• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Favorite Weather Moment

dmillz25

Don't know exactly what got me into it but I do know that it started at a very young age...I started keeping records with my own weather equipment in 1973 when I was 13 years old, which means I got into it even earlier, maybe around 10 or so...remember going up on the roof with my father to install my first anemometer at maybe 15 years old or so...and now several thousand dollars worth of weather equipment later, my fascination continues unabated,

Waking up the morning after the blizzard of 96' and seeing over 30" of snow on the ground. Still to this day that Storm is the granddaddy off all snowstorms out here. Widespread 24"+ totals across the entire mid atlantic and northeast.

Second would be the rainy nor'easter of March 2010. Over 4" of rain and the second strongest winds here I've ever experienced. Just an epic Storm and where my love for rainstorms was born.

Third place goes to Irene. Epic rain. Over 10".

Don't know exactly what got me into it but I do know that it started at a very young age...I started keeping records with my own weather equipment in 1973 when I was 13 years old, which means I got into it even earlier, maybe around 10 or so...remember going up on the roof with my father to install my first anemometer at maybe 15 years old or so...and now several thousand dollars worth of weather equipment later, my fascination continues unabated,

I can't pinpoint an exact event either but it started at a very young age, and it grew once I was in elementary school when snow meant days off! As you know tracking weather back then was totally different than today.  The best was when the snow forecast on the radio was slowing creepy up with every new broadcast.   

I've never had the pleasure of sighting a tornado or intercepting a halfway-formidable TC, and beyond that, all snowstorms start to look the same. ;) My "favorite" wx moment is the one that I still have to look forward to. As for what inspired my interest in the atmosphere, who knows—I was watching the TWC at 4 y/o, so it might simply be the case that I'm a lifelong dork.

I have many moments to remember and the morning of March 3rd 1960 is right up there with the best...I woke up to light snow and took a walk around my block...I listened to the forecast on television and it said snow turning to rain with moderating temperatures...the temperature was 26 and the snow was starting to drift by the curb...I thought it was to cold to change to rain...A secondary low was forming off the coast and it wasn't forecast...I walked to school and at lunch time there was an all out blizzard raging...That moment thinking how in the world can this change to rain stands out in my mind...At the time I was wishing it wouldn't and had no clue what was happening...

My favorite weather moments include hurricanes Dennis, Irene, and Sandy; the March 2010 Nor'easter; the summers of 2010-2013; the entire year of 2012; August 2014's state record breaking downpour, low temps in the mid-80's, Boxing Day/Nemo; numerous thunderstorms; being under numerous tornado watches/warnings, even though I've yet to see/experience a single one.

I have to give heat the most credit for sparking my interest in weather. I believe the year was 2005, we were experiencing a heat wave, I was told to put on TWC to see how hot it was supposed to be, and they mentioned a "heat index" in the neighborhood of 110-115F. That was my first time hearing the term, and I wanted to know more about it. Eventually I wanted to know more about everything regarding weather/climate, and here I am almost a decade later.

I experienced my first hurricane (Dennis) roughly two weeks prior to that heat wave, and that likely sparked some interest, the entire 2005 hurricane season made me even more interested in weather, I was glued to TWC during Katrina's landfall. And I've always loved those old tornado movies they played on TV.

1. Blizzard of '96. I must have been 6 or 7. To this day I remember waking up looking out the front of my house and not being able to comprehend how much snow was outside. That winter opened up my eyes to how incredible weather can be.

2. Boxing Day Blizzard. Easily the best snowstorm I've ever experienced. Snow is great, but when it's accompanied by strong winds of 40-60 MPH it's just incredible. I got stuck at my sisters house for a week down in Leonardo, NJ. It took them 5 days to finally plow her street. It's also how I discovered this forum.

3. Hurricane Sandy. Tropical systems in our area tend to be rain events. Sandy, for me at least, was an incredible wind event. The tree damage will probably never be equaled for my home town.

Blizzard of 83

June 1 1985 lightning show

Gloria

Ice storm '88

Bob

Perfect storm

Dec 1992 nor'easter

Superstorm 93

Ice storm 94

2 feb 94 storms

95-96 winter

Late June 98 severe storm

July 5 1999 heat

Jan 2004 snowy month

5 week strech February to March 2005

July 2008 5" rain in 1 hour IMBY

Dec 2009 blizzard

2010 flip of a switch to spring

2010 hot summer

Dec Boxing Day to end of jan 2011 mega snows

July 2011 heat

Sandy

Nemo

July 2013 7 day record 90 stretch

March 31 2014 surprise snowstorm

Mild Xmas eve 2014

Frigid 2015 and persistent snows til end of March

And.....

Not sure how anyone in our sub forum couldn't have sandy as #1. It was on its own level.

I was always wanted to experience the hurricane of 38. Out east that was a way worse storm then sandy. For the western half of the island it probably wasn't as bad as sandy and in the city and jersey it definitly wasn't as bad as sandy

Not sure how anyone in our sub forum couldn't have sandy as #1. It was on its own level.

I was always wanted to experience the hurricane of 38. Out east that was a way worse storm then sandy. For the western half of the island it probably wasn't as bad as sandy and in the city and jersey it definitly wasn't as bad as sandy

For me, Sandy wasn't so scary. I was in Queens and the storm, as it hit, wasn't so bad where I was staying. The after-effects were crazy, though, and I remember watching the scene on the news as storm water poured into the subway stations.

Sandy is my 2nd favorite weather memory. That was a pretty amazing time. Third would have to be the tornado/macroburst that hit Brooklyn and queens in 2010

within two minutes or so, torrential rain...vivid lightning...and, to this day, the largest hailstones I have ever personally borne witness to....the ground was completely covered & whitened.  From that day on (4/29/1695)....I was hooked. 

I enjoy a good thunder and hail storm as much as any other weather enthusiast.  You did however omit the Great New England Blizzard of December 1693 as one of your greatest weather moments and this makes me question whether you really lived in the Boston area during this period.

Archived