BullCityWx

Grade the 2014/2015 winter  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How was your winter

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F----------

Analogs suck! F for analogs! F for 5 day model predictions ! F for JB riding the winter 77/78 analog into the ground! F to the wooly worm!

F to the persimmons! F to the fog, coffee bean guy in the mountains! F me for believing all the hype and my forecast of 12+ inches imby!

So the short version is, F it all!!

Atlanta sucks when it comes to snow. Really, just an awful location in the SE. Sometimes, too far west to really benefit from wedges and coastal bombs and too far east to benefit from storms that destroy the Tennessee Valley. There have even been times we've been too far North and Macon gets like 16 inches or something.

I mean, other than the extremely rare 1993 event, what other huge 12+ inch event has Atlanta got? Hell, even 9 inches. For being 1000 feet above sea level, you'd think Atlanta would get more snow than it does.

Atlanta sucks when it comes to snow. Really, just an awful location in the SE. Sometimes, too far west to really benefit from wedges and coastal bombs and too far east to benefit from storms that destroy the Tennessee Valley. There have even been times we've been too far North and Macon gets like 16 inches or something.

I mean, other than the extremely rare 1993 event, what other huge 12+ inch event has Atlanta got? Hell, even 9 inches. For being 1000 feet above sea level, you'd think Atlanta would get more snow than it does.

Yeah, that's ATL-AHN climo but at least it makes us appreciate what we do get more. Also, BHM gets even less on average though they're at a lower altitude. Actually, if you look at other cities near the latitude of ATL, the seasonal avg. of 2" is very much in the ballpark though ATL has about the highest altitude overall.

Macon has received over 8" only that one time in well over 100 years. So, that was just one freaky occurrence since records started. Regarding coastal bombs, those will, indeed, almost never do much good for ATL since they bring in drier air when they're that far east almost all of the time. Even AHN rarely is helped much from those. Also, to be fair, ATL is a ZR champ compared to many locations. They do participate in most decent strength wedges pretty nicely. ATL has had about as many major ZR 's as major SN's! That's a relative rarity among any cities in the US and is a hidden gem if you love ZR. That's a hidden bonus not showing up at all in the 2" SN/IP. Think about if you lived in BHM. You almost never would get to participate in wedge based ZR's. Think about how miserable that could make you. Of course, if you don't like ZR, it doesn't matter. But it does seem like many here like wintry of all forms.

Edit: Also, Tony's favorite, sleet, is a decent portion of ATL's avg. seasonal "snowfall". ATL got 4.2" of mainly sleet both in 1979 and 1988. Had those been all SN, they would have been ~8-12" worth. Keep in mind that 4.2" of IP is as durable, if not more, than 8-12" of SN though it won't look as nice and won't stick to the trees.

East Tennessee is A or B, definitely A in Southeast Tenn. Winter in the South is like a class with no homework or quizzes, just a final exam and maybe midterm. Expect precious few chances to score. Chattanooga had a nice midterm 1.5 inches during a sequence of two snows in a week. Chatty aced the final exam in late February with over 6 inches of snow.

I'll base mine on the ATL northern suburb of Dunwoody rather than SAV. It is too early to give a final grade. However, if this area were to get no sig. wintry wx from here to the end, I'd likely go with something near a B-, which is a good bit higher than it would have been without the very cold and active ("FAB") last half of Feb. DJF was ~2 below normal, making it a chilly winter overall though warmer than I forecasted (-3 or colder).

Wintry precip.: was all during the FAB late Feb. In my location, I got ~1.25" of SN/IP and probably a touch of ZR. I barely missed a sig. icestorm the prior week. Although the SN accumulations were unimpressive overall due mainly to too warm temperatures, I got to see several periods of impressive snow from three different events (two of them had some big, beautiful flakes). I also got to hear/see some nice sleet from a couple of the events though nothing real impressive like happened last Feb. The 2nd half of Feb. was one of the most exciting half months I've ever experienced in the ATL area due to the combo of very persistent strong cold and four wintry events at (three) or near (one) my location and despite no actual major winter storm. Keep in mind that 1.25" of SN/IP isn't far from the median though it is only about half the mean. Also, a lot of enjoyment of weather is in the anticipation/hope in advance of it. There was plenty of that in late Feb.

Agree 100% Larry. This winter reminds me a lot of 1977-78.......lots of near-misses for metro Atlanta.......north of perimeter did okay......I-20 south lots of almosts but not quite.  I've been laid up in a hospital bed at Emory Midtown since 2/21 and Newnan-Piedmont from 2/15-20 but know no measurable snow fell at home south on Newnan.  Friends living in my hometown of Douglasville (and where I lived from 1965-2010) said the ground was white a couple of times.......similar to Jan/ Feb 1978.....when  Boston/ Mass. ironically had another insane winter.

