joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow has started to accumulate on trees and grass, but not pavement. I thought my area would be seeing rain right now.

The cad high doesn't erode until tonight on most models so not surprised in hindsight. GFS and Rgem show over 5 liquid in northern CO, you gotta get up to some place with elevation.

We had perhaps an inch on the grass before the precip lightened and the sun angle increased. Pretty much all snow though, right around 32-33 F all morning. Rush hour traffic was horrible. Roads were slushy and in fact pretty slippery around 8:30, better now. APA had 0.29" melted from 6 AM-noon. The plants will be happy.

The Windsor tornado in 2008 formed with a large upper low much like this, (farther west, in Utah) with SSE winds at 500mb. This could be a reason to watch some of these areas closely, as the 00z NAM shows some excellent 2000 J/kg CAPE values around Wray, CO.

Drove up by Fort Morgan to watch the storms roll through. Decent rotation with the storm, but could never produce. Had a few wall clouds though.

post-384-0-21460300-1429319568_thumb.jpg

On the way back to Northglenn, looked to the southeast and got a good picture of a developing storm with orientation completely opposite of typical, courtesy of the upper air pattern.

post-384-0-98195700-1429319559_thumb.jpg

And a Weather Channel producer asked to use some of my pictures on the air, but without access to TV, don't know if they made it on or not.

Nice. Those looked like little storms on radar. Oh well, if you can see a wall cloud without being hit by hail, that's a win.  We had 2.2" to 2.4" storm total since Wednesday's sprinkles/graupel. That's a lot for us. I don't think we have seen a 2-day period this wet since the floods of 2013. Oh boy, was it ever fun to get raindrops blown in my face. It's like I never left Ohio.

I kept driving through the storm and got into the extreme hail core. It wasn't terribly large hail, almost all of it was 1/2" or smaller, but the quantities were insane. It had accumulated several inches deep on I-76 and I saw a few accidents caused by people spinning out in it.

post-384-0-57933400-1429325995_thumb.jpg

Archived