• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring - 2015 version

KamuSnow

Lots of signs of spring here this week. Forsythias finally began blooming this past Sunday, about 2 days later than last year. Have a white Magnolia that is just about in full bloom. Smells amazing too. Today a Weeping Cherry tree began blooming. Grass is getting pretty long in spots. A turkey strolled through this morning, haven't seen that here before. Pretty funny, the squirrels all took cover.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were snowier, but a lot easier to take, in general.  The worst winter of the four mentioned, for me, was 13-14, owing to the hazardous walking.  We ran out of salt somewhere along the way.

Maybe the redwood did better under a snow pile than exposed to the desiccating winds.

That could be the case in 10-11.  In 09-10, it just plain never got that cold...  in fact, temps never broke 10 degrees back home.

Got the first mow of the season in today. I don't keep track of these things, but this is probably as late as ever for the first mow. I might have been able to push it another week, but I think my yard will be under water after tomorrow.

Yeah, it'll definitely be the latest first cut of the season here as well. Probably the end of this week. Crazy as it'll be just 1 week until May.

The recent warmth has caused the early bloomers to finally peak bloom, such as the cherry blossoms, Bradford pears, forsythias, and magnolias. The larger trees are now budding but are still winter like / bare looking. With the cool pattern over the next 10 days, we'll be ending April still way behind schedule. I don't think I'll be at full leaf-out until May 15th this year.

Grass is green on front lawn but no cut yet, next week to match the last weekend of April last year first cut. Side lawns look a long way away they still have to green up.

First mater transplanted into a giant pot on deck has ping pong size fruit, trying to get a Memorial Day weekend first tomato :tomato:

The grass is green and growing, the trees are blooming and budding and the yard work is never ending. My investment in tissue boxes, strategically placed throughout the home and vehicles, has made the beginning of allergy season tolerable. As for grass cuts, yes this season does seem to be a few weeks behind but that is okay by me. 

Oh, another sure sign of Spring is me working on my golf swing.  First I slice......then I pull.....and finally I settle on a nice draw. Every year I find it interesting watching how age impacts the swing and the tweaks required to compensate.  Upper body is fine, the issues seem to be more around hip and knees. Adjusting torque by opening stance etc etc.  Funny thing about energy....it always finds a path.  ;)

We have a freeze advisory for tonight and I am hoping the cloud cover will keep the frost down. I jumped the gun and planted my tomatoes and peppers.

Super light fabric row covers from garden supply work well. But anything you can put over the plant will work such as large upside down planters, thinking outside the box even a cooler turned upside down. I Believe the worst frost morning will be Saturday due to lighter winds.

Super light fabric row covers from garden supply work well. But anything you can put over the plant will work such as large upside down planters, thinking outside the box even a cooler turned upside down. I Believe the worst frost morning will be Saturday due to lighter winds.

even buckets

Had ice on the deck yesterday morning.   Only 36.2 this morning, too much wind overnight in NW Chesco.

36 here as well, clouds also kept it warm. What impresses me right now is the fact that at 12:30 pm on a full sunny day (here) on April 24th, it's only 48F! Creates some concern for tonight....

Thought this weekend would be the first lawn cut but there is very little grass to mow so maybe not

I've mowed three times so far already this season. The trees may not be green, but my lawn sure is. Of course thay may have something to do with the fertilizer I put down...

I've mowed three times so far already this season. The trees may not be green, but my lawn sure is. Of course thay may have something to do with the fertilizer I put down...

Yes, a lot to do with that. My neighbors use fertilizer and their grass greened up a solid 7-10 days prior to mine. Just did the first cut yesterday here, but probably could have made it until the very end of April. Amazing the difference fertilizer makes in green-up. For me, I prefer to stay 100% natural.

Were any low temperature records set in the Philly-NYC area?  Anyone?  NWS discussions often list them in the climate section, but didn't notice any posted in either office's AFDs today (OKX had a list of record lows and predicted lows for this morning, but never followed up with whether any locations reached record lows).  

Philly area lows... records as noted:

PHL   37 (33 in 1956, 1888)
PNE   34
LOM   34
VAY   31
ILG   31 (31 in 1936, 1919)
PTW   30
DYL   30
MQS   32
WRI   30
TTN   33 (30 in 1919)
MIV   26