have observed the CFS from month to month and it is correct that it 'usually' has a fair grasp on coming 30 days at the end of a prior month. From my observation over the years, I tend to rank the seasonal models as follows, in order of decreasing accuracy: ECMWF, JAMSTEC, JMA, CFS.

I have observed the CFS from month to month and it is correct that it 'usually' has a fair grasp on coming 30 days at the end of a prior month. From my observation over the years, I tend to rank the seasonal models as follows, in order of decreasing accuracy: ECMWF, JAMSTEC, JMA, CFS.

I only have access to CFS and JAMSTEC... so I can't say anything about the others. JAMSTEC doesn't do monthly forecasts though (which would be awesome)

Fairly steady state over the last week as we reach the trailing portion of the recent kelvin wave.

All regions were warmer on this week in 1997 except Nino 4.

30SEP2015  2.8  2.8  2.4  1.1
07OCT2015  2.7 2.8  2.4  1.0

08OCT1997  3.8 3.2  2.6  0.6

Fairly steady state over the last week as we reach the trailing portion of the recent kelvin wave.

All regions were warmer on this week in 1997 except Nino 4.

30SEP2015 2.8 2.8 2.4 1.1

07OCT2015 2.7 2.8 2.4 1.0

08OCT1997 3.8 3.2 2.6 0.6

Waaaaaaaat?

1.2 lower ? All that screaming about wind reversals , Kelvin waves and explosive warmth recently .

Hmm , what a bummer.

Waaaaaaaat?

1.2 lower ? All that screaming about wind reversals , Kelvin waves and explosive warmth recently .

Hmm , what a bummer.

The IRI dynamical model mean is doing a good job so far. The weekly Nino 3.4 reading of +2.4C is right where it was forecast to be in October.

.............................................SON

Average, dynamical models .....2.4 2.5 2.5 2.3 2 1.8 1.5 1 0.

The IRI dynamical model mean is doing a good job so far. The weekly Nino 3.4 reading of +2.4C is right where it was forecast to be in October.

.............................................SON

Average, dynamical models .....2.4 2.5 2.5 2.3 2 1.8 1.5 1 0.

In terms of official ONI trimonthly numbers, my thinking continues to be that the 82-83/97-98 events are slightly stronger, and the 57-58/65-66 events are slightly weaker. My target range has been approximately 1.8-1.95C for the trimonthly peak, and I still like that for now. We'll probably end up closest to 65-66 or 72-73 in terms of the official ONI peak. We need to be stronger in the eastern regions in order to have a chance at attaining the record breaking Nino's (82/97).

In terms of official ONI trimonthly numbers, my thinking continues to be that the 82-83/97-98 events are slightly stronger, and the 57-58/65-66 events are slightly weaker. My target range has been approximately 1.8-1.95C for the trimonthly peak, and I still like that for now. We'll probably end up closest to 65-66 or 72-73 in terms of the official ONI peak. We need to be stronger in the eastern regions in order to have a chance at attaining the record breaking Nino's (82/97).

I went 1.8C in July, but have been nervous that I may end up a bit low...

Archived