• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 31, 2015 Severe Weather

LithiaWx

SPC changed a lot of the Marginal area to Slight.  Looks like some strong downbursts are possible with Large damaging hail.

First legit SE threat of the severe weather season!!!!  No NC isn't in the area so I don't expect a very active thread but we do have posters in these areas including the ATL metro.

post-2727-0-69906600-1427821447_thumb.gi

DAY 1 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK 
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1124 AM CDT TUE MAR 31 2015

VALID 311630Z - 011200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM WESTERN OK AND NORTH TX
   INTO THE GULF COAST STATES...

...THERE IS A MRGL RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINS ACROSS
   MUCH OF THE SOUTHEAST STATES...

...SUMMARY...
   A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL AND ISOLATED DAMAGING
   WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM THE
   RED RIVER VALLEY OF TEXAS AND OKLAHOMA EASTWARD ACROSS PARTS OF
   ARKANSAS...TENNESSEE...MISSISSIPPI...ALABAMA...AND GEORGIA.

MORNING WATER VAPOR LOOPS SHOW SEVERAL WEAK SHORTWAVE TROUGHS
   EMBEDDED IN NORTHWEST FLOW ALOFT FROM THE CENTRAL PLAINS INTO THE
   SOUTHEAST STATES.  THIS AXIS IS ALSO WHERE A WEAK SURFACE BAROCLINIC
   ZONE RESIDES...RESULTING IN A LONG...NARROW REGION WHERE SCATTERED
   THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.  A FEW
   OF THESE STORM CLUSTERS WILL POSE A RISK OF LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING
   WINDS.

...OK/NORTH TX...
   STRONG HEATING IS OCCURRING OVER MUCH OF OK AND NORTH TX...WHERE
   STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND DEWPOINTS IN THE 50S TO LOWER 60S
   WILL YIELD AFTERNOON MLCAPE VALUES OF 2500+ J/KG.  PRESENT
   INDICATIONS ARE THAT...DESPITE WEAK FORCING...SCATTERED
   THUNDERSTORMS WILL FORM OVER WESTERN OK AND WESTERN NORTH TX LATE
   THIS AFTERNOON WHEN HEATING FINALLY ELIMINATES THE CAP ALONG THE
   DRYLINE.  A SUBTLE FEATURE OVER EASTERN CO IS MOVING SOUTHEASTWARD
   AND MAY PROMOTE CONVECTIVE INITIATION.  FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST
   RATHER WEAK LOW LEVEL WINDS...BUT SUFFICIENT EFFECTIVE SHEAR FOR A
   RISK OF SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF VERY LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS.
   MOST RECENT CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODELS SUGGEST STORMS WILL CONGEAL
   ACROSS SOUTHERN OK AND NORTH TX THIS EVENING BEFORE WEAKENING BEFORE
   MIDNIGHT.

...AR TO GA...
   A WEAK SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER AR WILL TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD INTO THE
   GULF COAST STATES TODAY...WHERE A RATHER WEAK CAP AND STEEP MID
   LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE PRESENT.  THIS SHOULD LEAD TO SCATTERED
   AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORMS ALONG THE SLIGHT RISK CORRIDOR.  DEEP-LAYER
   SHEAR AND SUFFICIENT MLCAPE VALUES WILL FAVOR ROTATING STORMS
   CAPABLE OF HAIL AND GUSTY/DAMAGING WINDS.

mcd0161.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0161
1247 PM CDT TUE MAR 31 2015

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL AL...CNTRL/SRN GA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 311747Z - 311945Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TSTM COVERAGE IS LIKELY TO INCREASE THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON
FROM CNTRL AL INTO CNTRL/SRN GA. A FEW CLUSTERS MAY EVOLVE OUT OF
THIS ACTIVITY...POSING A THREAT FOR STRONG TO SVR WIND GUSTS AND
HAIL. TRENDS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WW.

DISCUSSION...VISIBLE SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW INCREASING COVERAGE OF
TOWERING CU STRETCHING FROM BHM SEWD TO LGC...WITH A COUPLE
LIGHTNING STRIKES MORE RECENTLY NOTED. THE FOCUS FOR CONVECTIVE
INITIATION IS NOT READILY APPARENT...AS SFC OBS SHOW WEAK/NEARLY
UNIFORM WLY SFC WINDS ACROSS THE REGION. HOWEVER...A LOW-MIDLEVEL
PERTURBATION WAS NOTED ON VISIBLE IMAGERY...AND WAS QUICKLY MOVING
EWD ACROSS CNTRL AL. THIS APPEARS TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPTICK
IN CU DEVELOPMENT OVER THE PAST 1-2 HOURS. WITH LITTLE TO NO CINH
PRESENT...AND STRONG DIURNAL HEATING AMIDST MODERATELY STEEP
MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES YIELDING MLCAPE OF 1000-1500 J/KG...THE TREND
FOR INCREASING TSTM DEVELOPMENT IS LIKELY TO CONTINUE.

