• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Observation Thread

Solak

Looks like whatever action is left is going to pass just to the South of here. We had a little thunder from the downtown baby Clayton storm, but that was it.

Edited: We had our first official 90° day at KJNX today.

PGV hit 90 for 20 mins today so May 18th will go I nthe books as the first 90 degree day of the year and it is 13 days past the mean date for the first 90 degree day.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they (RAH) said most of today's showers/storms would be East of Hwy 1.... they just didn't say what they really meant was along and East of Hwy 17... which technically is East of Hwy 1 :D Unless something happens with the actual frontal passage, it looks like we're going to get shut out today around here (KJNX).

If you really had golf ball hail, there would be big pieces left when it stopped! Chicken sh!t

No we really did. Im not lying. Check out the radar image. You could hear that **** banging on the roof.

Edit: Quarter sized hail I meant. My bad bro. Jealous or nah?

The warning said quarter sized hail as well. Everyone was talking about it here. Only thing on SPC is falling tree on a vehicle. That was crazy though. No one here has really seen hail.

Someone said it couldn't be hail because temps weren't below 28. :lmao:

Well, they (RAH) said most of today's showers/storms would be East of Hwy 1.... they just didn't say what they really meant was along and East of Hwy 17... which technically is East of Hwy 1 :D Unless something happens with the actual frontal passage, it looks like we're going to get shut out today around here (KJNX).

I work on the north side of town about a mile from PGV airport....I heard thunder off and on all day and it hasn't rained a drop here at the plant.....my house which is 4-5 miles east of Greenville on Hwy 33 going to Chocowinity has had 4-5 thunderstorms my wife says.....its maybe 7-8 miles as the crow flies from here lol.  I will see how much the gauge has in it when I get home but radar says 1-2" there.

No we really did. Im not lying. Check out the radar image. You could hear that **** banging on the roof.

Edit: Quarter sized hail I meant. My bad bro. Jealous or nah?

The warning said quarter sized hail as well. Everyone was talking about it here. Only thing on SPC is falling tree on a vehicle. That was crazy though. No one here has really seen hail.

Someone said it couldn't be hail because temps weren't below 28. :lmao:

Wow! The education level in Waycross is amazing! I'm a little jealous! I've seen golfball size once since I've lived here. Still got dents in my truck! Quarter size is awesome! Must be your going away storm! Y'all will probly get hit by the one landfalling hurricane that hits this year, while in TX! 75 and sunny

It's still winter in some places:

Currently 23 degrees and freezing fog on Mt Washington. Winds are at 69 with gust to 77. 

Tonight
Mostly clear during the early evening, then becoming mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Strong and damaging winds, with a northwest wind 55 to 65 mph decreasing to 35 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 90 mph.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph decreasing to 20 to 25 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Windy, with a west wind 20 to 30 mph.
Friday
A chance of snow showers between 11am and 5pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Windy, with a west wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Strong and damaging winds, with a northwest wind 60 to 65 mph, with gusts as high as 90 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 38. Strong and damaging winds.

Mack and Shetley can't complain anymore about lack of rain.  The new desert capital of the SE is the immediate lee of the Apps in the western North Carolina piedmont, as the following image demonstrates.  (There's no point looking any further east on this map as it's all yellows and reds; i.e., plenty of rainfall.)

Oh, and NC_hailstorm, you beat me by 0.01 inch.  I'm stuck at 0.03 inch for the month of May right now.  So, you've received 33% more rainfall than have I this month.  Wow!  That's just horrible.  For the both of us.  :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

ozgMZ4B.png

Today was supposed to be more coolerest than yesterday. We still peaked out at 90° ; 4 above expected high. That's pretty unusual in this particular location this time of year. At least the humidity was down quite a bit. Didn't come in drenched after mowing. Looks like a very comfortable weekend coming up. Enjoy it, and be careful if you're traveling.

Archived