Grade your winter

BullCityWx

Grade the 2014/2015 winter  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How was your winter

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sir, are correct.  My Grading scale is more appropriate for a higher latitude location, but I'm tough. 

I really can't remember any F's, but i have a short memory. Mostly D's though.

Nice. If I went by your scale, I'd get mostly Fs here. We're on a cold streak.

A for all the Board member participation, banter, analysis and simply answering questions. That part of winter was superb this year!

B- given we got some decent cold in November and February (otherwise, a C-).

And a public A+ to Jon for his optimism, posts, and his PM's  !!!!

27 votes and 12 of them are B- or higher. I guess we know where most of the votes are coming from. Where are all the Georgia posters ? We need more F's and D's. We can't let the NC voters skew the voting.

B- was due to the 7 plus for mby last week.

B-, really wasn't to cold or to hot for most of it kinda typical really.....then Feb got 1.5" sleet/ZR in the first storm, 3.5" in the Tues storm, then another 1.5" of snow/sleet in the bust and then hopefully a little more this Thurs night. 6.5" is right around 100% climo for me so that plus the fact I don't like long cold winters and this wasnt one makes this a solid B-

Atlanta (ITP)

Snow measured: 0.0" (0.0cm)

Sleet measured: T (2/25)

Number of school days missed or delayed due to winter weather: 3 (2/17 delay, 2/25, 2/26 delay)

Number of WSW/WWAs for my location: 2 (2/17 WWA, 2/25 WSW)

Number of winter weather busts: 2 (2/17 - CAD stronger than expected, 2/25 - snow too far north for a fair bit of the WSW)

Number of pleasant surprises: 1 (more sleet than rain on 2/25)

Model performance: D (only the RGEM and Ukie keep this from being an F)

FFC performance: C (two busted WWAs/WSWs and overdone snowfall accumulation maps, but they did the best they could considering the horrible models)

Overall grade: D if you like winter weather, A if you love cold rain.

This winter was not quite as bad as 2012/13, but it was pretty bad. I saw snow for all of five minutes on 2/25, but nothing accumulated. All I got winter precip-wise was a trace of sleet accumulation on the same day. There were a lot of cold, dry, and cold and dry days, but almost nothing to show for it. The model suites were horrible, with few perfoming well. The analog-based and long-range forecasts were all terrible. FFC's winter weather forecasts busted most of the time along US 78. There were a lot of credible threats than trended further north as the time came, leaving us without any snow and very, very little sleet.

I'm done; Thursday won't help, as all that will be is a rain-maker. On to Spring, at least then I'd be happy that the models and severe weather forecasts all bust too warm and unstable.

Considering the snow drought we got going in WNC for a long time and the fact couple of recent grads from UNCA complains about not seeing any snow during their years on Twitter, I'll take 11.25" in Asheville for a B+. However, I witnessed an additional couple of inches in Ohio and another couple of inches at Sams Gap/Roan Mountain during 11/1 event. I also hiked on AT through borderline blizzard conditions and camped out on top of Roan for few hours. Cold events were also impressive in both Asheville and that one night in Ohio. Therefore, I'll personally give this winter an A (but voted B+ for Asheville itself).

I'll base mine on the ATL northern suburb of Dunwoody rather than SAV. It is too early to give a final grade. However, if this area were to get no sig. wintry wx from here to the end, I'd likely go with something near a B-, which is a good bit higher than it would have been without the very cold and active ("FAB") last half of Feb. DJF was ~2 below normal, making it a chilly winter overall though warmer than I forecasted (-3 or colder).

Wintry precip.: was all during the FAB late Feb. In my location, I got ~1.25" of SN/IP and probably a touch of ZR. I barely missed a sig. icestorm the prior week. Although the SN accumulations were unimpressive overall due mainly to too warm temperatures, I got to see several periods of impressive snow from three different events (two of them had some big, beautiful flakes). I also got to hear/see some nice sleet from a couple of the events though nothing real impressive like happened last Feb. The 2nd half of Feb. was one of the most exciting half months I've ever experienced in the ATL area due to the combo of very persistent strong cold and four wintry events at (three) or near (one) my location and despite no actual major winter storm. Keep in mind that 1.25" of SN/IP isn't far from the median though it is only about half the mean. Also, a lot of enjoyment of weather is in the anticipation/hope in advance of it. There was plenty of that in late Feb.

I'll base mine on ATL rather than SAV. It is too early to give a final grade. However, if ATL were to get no sig. wintry wx from here to the end, I'd likely go with something near a B-, which is a good bit higher than it would have been without the very cold and active ("FAB") last half of Feb. DJF was ~2 below normal, making it a chilly winter overall though warmer than I forecasted (-3 or colder).

Wintry precip.: was all during hte FAB late Feb. In my location, I got ~1.25" of SN/IP and probably a touch of ZR. I barely missed a sig. icestorm the prior week. Although the SN accumulations were unimpressive overall due mainly to too warm temperatures, I got to see several periods of impressive snow from three different events (two of them had some big, beautiful flakes). I also got to hear/see some nice sleet from a couple of the events though nothing real impressive like happened last Feb. The 2nd half of Feb. was one of the most exciting half months I've ever experienced in ATL due to the combo of very persistent strong cold and four wintry events at (three) or near (one) my location and despite an actual major winter storm. Keep in mind that 1.25" of SN/IP isn't far from the median though it is only about half the mean.

