• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion

IsentropicLift

Wash, rinse, repeat. We just go back into a default +PNA and -EPO after brief relaxations and it's definitely +PDO and I think to some extent +ENSO driven. If the Atlantic projections are correct and we go into a long term -AMO, I think +NAO and +AO may become predominant over the next several years.

Just a very dramatic pattern shift from what we were experiencing from roughly 2005-2012. The shift in the strongest

blocking from Greenland to the NE PAC in early 2013 took about a year to flip the PDO positive.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does this mean? Please explain in as much detail as you can. Thanks.

Colder temps here relative to the means since later in 2013 as the blocking in the EPO and PNA regions promoted

a trough initially over the Great Lakes which shifted east to our region this year.

NYC monthly departures since 8/13

8/13....-0.6

9/13/...-0.1

10/13...+3.3

11/13...-2.5

12/13...+1.3

1/14.....-4.0

2/14.....-3.7

3/14.....-4.8

4/14.....-0.7

5/14......+1.6

6/14.....+1.0

7/14.....-0.4

8/14.....-0.7

9/14.....+1.7

10/14...+2.7

11/14....-2.4

12/14....+3.0

1/15......-2.7

2/15.....-11.4

3/15.....-4.4

12Z euro has 60s tomorrow and down to near 50 at KNYC for Tuesday as the backdoor front moves through, then 40-45 Wed/Thurs, lower 50s Fri, and back into the mid/upper 40s Saturday. No 70s through the end of its run in mid April. I think NYC's first 70 will probably occur in the 12-16th period, next week, when we might have a window for several days of drier/sunny weather. Then I believe the mean trough returns to the Northeast for the second half of April as the +PNA rebuilds. Tropical forcing could support this. Euro ensembles indicate the resurgence of W Canadian ridging by the 16th, which could retrograde the trough back into the Northeast US. Going to be a tough road this year for prolonged warmth in our area. April should finish cooler than normal.

I'm not buying that at all. Models are notoriously too cold behind strong warm fronts. Out ahead of the cold front, expect the Euro and GFS to understimate strong WAA. I think there will be widespread 60's and 70's in the metro region, away from coastal areas (marine influence) on Friday. Coastal areas will struggle to get much above 50...

The air mass behind this system is not really impressive at all. Going forward, on the models, I think we'll see temps moderate behind it. Mid 50's seems like a good bet for the area at this point, on Saturday.

I'm not buying that at all. Models are notoriously too cold behind strong warm fronts. Out ahead of the cold front, expect the Euro and GFS to understimate strong WAA. I think there will be widespread 60's and 70's in the metro region, away from coastal areas (marine influence) on Friday. Coastal areas will struggle to get much above 50...

The air mass behind this system is not really impressive at all. Going forward, on the models, I think we'll see temps moderate behind it. Mid 50's seems like a good bet for the area at this point, on Saturday.

Agree. The new Euro is near 70 Friday and probably low 60s for next weekend. I think our nicest weather comes Sat/Sun post FROPA, as cloud cover will be an issue tomorrow through Sat morning.

the modeled 850 mb temps on friday would support our first 80f if we can mix enough

The Euro had the warmest temps over interior NJ. NYC and east had a little too much S component this run.

But enough SSW flow and NYC sees the first 70, otherwise they will have to wait.

Agree. The new Euro is near 70 Friday and probably low 60s for next weekend. I think our nicest weather comes Sat/Sun post FROPA, as cloud cover will be an issue tomorrow through Sat morning.

The precip/clouds far out ahead of the cold front, is likely over-done in many areas. I think Friday could be a really nice day around here, excluding the coast...But yea I agree, the wknd looks like nice, early spring weather-- just not as warm as Friday, for the city-west.

The precip/clouds far out ahead of the cold front, is likely over-done in many areas. I think Friday could be a really nice day around here, excluding the coast...But yea I agree, the wknd looks like nice, early spring weather-- just not as warm as Friday, for the city-west.

Saturday may be the warmest day here at the coast with a mild downslope flow that could exceed guidance temps

especially if the front slows down in later runs.

Saturday may be the warmest day here at the coast with a mild downslope flow that could exceed guidance temps

especially if the front slows down in later runs.

I'd be pretty surprised if the front slows down on future runs...The closer we get to this event, the faster it has been arriving. I'm expecting the opposite. Spiking ++AO, is going to move this thing in and out pretty fast. I wouldn't be surprised if the fropa gets pushed all the way up to Friday a.m. at this point...

Very strong back door front moving through tonight into Wednesday with temps

probably staying in the 40's on Wednesday. The tight gradient between the high

to the north and weak low to the south will probably result in easterly winds

gusting 30-40 mph closer to the coast making it feel really raw.

Very strong back door front moving through tonight into Wednesday with temps

probably staying in the 40's on Wednesday. The tight gradient between the high

to the north and weak low to the south will probably result in easterly winds

gusting 30-40 mph closer to the coast making it feel really raw.

f33.gif

Yuck. Thats gonna blow

Archived