SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO we should refrain from giving out snowfall accumulations at this range. They aren't important and will end up being likely wrong or will change.

Just giving an idea of the thermal profiles, which I believe SV to be very conservative with.

Just giving an idea of the thermal profiles, which I believe SV to be very conservative with.

This is probably going to end up being a very elevation reliant system.

Not that the coast won't see accumulations, but I would expect the hill country to do the best in this setup, especially given climo.

If we can get a stronger system and better dynamics then all bets would be off.

PASTE JOB just outside the city

SV maps take BL into acct . Layers looks better than that .

DEF not OTS

KNYC

850 -5

925 -4

BL 34

850 -1

925 0

BL 33

I read that you need 850mb temps at -6c or greater to support all snow in mid/late March and April because the air modifies quicker at the boundary layer than during the winter, especially during the day

I read that you need 850mb temps at -6c or greater to support all snow in mid/late March and April because the air modifies quicker at the boundary layer than during the winter, especially during the day

You need - 35 for all snow.

Otherwise you taint.

Good afternoon everyone.

The Euro Ens mean is SE of the op run, it takes the low pressure track just SE of the BM. With 540 thicknesses making it into southern CT and lower HV then crashing south as the low departs. Again this is the 51 member MEAN.

It's very similar to the op.

For NYC the Ens is about .60" of precip. The op is .70"

It's very similar to the op.

For NYC the Ens is about .60" of precip. The op is .70"

Agreed. Nothing dramatic but a tad SE nonetheless. After wxbell updated, it's clear that a lot of members are NW of the mean. In fact a bunch track the SLP over ACK or even farther inland. It's actually strange looking how the mean low is so far south with, by the looks of it, all most all the members NW of the mean.

The .5 contour runs through the LHV and nearly along i84 through RI and into SE MA. The .6 contour runs just west of NYC covers nearly all of LI and coastal CT and the southern half of RI.

Agreed. Nothing dramatic but a tad SE nonetheless. After wxbell updated, it's clear that a lot of members are NW of the mean. In fact a bunch track the SLP over ACK or even farther inland. It's actually strange looking how the mean low is so far south with, by the looks of it, all most all the members NW of the mean.

The .5 contour runs through the LHV and nearly along i84 through RI and into SE MA. The .6 contour runs just west of NYC covers nearly all of LI and coastal CT and the southern half of RI.

This might be a result of how the low interacts with the Great Lakes low. Perhaps there is either significant interaction or none. The 12z GFS and CMC OP runs show something like this, with CMC having the slp just SE of Cape Cod at 102, and the GFS putting it closer to Bermuda.

Where did you read that?

Met Steve D. He said once you get into mid March and beyond, that 0c at 850mb no longer means snow like it does during the previous winter months. The airmass modifies much faster during this time of the year once you reach the boundary layer

Met Steve D. He said once you get into mid March and beyond, that 0c at 850mb no longer means snow like it does during the previous winter months. The airmass modifies much faster during this time of the year once you reach the boundary layer

it does make sense although that guy doesn't have a clue about predicting weather. He's been wrong every time this year. GFS 18z was a quick hitting 2-4 for Friday and so was nam 18zdb2754e5a0011a36c070aa0d73eb09a1.jpgf2c0aa4c40237fec645c8913d1bc5b25.jpg044290f2b4b841434f07279f5641357b.jpg8c6908f43dec253f77552d5548da5953.jpgd99006e7c696429b7402a80417dad419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it does make sense although that guy doesn't have a clue about predicting weather. He's been wrong every time this year. GFS 18z was a quick hitting 2-4 for Friday and so was nam 18zdb2754e5a0011a36c070aa0d73eb09a1.jpgf2c0aa4c40237fec645c8913d1bc5b25.jpg044290f2b4b841434f07279f5641357b.jpg8c6908f43dec253f77552d5548da5953.jpgd99006e7c696429b7402a80417dad419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

The nam is a dusting to inch of slop for everyone here with the exception of parts of central and southern NJ

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Phase changes don't happen at various temperatures based on what time of the year it is. Either Steve, or you, are probably referring to the guidelines about partial thicknesses. 540 partial thickness doesn't mean the same thing in March as it does in January, because its likely to represent colder aloft/warmer surface since the bl warms with a stronger sun angle. That's why we get more rain/snow mix and less sleet in the Spring- the SFC is usually the warmest part of the column. None of that however has anything to do with 850s being below freezing.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Phase changes don't happen at various temperatures based on what time of the year it is. Either Steve, or you, are probably referring to the guidelines about partial thicknesses. 540 partial thickness doesn't mean the same thing in March as it does in January, because its likely to represent colder aloft/warmer surface since the bl warms with a stronger sun angle. That's why we get more rain/snow mix and less sleet in the Spring- the SFC is usually the warmest part of the column. None of that however has anything to do with 850s being below freezing.

I understood it to mean during daylight hours, in order to overcome the effects from a late March sun

Sent from my iPhone

18z GFS definitely is NOT a quick hitting 2 to 4. We're going to need much more than .20 of precip to get 2 to 4 inches of snow during the daylight hours this time of year. GFS is basically white rain. We need the Euro solution to pan out to have a shot at a few slushy inches.

I understood it to mean during daylight hours, in order to overcome the effects from a late March sun

You're not understanding what part of the comment I'm arguing with. 850s isn't any more or less able to be used to determine p-type during the day in March than it is at night in January. Its partial thicknesses that CAN mean different things at different times of the year. 850mb T doesn't have any impact, nor serves as an indicator of temperature above or below that layer.

Dude if he wrote that and I have way of knowing if he did It's wrong.

Mid levels temps and its ability to dynamically cool the BL will always be determined by rates.

You are conflating sun angle and sticking on pavement with the actual ability of what it takes to snow.

Guest Pamela

NYC was in something of a dry slot during that storm. Boston isn't that different on April 1st and had 25". If the insane dynamics they had came through further southwest, NYC would've been crushed too. 

That one on 4/1/1997 was maybe two degrees away from delivering major snows to NYC & LI; parts of Westchester saw 18 inches. 

Guest Pamela

That one on 4/1/1997 was maybe two degrees away from delivering major snows to NYC & LI; parts of Westchester saw 18 inches. 

37 Inches at Jewett ............. in East Central New York State

35 Inches at Platte Cove ........ in East Central New York State

33 Inches at Milford ............ in Central Massachusetts

30 Inches at Hopkinton .......... in Eastern Massachusetts

30 Inches at Shrewsbury ......... in Central Massachusetts

30 Inches at Ski Windham ........ in Southwestern Vermont

29 Inches at Prattsville ........ in East Central New York State

28 Inches at Broome ............. in East Central New York State

28 Inches at Burrillville ....... in Northern Rhode Island

28 Inches at Gilboa ............. in East Central New York State

27 Inches at Jaffrey ............ in Southern New Hampshire

26 Inches at Berne .............. in East Central New York State

26 Inches at West Townsend ...... in Eastern Massachusetts

25 Inches at Westerlo ........... in East Central New York State

24 Inches at Christiana ......... in Central Pennsylvania

22 Inches at Worcester .......... in Central Massachusetts

20 Inches at Taunton ............ in Southeastern Massachusetts

18 Inches at Brewster ........... in Southeastern New York State

18 Inches at Carmel ............. in Southeastern New York State

Carmel & Brewster both right near the Putnam / Westchester line.

Archived