• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

mackerel_sky

20 days without rain sounds harsh. everything in your area must be caked with pollen.

It's been 8 in a row without a drop of rain, and none in sight for 5 more or so. Yes, it's very pollen caked around here and dusty. The low-mid 80s and humidity in the 30% range, has made it very dusty and dry, very quickly!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The disturbance is about to be a skeleton. Dry air wrapping around now.   :axe: Better get named soon. 

Now Subtropical Storm Ana.  Congrats to Mack on the call.  Looks like the NWS disagrees with you mp.  TWC says NWS will upgrade with 11pm discussion.

Now Subtropical Storm Ana.  Congrats to Mack on the call.  Looks like the NWS disagrees with you mp.  TWC says NWS will upgrade with 11pm discussion.

it deff will be subtropical, but not tropical. still cool to see it "try" to become tropical. 

It might attain more subtropical characteristics. dry air only hurts warm core systems, not cold core. 

This is near warm core already if not already there at least I heard so in other "places" but the dry air is clearly affecting it and it seems to be trying its best but just like the storms last year it just can not muster up enough to cough the dry air out.

This is near warm core already if not already there at least I heard so in other "places" but the dry air is clearly affecting it and it seems to be trying its best but just like the storms last year it just can not muster up enough to cough the dry air out.

this is going though transition. it lost it's chance to be fully tropical. the NE quadrant is dry. 

1.phase1.zoom.png

1100 PM EDT THU MAY 07 2015

Satellite imagery shows some increase in deep convection this
evening, and the low pressure system off the southeast U.S. coast
is now being designated as a subtropical storm.  Based on adjusted
SFMR winds from a hurricane hunter aircraft that has been
investigating the system, the current intensity is set at 40
kt.  Data from the aircraft also show that the radius of maximum
winds has decreased somewhat from earlier today, but at 80 n mi it
is still too large to justify classifying Ana as a tropical cyclone
at this time.  Since there has been more deep convection occurring
near the center over the past several hours, it is becoming more
likely that Ana will make the transition into a tropical storm
within the next day or so.  The storm should remain situated near or
over the Gulf Stream for the next 24-36 hours, which would allow for
some slight strengthening.  Later in the period, as the cyclone
approaches the coast, weakening is expected due to the influence of
cooler shelf waters.

The system has not moved much over the past 24 hours and the
initial motion estimate is 350/2.  Ana is likely to remain located
to the south of a stubborn mid-tropospheric blocking pattern for the
next 48 hours or so.  Global models show the block breaking down
over the weekend, which should allow Ana to move inland over the
southeastern U.S. Near the end of the forecast period, the system
should accelerate northeastward in the flow ahead of a broad trough.
The official track forecast is close to the dynamical model
consensus.

We appreciate the assistance of the Air Force Hurricane Hunters for
providing valuable observations, given their limited resources
prior to the start of the regular Atlantic Hurricane Season.

Note that the name Ana is pronounced AH-nah.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  08/0300Z 31.5N  77.6W   40 KT  45 MPH
 12H  08/1200Z 31.6N  77.7W   45 KT  50 MPH
 24H  09/0000Z 31.7N  77.8W   45 KT  50 MPH
 36H  09/1200Z 31.9N  78.0W   40 KT  45 MPH
 48H  10/0000Z 32.3N  78.6W   35 KT  40 MPH
 72H  11/0000Z 33.4N  79.3W   30 KT  35 MPH...INLAND
 96H  12/0000Z 36.1N  77.8W   25 KT  30 MPH...POST-TROP/INLAND
120H  13/0000Z 41.0N  71.5W   25 KT  30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW

The local forecast for this storm has been awful. It was supposed to be rainy here all weekend according to WRAL yesterday, and now they are saying not until Monday, and this is after they were saying this past Monday that it wouldn't have an impact on us at all. I think they should have went with that since it looks like it is just going to spin around and then die off.

