• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Signs of Spring - 2015 version

KamuSnow

Last snow piles disappeared yesterday in NW Chesco - one day later than last year.

Here in AC, NJ sea breeze has finally calmed down with some light rain.   It's been pretty chilly

since we got here Sunday.   While Philly basked in mid 70's yesterday, it was 20 degrees cooler

here with a rather biting wind.   57 this morning is the warmest its been yet since Sunday.

We'll be getting a taste of that cool here over the next couple of days...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. Grass finally starting to green up, magnolias on the verge of blooming, perennials broke ground several days ago, and the maples have red buds. Forsythia buds and Bradford pear buds also beginning to have that pre-bloom look. Trees and vegetation overall are probably at least 1 week behind schedule, if not more. This will probably be the latest first cut in memory, unless we have an 80 degree day in the next week, which doesn't look likely. Probably looking at the 3rd week of April as well here. 

Nice to see things getting busy even if it is a late start. I don't mind the late start if there's snow involved like this (and last) year. Things can catch up pretty quickly with the right kind of weather.

Saw a row of cherries blooming today near Penn's Landing (alongside I-95 on Front St.).  Magnolias about to bust out, my lilacs are budding up... Was able to get some transplanting done before the rains started this afternoon.

I know in the past, there were often a few upper-80F - low-90F days around the 3rd week of April.  Not sure if that is going to happen this year (haven't looked at the long range), but we'll see.  We've also had some late frosts in May too, which is why the "after Mother's Day" planting advice for tender annuals around here. 

While it wasn't severe, we did have a storm roll through Tamaqua this morning around 4:00am. A couple of loud cracks and some quick, very heavy rain.

Down here in W Windsor, woke to a lot of thunder, and one loud crack at the end. Before 4 AM.   Checked Doppler radar to see a very fast moving pulse moving W-E over central NJ.  Must have been upper level pulse from warm air to the west.

Not technically competent to say what was happening.  Did get some brief but heavy rain from the pulse.

Some pics from Ewing today... (yes, I'm in town ;) )

attachicon.gifIMG_4542.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4532.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4528.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4525.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4507.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4482.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4479.JPG

Very late spring again this year. Forsythia on the verge of blooming and crocuses in full bloom is generally a late March phenomenon on average. Probably won't see full leaf out on the larger trees until mid May this spring. Bradford pears still aren't out and the cherries have at least another week-10 days until bloom.

Nice shots, Ray.  Red maples are budding here in W Windsor but yours are ahead.  Nice Magnolias.

Woods here are showing green buds at last.

Hope your Coast Redwood is still there.

Nice shots, Ray. Red maples are budding here in W Windsor but yours are ahead. Nice Magnolias.

Woods here are showing green buds at last.

Hope your Coast Redwood is still there.

Just barely, looks a lot like it did after last winter. Think it'll hang on and make a comeback like last year. (I can't let it grow to tree size there so it's being pruned to be a bushe, hence why it's still about the same size)

post-39-0-60323600-1428983820_thumb.jpg

Just barely, looks a lot like it did after last winter. Think it'll hang on and make a comeback like last year. (I can't let it grow to tree size there so it's being pruned to be a bushe, hence why it's still about the same size)

My redwood turns brown every winter and then gets new foliage every spring. It has swelled buds right now. It's about 25' feet tall, trunk is about 5" in diameter.

My redwood turns brown every winter and then gets new foliage every spring. It has swelled buds right now. It's about 25' feet tall, trunk is about 5" in diameter.

Ray, thanks for the photo!  Doesn't look great.  The last two winters were tough.  

It's wise to keep it a smaller bush, as you say.  Maybe we should wish for a mild winter next time around?   :whistle:  I like the snow, but an old man doesn't mind a break.

Wow, Iceman.  Is it a coast redwood, or one of the other types? NW of Philly must be colder than Ewing in the winter.  Dawn Redwood is an exotic, from China, and survives the winter by dropping its leaves.  There is a little grove of them in Princeton, but they are still bare right now.  I'm guessing that this is what you have, but I may be wrong.

More than most things in California, I miss the redwoods.  Still plenty of them along the North Coast.  Google "Damnation Creek Trail".  A favorite.

The other two snowy winters it has been thru, 09-10 and 10-11, were not as cold and so it was much greener aftrwards.

They were snowier, but a lot easier to take, in general.  The worst winter of the four mentioned, for me, was 13-14, owing to the hazardous walking.  We ran out of salt somewhere along the way.

Maybe the redwood did better under a snow pile than exposed to the desiccating winds.

Archived