• Last Reply

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
1007 PM CDT THU APR 2 2015

OKC035-041-115-030345-
/O.CON.KTSA.TO.W.0017.000000T0000Z-150403T0345Z/
CRAIG OK-DELAWARE OK-OTTAWA OK-
1007 PM CDT THU APR 2 2015

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN OTTAWA...
NORTHWESTERN DELAWARE AND EAST CENTRAL CRAIG COUNTIES UNTIL 1045 PM
CDT...

AT 1004 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH STRONG LOW LEVEL ROTATION
THAT COULD PRODUCE AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR
AFTON...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS WILL
         BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL
         BE DESTROYED. CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO HOMES...BUSINESSES AND
         VEHICLES IS LIKELY AND COMPLETE DESTRUCTION POSSIBLE.

LOCATIONS IN OR NEAR THE PATH INCLUDE...AFTON...BERNICE...FAIRLAND...
  BERNICE STATE PARK...WYANDOTTE...HONEY CREEK STATE PARK AND GROVE

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 44 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 286 AND 302.

Well, that was no fun.

Joplin changed their siren policy again which freaked a lot of people out. They now blow the sirens for 3 min, take a 3 min pause, and then blow them again for 3 mins and they continue doing that until the threat has passed. 

JoMo, why would they do that? The 3 minute pause could cause people to think the threat has passed.

The last time they sounded the sirens in succession like that was during May 22nd. So when they did it this time, people thought there were 3 tornadoes on the ground tonight......

Apparently it is an attempt to standardize siren policy across the area.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/3-cities-change-tornado-siren-sounds-urge-other-cities-counties-to-do-same/21048998_31480086

That MCS is something else, there were 30s dewpoints in the vicinity when it developed and now it has made it all the way across KS with 70+ mph winds in the Wichita area. It now has an embedded supercell on the southern end with a tornado warning as it has made it into near-sfc based parcels in SE KS where the earlier storms moved through. Amazing.

Edit: Now a confirmed tornado. Joplin might be getting a rude awakening here after being in the firing line several times earlier on.

That MCS is something else, there were 30s dewpoints in the vicinity when it developed and now it has made it all the way across KS with 70+ mph winds in the Wichita area. It now has an embedded supercell on the southern end with a tornado warning as it has made it into near-sfc based parcels in SE KS where the earlier storms moved through. Amazing.

Edit: Now a confirmed tornado. Joplin might be getting a rude awakening here after being in the firing line several times earlier on.

Very impressive. Hopefully SGF switches out of VCP212 to reduce the range folding over the embedded tor warned supercell.

Yeah I watched this develop. It passed just to my south. Hail core went right over me though, that was really loud. The Tulsa NWS had several spotter confirmed tornadoes on it. I'm hoping we're done for the night so I can get some sleep!

Yeah I watched this develop. It passed just to my south. Hail core went right over me though, that was really loud. The Tulsa NWS had several spotter confirmed tornadoes on it. I'm hoping we're done for the night so I can get some sleep!

Yeah you should be done for the night after this, there's not much upstream currently and I would think anything that forms behind the MCS should be sub-severe/elevated.

For the second time in ten days we had severe hail here in Monett. This time we had golfball sized hail about 3 a.m. Friday morning as the last storm moved through. Sister had some damage to her house as did others in town. It has been a long time since I recall seeing severe hail, let alone twice in such a short time. 

Archived