NEARLY UNIDIRECTIONAL WLY FLOW /WEAK IN THE LOW-LEVELS/ SUGGEST THAT
A FEW CLUSTERS COULD EVOLVE THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON...AND COULD POSE A
THREAT FOR STRONG-SVR WIND GUSTS...AND PERHAPS HAIL. PRIMARY
UNCERTAINTIES WILL REMAIN LACK OF OBVIOUS FOCUS FOR TSTM
DEVELOPMENT...AS WELL AS THE SPATIAL EXTENT OF ANY ACCOMPANYING
THREAT...BUT TRENDS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WW.

..ROGERS/HART.. 03/31/2015

ATTN...WFO...CHS...JAX...FFC...TAE...BMX...HUN...MOB...JAN...

LAT...LON 31988693 32678842 34198817 34318773 34018606 33148292
32628212 31578228 31348292 31418507 31758620 31988693

mcd0161.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0161

1247 PM CDT TUE MAR 31 2015

AREAS AFFECTED...CNTRL AL...CNTRL/SRN GA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 311747Z - 311945Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TSTM COVERAGE IS LIKELY TO INCREASE THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON

FROM CNTRL AL INTO CNTRL/SRN GA. A FEW CLUSTERS MAY EVOLVE OUT OF

THIS ACTIVITY...POSING A THREAT FOR STRONG TO SVR WIND GUSTS AND

HAIL. TRENDS ARE BEING MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WW.

DISCUSSION...VISIBLE SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW INCREASING COVERAGE OF

TOWERING CU STRETCHING FROM BHM SEWD TO LGC...WITH A COUPLE

LIGHTNING STRIKES MORE RECENTLY NOTED. THE FOCUS FOR CONVECTIVE

INITIATION IS NOT READILY APPARENT...AS SFC OBS SHOW WEAK/NEARLY

UNIFORM WLY SFC WINDS ACROSS THE REGION. HOWEVER...A LOW-MIDLEVEL

PERTURBATION WAS NOTED ON VISIBLE IMAGERY...AND WAS QUICKLY MOVING

EWD ACROSS CNTRL AL. THIS APPEARS TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE UPTICK

IN CU DEVELOPMENT OVER THE PAST 1-2 HOURS. WITH LITTLE TO NO CINH

PRESENT...AND STRONG DIURNAL HEATING AMIDST MODERATELY STEEP

MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES YIELDING MLCAPE OF 1000-1500 J/KG...THE TREND

FOR INCREASING TSTM DEVELOPMENT IS LIKELY TO CONTINUE.

NEARLY UNIDIRECTIONAL WLY FLOW /WEAK IN THE LOW-LEVELS/ SUGGEST THAT

A FEW CLUSTERS COULD EVOLVE THROUGH MID-AFTERNOON...AND COULD POSE A

THREAT FOR STRONG-SVR WIND GUSTS...AND PERHAPS HAIL. PRIMARY

UNCERTAINTIES WILL REMAIN LACK OF OBVIOUS FOCUS FOR TSTM

DEVELOPMENT...AS WELL AS THE SPATIAL EXTENT OF ANY ACCOMPANYING

THREAT...BUT TRENDS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WW.

..ROGERS/HART.. 03/31/2015

ATTN...WFO...CHS...JAX...FFC...TAE...BMX...HUN...MOB...JAN...

LAT...LON 31988693 32678842 34198817 34318773 34018606 33148292

32628212 31578228 31348292 31418507 31758620 31988693

Yep first watch and probably warnings on tap for us.  I am going to get the popcorn for this one...

Okay, I have to ask. Considering the fact that people have lost their lives in severe storms and tornadoes, how can anyone hope for such severe weather?

It's going to happen , whether we wish for it or not, some people just enjoy watching and tracking the storms. Kind of like snow, it causes wrecks and people die, but I love snow/winter storms like a 5 year old does!

Okay, I have to ask. Considering the fact that people have lost their lives in severe storms and tornadoes, how can anyone hope for such severe weather?

This comes up every year with Severe and Hurricanes.  I can wish all I want, it isn't going to make a storm or hurricane change anything.  Storms and hurricanes are going to do what they are going to do.  I just hope I'm lucky enough to document the carnage when it happens.

Regarding the severe wx threat for ATL, the 12Z GFS and Euro are miles apart. From ATL north into the N burbs: whereas the GFS has a solid 0.25" of qpf averaged out over that area, the Euro only has about 0.02". So, whereas the GFS is implying good coverage, the Euro is implying only very isolated at most for heavy thunderstorms. It will be interesting to see which one verifies more closely. On the side of the Euro are the wind flow at 500 mb (an often dry WNW flow) and the sfc (usually pretty dry W flow) as well as its higher quality overall. One can get isolated severe with those windflows but widespread storms with them are not easy to get. Dewpoints are down close to 50. The Euro and the NWS severe thunderstorm map both imply that the bulk of the activity will be SW of the city. We'll see. Will the GFS score a coup or will the Euro show it who is King?

I assume that the shorter term models would have the best handle but the NAM among others generally sucks IMO.

