Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar 10 - Easter Weekend model/threat discussion thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy the next few days of dry weather because those are going to be the "Only one's you got" for the foreseeable future. 

Starting with the system for early next week. Models currently have this skating by just to the South of the area but this system has continued to tick further and further North. Currently the confluence from the system over Northern Canada wants to keep us dry, and while that's a possibility, things look unsettled to say the least. 

gfs_namer_111_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Then by next weekend, all eyes will be on the East coast as a system cuts off over the TN Valley. This current run of the GFS (3/6 12z) Sends plenty of snow/ice/rain into the area. As a matter of fact, the GFS is spitting out 10-20" over CT and LI and >4" areawide. 

With strong high pressure anchored over NNE and a cut off low over the TN Valley, good times are ahead.

gfs_namer_207_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

LOL at the D8-9 GFS. Tries to cut until running into the cold air, how many times are we gonna see that this year? Whether it verifies or not, at least the model recognizes the pattern.

Correct. Any other year this would be accurately viewed as mere fantasy at this range, but given the pattern in place this year, this potential day 8-9 system has quite a bit more credibility...

Correct. Any other year this would be accurately viewed as mere fantasy at this range, but given the pattern in place this year, this potential day 8-9 system has quite a bit more credibility...

The way the models have handled the pattern, might actually be better seeing this make it all the way to Toronto at this range rather than the mixed bag it shows for the region as modeled. If past results are indicative of future outcomes, this could end up as frozen for Richmond and leaving us high and dry or... (insert weenie wishcasting emoticon here)

If that high stays anchored over NNE at that strength with moisture flowing in, this could be a good one. 

The GFS shows that the high moves out extremely slowly and by the time it does, there's a new cold high moving into its place. Looking at the north Atlantic, I fully expected the high to move out a little faster, but it is intriguing the model is handling this way so that the cold high pressure blocks the storm from making a move up the Appalachians or somewhere inside the coast. This forces the energy transfer which actually happens twice as the system over Kentucky/Tennessee moves so slowly, so not one but two low centers are developed offshore. A fascinating set up, but you know it's not going to end up the way the GFS now shows it. It will change many times on the models. The CMC seems to be more of a suppressed solution. Though the UKMET doesn't go out far enough, it sure does show plenty of cold air available for whatever may happen. Many possibilities here and all options are on the table.

WX/PT

The GFS shows that the high moves out extremely slowly and by the time it does, there's a new cold high moving into its place. Looking at the north Atlantic, I fully expected the high to move out a little faster, but it is intriguing the model is handling this way so that the cold high pressure blocks the storm from making a move up the Appalachians or somewhere inside the coast. This forces the energy transfer which actually happens twice as the system over Kentucky/Tennessee moves so slowly, so not one but two low centers are developed offshore. A fascinating set up, but you know it's not going to end up the way the GFS now shows it. It will change many times on the models. The CMC seems to be more of a suppressed solution. Though the UKMET doesn't go out far enough, it sure does show plenty of cold air available for whatever may happen. Many possibilities here and all options are on the table.

WX/PT

We'll see how the EURO takes it in a few...

The gfs entire run looks crazy. Look at that insane -EPO in the LR as we head into late March.

We also get a PNA spike once again. I think one of the Mets said that we haven't had anything that signaled a huge change in the regime.

Last March we had that huge coastal storm offshore that changed the entire pattern, we have yet to see something like this so the return of the -EPO/+PNA is not that shocking.

The Euro looks to be trending towards a GFS esque solution. Only out to 150hrs.

What I have noticed is that while the globals have struggled with precip placement/storm track/temperature profiles in the long range, and rightfully so, they have done quite well in sniffing out patterns and storm potential, particularly the GFS.

With all that being said, confidence, at least for me, is above average in a major system of some sort in the 7-10 day range. Details TBD.

The gfs entire run looks crazy. Look at that insane -EPO in the LR as we head into late March.

We also get a PNA spike once again. I think one of the Mets said that we haven't had anything that signaled a huge change in the regime.

Last March we had that huge coastal storm offshore that changed the entire pattern, we have yet to see something like this so the return of the -EPO/+PNA is not that shocking.

I'm convinced this pattern is locked through at least the first half of April. Then, we may see a total pattern reversal late in April or early in May. If we don't, it's going to be an extremely chilly wet spring here.

WX/PT

I'm convinced this pattern is locked through at least the first half of April. Then, we may see a total pattern reversal late in April or early in May. If we don't, it's going to be an extremely chilly wet spring here.

WX/PT

I see a lot of similarities in terms of sensible weather to Spring 2010. 

Archived