I wasn't aware that any part of the city of Atlanta had over an inch of snow or ice this winter. When you say ATL I assume you are talking about the city and not the outlying areas.

I wasn't aware that any part of the city of Atlanta had over an inch of snow or ice this winter. When you say ATL I assume you are talking about the city and not the outlying areas.

Ooops, I changed it to what I really meant, Dunwoody (close-by N burb of ATL for those who don't know). The 1.25" comes from the sum of the two events last week. They were about equal. Thanks.

I'll base mine on the ATL northern suburb of Dunwoody rather than SAV. It is too early to give a final grade. However, if this area were to get no sig. wintry wx from here to the end, I'd likely go with something near a B-, which is a good bit higher than it would have been without the very cold and active ("FAB") last half of Feb. DJF was ~2 below normal, making it a chilly winter overall though warmer than I forecasted (-3 or colder).

Wintry precip.: was all during the FAB late Feb. In my location, I got ~1.25" of SN/IP and probably a touch of ZR. I barely missed a sig. icestorm

it looks like the last couple of weeks of feb saved the bad winter grade for a lot of n ga.  we lucked out at the end whew (yes march can bring winter wx but after this winter, the horrible model performance and overall forecast i got my winter fix so anything else would be a bonus. and probably raise the grade to an A lol)

ne ga had the biggest ice storm in 9 years, a "surprise" storm, and a couple of multi-inch snows. you would think i could remember the last two weeks' totals, but apparently my mind is fading - i dont know the exact total, but it was around 7 inches maybe? (not including ice)

I'll say B or B+. Close to 9 inches sleet/snow here in N Raleigh plus some record cold. Not a bad winter at all. Nothing amazing, but February was a very memorable month weather wise for the Triangle ( Sleet storm, Snow squall/front, 1 - 2" of snow day before 6 inch storm last week w/ thundersnow/tree damage/power outages)  Not your run of the mill February.

0.0 through 2/13

1.0" from a quick-hitting snow squall on 2/14

5.5" two days later with our first winter storm on 2/16

2.5" from that funky system from the west on 2/21

0.5" from Snow Showers on 2/24

6.0" from our second winter storm on 2/25

Total: 15.5" (and counting?)

I have it as a 'C' right now, just because of what could have been...the long wait...the terrible winter forecast hype...etc.

Wintry precip.: was all during the FAB late Feb. In my location, I got ~1.25" of SN/IP and probably a touch of ZR. I barely missed a sig. icestorm the prior week. Although the SN accumulations were unimpressive overall due mainly to too warm temperatures, I got to see several periods of impressive snow from three different events (two of them had some big, beautiful flakes). I also got to hear/see some nice sleet from a couple of the events though nothing real impressive like happened last Feb. The 2nd half of Feb. was one of the most exciting half months I've ever experienced in the ATL area due to the combo of very persistent strong cold and four wintry events at (three) or near (one) my location and despite an actual major winter storm. Keep in mind that 1.25" of SN/IP isn't far from the median though it is only about half the mean. Also, a lot of enjoyment of weather is in the anticipation/hope in advance of it. There was plenty of that in late Feb.

It's weird just how fast (location-wise) the winter can go from great to horrible. My permanent address is in Dunwoody, but whenever there was some kind of "significant" event, I'd be 15 minutes southwest in Atlanta proper, where the winter was awful.

If only GT was, oh I don't know, 20 miles north. One can dream.  :weenie:

It's weird just how fast (location-wise) the winter can go from great to horrible. My permanent address is in Dunwoody, but whenever there was some kind of "significant" event, I'd be 15 minutes southwest in Atlanta proper, where the winter was awful.

If only GT was, oh I don't know, 20 miles north. One can dream. :weenie:

is there a significant increase in elevation from atl to Dunwoody ? Being only 10-15 miles apart I can't imagine the weather being much different unless Dunwoody was significantly higher in elevation

is there a significant increase in elevation from atl to Dunwoody ? Being only 10-15 miles apart I can't imagine the weather being much different unless Dunwoody was significantly higher in elevation

There's no sig. elevation difference between ATL & Dunwoody. It was mainly bad luck for ATL (including GT campus) that the line for 2 of the events separating no measurable from slight measurable was just to the north of GT. Then again, one could argue that Dunwoody was unlucky because just 15-20 miles to its NW there was 3" of snow from the 2nd event vs ~0.75" in Dunwoody and that there was a sig. ZR a week earlier vs. a 32.0-32.1 0.50"+ rain in Dunwoody.

I'd have to give it an A. I've gotten 6.5" this year which is slightly over climo. Plus I got to see some awesome snowfall rates last week driving from Havelock, NC to home as well as the system Thursday-Friday last week. I have seen all p-types in accumulation and accrual, so I really have no complaints.

If we get another hit this Thursday, I may up it to A+.

Archived