Descrete cells popping up all over the watch area as Marietta stated. Watch the tor warned cell west of Gunnison, MS headed towards Benoit, MS. Broad circulation with a good bit of dust being lifted into the inflow notch per CC. This one could organize and be pretty potent. Anyone got a mesoscale shot of 1-3km shear and one of most unsable cape? Would love to see it since I am mobile.

Descrete cells popping up all over the watch area as Marietta stated. Watch the tor warned cell west of Gunnison, MS headed towards Benoit, MS. Broad circulation with a good bit of dust being lifted into the inflow notch per CC. This one could organize and be pretty potent. Anyone got a mesoscale shot of 1-3km shear and one of most unsable cape? Would love to see it since I am mobile.

post-2727-0-82039100-1427833380_thumb.gi

post-2727-0-86069700-1427833386_thumb.gi

had trouble finding 1-3km shear..  any others you want to see?

had trouble finding 1-3km shear.. any others you want to see?

Thanks man that is perfect! GA looks very primed for descrete's to pop anytime. 3000 j/kg plus cape in S GA. 45 kt shear areas popping all over the SE. We have a good recipe for severe stoms to manifest, lets see if dewpoints and surface winds ingnite the gasoline soon! Once again like marietta said, no one wishes for severe but there is nothing wrong with covering and discussing the possibility.

As of now, it looks like the King is beating the GFS like a rented mule for the city of Atlanta north into the northern burbs. The GFS had a whopping 0.25" of qpf averaged out over that area for the period 2-8PM whereas the King only had about 0.02" with the bulk of metro activity just W and S of the city. We're not yet to 8 PM but the clock is ticking.

Thanks man that is perfect! GA looks very primed for descrete's to pop anytime. 3000 j/kg plus cape in S GA. 45 kt shear areas popping all over the SE. We have a good recipe for severe stoms to manifest, lets see if dewpoints and surface winds ingnite the gasoline soon! Once again like marietta said, no one wishes for severe but there is nothing wrong with covering and discussing the possibility.

Clearly that didn't do anything because nothing even popped up in S GA.This area sucks at everything. The GFS sucks.Euro ftw.

Clearly that didn't do anything because nothing even popped up in S GA.This area sucks at everything. The GFS sucks.Euro ftw.

Yep sometimes thats how the cookie crumbles. The ingredients were there but I assume there was an inversion cap that was able to contain the energy present & not allow parcels to reach their LFC (level of free convection). We have come a long way predicting severe weather but it still isn't an exact science. This was never much of a tornado theat but I am surpised that you completely missed out. I understand your pain though to an extent. Almost every afternoon in WNC I can look SW toward Brevard, NC and spot a nice thunderhead, only to watch it rain itself out over that area with little movement. There are areas in WNC that average 80" plus of rain a year, whereas Dry Ridge in the northern part of Buncombe Co. only sees around 20" of rain a year. I know this is due to the mountains and thier effect, but I still understand how you feel and experience it myself quite often. I will be driving up 95 tomorrow on my way home from FL so I would expect a pour down because thats how my luck works haha. Oh well, on to the next severe event.

Yep sometimes thats how the cookie crumbles. The ingredients were there but I assume there was an inversion cap that was able to contain the energy present & not allow parcels to reach their LFC (level of free convection). We have come a long way predicting severe weather but it still isn't an exact science. This was never much of a tornado theat but I am surpised that you completely missed out. I understand your pain though to an extent. Almost every afternoon in WNC I can look SW toward Brevard, NC and spot a nice thunderhead, only to watch it rain itself out over that area with little movement. There are areas in WNC that average 80" plus of rain a year, whereas Dry Ridge in the northern part of Buncombe Co. only sees around 20" of rain a year. I know this is due to the mountains and thier effect, but I still understand how you feel and experience it myself quite often. I will be driving up 95 tomorrow on my way home from FL so I would expect a pour down because thats how my luck works haha. Oh well, on to the next severe event.

Haha yeah. SPC has actually extended the slight risk to include our area. They just issued a meso discussion talking about the threat for hail. I say 0.1% chance of actually seeing rain fall out the sky. Oh well, we got tomorrow!

Haha yeah. SPC has actually extended the slight risk to include our area. They just issued a meso discussion talking about the threat for hail. I say 0.1% chance of actually seeing rain fall out the sky. Oh well, we got tomorrow!

Yeah got a nice outflow boundary that you can see on radar heading due south off the line of storms to your north.  I hope you get a nice storm but it might just do the Waycross shuffle and develop just after it passes you by.

Yeah got a nice outflow boundary that you can see on radar heading due south off the line of storms to your north. I hope you get a nice storm but it might just do the Waycross shuffle and develop just after it passes you by.

Or just dissipate as it enters the deathzone of storms in the SE. NWS put thunderstorms in the forecast. Should have left it as it was Lol. At least we will get some 25-35mph gusts with the outflow boundary.

Although the GFS failed miserably vs. the King through the 2-8 PM period, the GFS has comeback to beat the King tonight due to the most rainfall yet by far for ATL and into some of the N burbs. Also, SAV has been getting pretty good rains. The King had virtually nothing for those areas overnight. What a turnaround for the GFS!

Archived