• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion

IsentropicLift

Third April in a row for NYC with a record high minimum. But we couldn't close the deal

on a high above 70 yesterday  like we did 4/14/14 when it was 75/59 and 4/10/13 at 74/55.

NYC could only top out at 67 and 64 the last two days.

4/10 55 in 2013

4/14 59 in 2014

It is now 157 consecutive days below 70 in NYC. The last day above was October 29, 2014 (72).

I don't know the number offhand but I believe last year was even a longer stretch.

Uncle W had mentioned a 191 day streak in the past.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is now 157 consecutive days below 70 in NYC. The last day above was October 29, 2014 (72).

I don't know the number offhand but I believe last year was even a longer stretch.

While I haven't looked up the record, the 71 on 12/22/13 shortened the streak last year.

22  71 

And it looks like we'll make it through April 11th at least with no 70F. Would be nice if we can make 180 days for exactly half of the year, but that will be almost impossible.

I went as far back as 1939-40 for that record...there could be a longer period before that...April 1940 had a max of 67...

Upton and Mt. Holly both should've issued a wind advisory. Just insane gusts here all day. "Gusts" being the word here- as the wind is calm most of the time, but once in a while you'll get that one 35+ mph gust.

Agree. Gusted to 47mph here earlier, and the power's been going off and on all day. Definitely needed a wind advisory here.

This has nothing to do with weather but what a BB game tonight. As a former UW student I can proudly say my Badgers were better than Kentucky. Experience and poise took over down the stretch. Now we take down Duke and the big ten owns football and basketball this year.

To make this somewhat weather related Madison Wisconsin winters are cold and somewhat boring. Six to eight is a big snow event there, one foot snows are rare, two foot unheard of.

Monday Yanks at one and Wisconsin at night. It doesn't get much better than that, unless of course both lose.

Classic April back door week setting up across the area.

Should be another late first 70 of spring for NYC with the first 70 not occurring before April 10th.

First NYC 70 of spring from April 10th or later since 1980:

2014....4-11

2008....4-10

2003...4-15*

1996...4-12

1993....4-19*

1992....4-10

1984...4-26*

1983...4-23*

1982....4-16*

1980....4-13

Hellish transition from Tuesday to Wednesday though. It could be in the low 70s on Tuesday and stuck in the 40s with clouds and showers on Wednesday. It's only a two day cool down however though clouds and showers will continue to plague the area even after it warms up again. 

This month so far looks like it'll average above normal though it's still very early. I wonder if this will signal an ultimate weather pattern change where above normal temperatures will rule beyond April and into the summer or if it ends up like December where the above normal temperatures that month were more of an anomaly than the norm. 

60 in the park. Maybe a shot at 70 over the next couple days.

12Z euro has 60s tomorrow and down to near 50 at KNYC for Tuesday as the backdoor front moves through, then 40-45 Wed/Thurs, lower 50s Fri, and back into the mid/upper 40s Saturday. No 70s through the end of its run in mid April. I think NYC's first 70 will probably occur in the 12-16th period, next week, when we might have a window for several days of drier/sunny weather. Then I believe the mean trough returns to the Northeast for the second half of April as the +PNA rebuilds. Tropical forcing could support this. Euro ensembles indicate the resurgence of W Canadian ridging by the 16th, which could retrograde the trough back into the Northeast US. Going to be a tough road this year for prolonged warmth in our area. April should finish cooler than normal.

Then I believe the mean trough returns to the Northeast for the second half of April as the +PNA rebuilds. Tropical forcing could support this. Euro ensembles indicate the resurgence of W Canadian ridging by the 16th, which could retrograde the trough back into the Northeast US. Going to be a tough road this year for prolonged warmth in our area. April should finish cooler than normal.

The long range guidance has been hinting at this eventuality from the mid to later part of this month. It's very difficult

to go more than a short time without either a +PNA or -EPO with the recent string of monthly +PDO records. You can

also notice how the ridge trough progression has shifted east this year where the mean trough is at home over the

Northeast instead of the Great Lakes like last year.

The long range guidance has been hinting at this eventuality from the mid to later part of this month. It's very difficult

to go more than a short time without either a +PNA or -EPO with the recent string of monthly +PDO records. You can

also notice how the ridge trough progression has shifted east this year where the mean trough is at home over the

Northeast instead of the Great Lakes like last year.

Wash, rinse, repeat. We just go back into a default +PNA and -EPO after brief relaxations and it's definitely +PDO and I think to some extent +ENSO driven. If the Atlantic projections are correct and we go into a long term -AMO, I think +NAO and +AO may become predominant over the next several years.

Archived