• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

The cooler temperatures are a nice change. It has sprinkled IMBY and there are some other thunder showers in the area but nothing substantial yet. Come on, downpour!

*Edit- The line intensified a bit overhead and I got a solid shower out of it. Still might pick up a bit more before this round moves through. I'd guess maybe 0.3"-0.4" rain so far. Much needed.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outflow boundaries set to collide just south of Waco along the front.   

Imminent showers south of CLL never materialized in the area.  With timing of the front passing through CLL late tonight when air is more stable, am concerned T-shower development and rain may be sparse despite the promising PWs.  

Woke up to the sweet, sweet sound of a heavy SVR-warned thunderstorm moving right through my backyard! Getting dumped on.

Nice! We got hail and about 1.5" of rain yesterday afternoon and there was an awesome light show off to our east this morning while I was out running. I was hoping that the storm would clip us and give me an excuse to ditch my run :lol:

Nice! We got hail and about 1.5" of rain yesterday afternoon and there was an awesome light show off to our east this morning while I was out running. I was hoping that the storm would clip us and give me an excuse to ditch my run :lol:

I think we ended up with 0.75"-1" of rain. It was a nice soaker. There were several reports of downed trees in the area but I don't think there were any severe gusts at my house.

I'm looking forward to the low 90's this week instead of the low 100's! No more rain in the forecast for another week or so. I'm glad we got what we did.

Extreme drought conditions showing up now in east-central Texas with today's Drought Monitor update. From drought to excessive rainfall, back to drought in some portions of Texas?

attachicon.gif20150901_tx_none.png

I had close to 20" of rain in May and plenty in June, but since then I've seen a couple of showers and that's it. The sun is ridiculously strong in the summer here (stronger than Long Island, that's for sure), and the ground's as dry as a bone now. Luckily Lake Travis hasn't dropped by that much this summer:

http://www.golaketravis.com/waterlevel/

But just looking at the grounds around Austin, I can definitely see the upgrade to borderline severe drought. We also have wildfire alerts now too.

I had close to 20" of rain in May and plenty in June, but since then I've seen a couple of showers and that's it. The sun is ridiculously strong in the summer here (stronger than Long Island, that's for sure), and the ground's as dry as a bone now. Luckily Lake Travis hasn't dropped by that much this summer:

http://www.golaketravis.com/waterlevel/

But just looking at the grounds around Austin, I can definitely see the upgrade to borderline severe drought. We also have wildfire alerts now too.

IMBY we've had about 0.3 in since July 4th.  A number of narrow misses but we are parched.  Groundwater is nearly gone.

Showers to the W and S right now.  :axe:

IMBY we've had about 0.3 in since July 4th.  A number of narrow misses but we are parched.  Groundwater is nearly gone.

Showers to the W and S right now.  :axe:

Had a shower this morning that lasted literally about 30 seconds. Then the sun came out and we rocketed to 101 for the high. Even now the air feels like the inside of an oven. I've learned quickly to despise Texas summers. 

Had a shower this morning that lasted literally about 30 seconds. Then the sun came out and we rocketed to 101 for the high. Even now the air feels like the inside of an oven. I've learned quickly to despise Texas summers. 

I agree that the unending heat gets old, but luckily most people have A/C! It's also great if you have friends with boats and a nearby lake. You'll love the mild winter, save for missing snowstorms every once in a while!

It looks like relief is on the way later this week, with a cold front and increased rain chances.

Extreme drought conditions showing up now in east-central Texas with today's Drought Monitor update. From drought to excessive rainfall, back to drought in some portions of Texas?

attachicon.gif20150901_tx_none.png

The models seem to think that this will be busted over the next 10 days, possibly with a tropical system. Looks like there could be a lot of rain for areas of E. Texas and W. Louisiana. 

I sure hope we can get at least an inch out of this system coming through tonight through Friday. The radar looks nice in Oklahoma, and that is heading south. If nothing else it will be nice to have highs in the 80's instead of 90's for a few days after the front comes through.

This will be a bit earlier than normal cold front, at least here, and as far south as the SW GoM (though, in a Niño year, this is a bit expected). We will have to monitor any tropical mischief at it's tail end when it becomes stationary and interacts with a TW and the trough associated to the cold front provides strong ventilation (and shear, at least in the beginning).

Archived