The local forecast for this storm has been awful. It was supposed to be rainy here all weekend according to WRAL yesterday, and now they are saying not until Monday, and this is after they were saying this past Monday that it wouldn't have an impact on us at all. I think they should have went with that since it looks like it is just going to spin around and then die off.

There is no evidence this is going to happen, all the models hold it together and bring it inshore, add to that that it was never suppose to be much more than it is right now and inland areas would get mostly light to moderate rain with the outside potential that it would be more rain.  From the beginning EVERY met office trying to forecast this thing has said the forecast was low confidence due to the erratic steering flow etc.....so its hard to say the forecast has been awful when the flat out tell you they are not sure about the timing or track.

Ana does appear to be trying to tighten up a bit this morning, really decent blow up in the S/SE side if fact one of the better ones I have seen the last day or so but its still away from the actual "COC" . The plane also found a pressure of 1001 MB that's down from 1005 MB....the buoys to the NW also have pressure rises and drops in wind speed so that plus the stronger storms on the opposite side and the drop of a few MB's suggest to me at least that ANA is actually getting a bit better organized or at least trying to consolidate a better COC.

For Ana to become truly tropical, the storm would have to walk a tightrope of warm water long enough to overcome the dry air. NHC notes that the lower and mid-level circulation should become better stacked, which would help as well. But it's a tall order for Ana to make that conversion before either running out of time or warm water.

For Ana to become truly tropical, the storm would have to walk a tightrope of warm water long enough to overcome the dry air. NHC notes that the lower and mid-level circulation should become better stacked, which would help as well. But it's a tall order for Ana to make that conversion before either running out of time or warm water.

I wouldn't say its a tall order in fact if the trend of this morning continues I bet its get s changed to TS Ana by 11 pm tonight.....the center is much more evident on vis loop now and the overall structure looks much better its just that the storms are just off the the SE of the center---really the best it has looked...if the swirl can get dragged under the thunderstorms then it will most likely be called TS Ana vs STS Ana.

I have to disagree with the NHC somewhat. The core is still warm, and moving over warm water will only increase convection and latent heating. 

201501L0508_0709_xsect.gif

System looking much better, dry air is gone. 

WMBas74.png

For someone who has been saying it is dying it sure looks good today so far let us see if it can keep it up.

Whoopeee! A 45 mph sub tropical storm, that's gonna give MB and Florence a breeze and some sprinkles! Let's see if an early storm formation equates to hurricane season, like an early Nov snow , equates to snows the rest of the winter!? I bet we won't see another tropical system until July or August, in the Atlantic, the niño should be raging by then!

Whoopeee! A 45 mph sub tropical storm, that's gonna give MB and Florence a breeze and some sprinkles! Let's see if an early storm formation equates to hurricane season, like an early Nov snow , equates to snows the rest of the winter!? I bet we won't see another tropical system until July or August, in the Atlantic, the niño should be raging by then!

lets see if we can get to 50 :D

Any chance it works it out

Probably not all of it anyways, it might get it mostly worked out a few times but dry air will always be a issue I suspect. there may be a window for 12 hrs or so tonight into Sat where it could get its act together enough to be and look like a true TS...but it most likely will always have a "dry" side....

Vis loop has a "center" moving or appearing to move SW away from the main convection.....if that can get hooked up with the storms or at least tucked in closer then there is a much better chance at TS Ana and top winds getting up there a bit higher but the fact that it appears to move away form that area isn't exactly encouraging if you want this to get more organized....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/01L/flash-vis-long.html

Probably not all of it anyways, it might get it mostly worked out a few times but dry air will always be a issue I suspect. there may be a window for 12 hrs or so tonight into Sat where it could get its act together enough to be and look like a true TS...but it most likely will always have a "dry" side....

Vis loop has a "center" moving or appearing to move SW away from the main convection.....if that can get hooked up with the storms or at least tucked in closer then there is a much better chance at TS Ana and top winds getting up there a bit higher but the fact that it appears to move away form that area isn't exactly encouraging if you want this to get more organized....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/01L/flash-vis-long.html

I noticed the same now looking back at it. It is trying its best but sometimes that is not enough.

Archived