Hey Larry and Dixie Blizzard.......this is Perry Williams formerly of Douglasville, GA.  I was once known as SouthernWx here......and several other wx forums.   Absolute Zero (Steve) is well aware of my situation......we're Facebook friends.  Cancer diagnosis and currently fighting for my life at Emory midtown hospital.  Aggressive sarcoma in my left thigh.  Here's my Facebook page......would love to add you both and anyone from Americanwx who will help me kick cancer to the curb and stand tall again!  Thanks!

Perry

https://www.facebook.com/perry.williams.524596

A support group for me created by a lifelong friend

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438100926356689/?fref=ts

Hey Larry and Dixie Blizzard.......this is Perry Williams formerly of Douglasville, GA.  I was once known as SouthernWx here......and several other wx forums.   Absolute Zero (Steve) is well aware of my situation......we're Facebook friends.  Cancer diagnosis and currently fighting for my life at Emory midtown hospital.  Aggressive sarcoma in my left thigh.  Here's my Facebook page......would love to add you both and anyone from Americanwx who will help me kick cancer to the curb and stand tall again!  Thanks!

Perry

https://www.facebook.com/perry.williams.524596

A support group for me created by a lifelong friend

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438100926356689/?fref=ts

Perry,

I'm pulling for you hard and will keep you in my prayers. I have a feeling you're gong to kick this bastard!

Thanks for the invite! However, I'm one of the relatively few people who isn't on Facebook. I think it is a great medium, but it just doesn't fit my needs well. I just don't feel comfortable using it as I tend to be very private/anonymous when it comes to the internet. That's why I could never "like" Deltadog on Facebook for his videos even though I really like his videos.

Perry,

I'm pulling for you hard and will keep you in my prayers. I have a feeling you're gong to kick this bastard!

Thanks for the invite! However, I'm one of the relatively few people who isn't on Facebook. I think it is a great medium, but it just doesn't fit my needs well. I just don't feel comfortable using it as I tend to be very private/anonymous when it comes to the internet. That's why I could never "like" Deltadog on Facebook for his videos even though I really like his videos.

Cool.....thanks for your

prayers!

I just switched my vote to an F. Once march hits i'm ready for sunny and warm to start the fishing season and stuff and this year this upcoming cold front next weekend is going to ruin our outside wedding so down to an F this winter goes.

at least it will be dry man.....  A cool wedding isn't the worst outcome, silver linings - you won't be sweating bullets in your suit....

Congrats on the promotion and badge!!! :-)

Nothing to say on the rest though. :-(

Gallbaldder surgery that left me f'd up, still (F-)

Air Force promotion and Master Meteorologist Badge (A+)

No great dating potentials (C-)

Social life destroyed by increased shift work (undermanned) (F)

Memorized competiion set (snare) for Scottish Pipe Band (B+)

All in all...D+ to C

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll give it a C-. There were a couple of impressive cold shots, but at my house, I had below average snow. And the first part of winter was just a disaster. I'm also factoring in expectations going into the winter. It should have been better. We had no -NAO again, and never could get a big time southern stream going. C-.

Ok, I'll give it a C-. There were a couple of impressive cold shots, but at my house, I had below average snow. And the first part of winter was just a disaster. I'm also factoring in expectations going into the winter. It should have been better. We had no -NAO again, and never could get a big time southern stream going. C-.

Why did you wait so long to grade? I could smell a big F coming in Jan! :)

Next winter will be rockin' ! Analogs looking great already! :(

I gave/voted this winter a C. We got a couple of nice arctic blasts and although we didn't see any significant measurable snowfall, we did get a dusting a couple of times imby. The most memorable thing was seeing those gigantic snowflakes slapping down on the ground in that winter storm back in late February. I think March 1, 2009 was the last time I saw flakes as huge as the ones I saw a couple of months ago. Other than that, this past winter would have easily been an F.

I think a C was a fair vote for winter in my area. If I was a fan of freezing rain this would of easily been a B+ but my expectations were for a good snowstorm which we barely missed. Hopefully next winter will finally produce some blocking and we can all see something good.

• 1 month later...

I generally give winter 2 grades; one for cold and one for snow. You could potentially get a good grade for one and a bad for the other. I'll give a "C" for cold. Couple of really good cold shots, but they were short lived. November was nice, even though I missed on the Nov 1 snow by about 8 miles. Jan was blah, Dec and March were pitiful for my area. I'll go with  "D" for snow. Got 3 separate events but they were all pretty minor and were clustered in the ten day stretch in Feb. So below average snow with no snow for most of the time. Overall I'll go with a "C-"  

D.  Would have given a C since we were prob close to our climo snowfall overall, but dropped a letter grade for spreading it out over 3 systems.  I give C's for average snowfall, B's for above average snowfall, and A's for exceptional snowfall.  Oh, and F for 1" or less. 

Agreed. But one problem is that the average is dropping big time in this area and years of above average are becoming less and less common. Per NOAA, GSP recorded 14 years of double digit snowfall between 1960 and 1993. Haven't recorded a single one since 1993 - over 20 years! Of course some nearby areas have received some and have gotten really big snows locally, but some of us to the West have fared even worse. Gonna have to move to WNC to see any decent snows i guess  :cry:

Archived