• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE/Oak Hill Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

A great day it was, and while I've always been a big fan of snow, I had a thought while outside today that I wanted to share.

I've been a part of this forum for a little over a year (2 winters now), and it adds another dimension to a snowfall for me, to be able to share the tracking in the days before, the anticipation like last night (extreme radar and traffic cam watching, loss of sleep, etc.), and most of all days like today where so many of us are "in the game". It's kind of unique and special to be able to share the experience the way we do, and it adds to the enjoyment for sure. So I thank you all for that.

I think folks will thank you for putting that radar map in your squirel avatar as that seemed to do the trick! :snowing:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A great day it was, and while I've always been a big fan of snow, I had a thought while outside today that I wanted to share.

I've been a part of this forum for a little over a year (2 winters now), and it adds another dimension to a snowfall for me, to be able to share the tracking in the days before, the anticipation like last night (extreme radar and traffic cam watching, loss of sleep, etc.), and most of all days like today where so many of us are "in the game". It's kind of unique and special to be able to share the experience the way we do, and it adds to the enjoyment for sure. So I thank you all for that.

Well said Kamu...

Spot on!!

Great comment.  I didn't lose much sleep, but woke to a new day, and a storm which was enjoyable, more than any since coming back East at the close of 2003.  Some are bigger, some are slop tests, some disappoint.  This one was gentle, and beautiful.  But now, I am ready for Spring.  Er, one more nice storm before the end, but a little Spring in between . . 

Here's todays snow from my deck overlooking the D&R Canal -post-1064-0-34589200-1425616676_thumb.jp

Great comment. I didn't lose much sleep, but woke to a new day, and a storm which was enjoyable, more than any since coming back East at the close of 2003. Some are bigger, some are slop tests, some disappoint. This one was gentle, and beautiful. But now, I am ready for Spring. Er, one more nice storm before the end, but a little Spring in between . .

Here's todays snow from my deck overlooking the D&R Canal - DSC_8154abw_1280.jpg

Wow, Ansel Adams would be very Happy with that pic!!!

Great comment. I didn't lose much sleep, but woke to a new day, and a storm which was enjoyable, more than any since coming back East at the close of 2003. Some are bigger, some are slop tests, some disappoint. This one was gentle, and beautiful. But now, I am ready for Spring. Er, one more nice storm before the end, but a little Spring in between . .

Here's todays snow from my deck overlooking the D&R Canal - DSC_8154abw_1280.jpg

One more thine, anyone unhappy with this winter needs to have a look at this pic. You need to blow this up to 36x48 and hand it proudly in your home.

One more thine, anyone unhappy with this winter needs to have a look at this pic. You need to blow this up to 36x48 and hand it proudly in your home.

Thanks - it's the wet start, then the falling temps that locked the snow onto the branches.  Usually they lose the snow from the wind, or just plain melting.  This storm was made for pictures.  

Well said, Kamu! Before the days of the Internet, I thought I was the only one who cared if it snowed or was "heart broken" if a storm was a miss. It was so nice to discover there's a world of weenies out there who feel the same about weather as me.

The chase is sometimes better than the catch, however yesterday wasn't one of those days - catch ruled

was up a 4:00am & there was a couple of wet mangled flakes falling with the temp above freezing and the radar looking like crap I have to admit I was getting that sinking feeling, to watch everything come together in a couple of hrs. was phenomenal - best March event since 1993

When was the last time we had a fluffy light March snow? At least it is here, not that pasting I thought we were in for.

3/7/2007 we had snow with temps in the teens

3/2/2009 PHL had snow with temps falling into the low 20's, I don't recall doing nearly as good with that event up our way

again last year PHL had a couple of cold March snows where we were essentially shutout

no matter how cold you need to lose the jacket before you get into the car on sunny days this time of year

I lost my jacket around 9:30 - 10 this morning while shoveling the folks driveway. (just a sweatshirt) Sun was out and I actually had beads of sweat on my forehead with temps in the mid-upper teens.   

It seems Mercer County , NJ has run out of salt for the roads as they are still very sketchy except for the very main arteries. My snow removal guy said the reason is because the waterways that deliver the salt are ice choked.

Wonder how NJDOT is doing...

I'd also wonder how the municipalities are doing, but I don't recall Ewing Township ever using salt so I doubt they are running out of it ;)

Wonder how NJDOT is doing...

I'd also wonder how the municipalities are doing, but I don't recall Ewing Township ever using salt so I doubt they are running out of it ;)

I was on numerous roads today and definitely something is up with Mercer County county roads.

For example, in the afternoon around 4pm, 518 in Somerset was dry until I hit Mercer at Province Line Road. From there, it was either snow packed or slush through Hopewell Borough and then past Rt 31 until I hit the Hunterdon County line at Rt 601. Coming over the railroad tracks and Sourland Ridge was IMO, unacceptable for a sunny, March day with temps in the mid 20s. From 601 (Hunterdon county line), 518 was dry all the way through Lambertville. This is not the only time 518 has exhibited these conditions this winter or last. Somerset County definitely has one up on Mercer on maintaining 518. So many times this winter Province Line Rd is the demarcation line between wet/dry roads and icy/snow packed road after a storm. 

I went south on Rt 29 from Lambertville to Rt 195 (eventually to Robinsville) and 29 was snow/ice free, but a little wet in spots. BTW, the Delaware is amazing, snow covered shore to shore in spots. Hopefully I can grab some pics tomorrow.

When I returned back north, I turned at Washington Crossing onto another county maintained road by Mercer and ... it still had many spots that were snow packed and/or wet and icy. I then went north on Rt 579 (Bear Tavern Road) and still icy/snow packed. Once I hit 601 in Hunterdon, dry and clear sailing. I can't explain the difference but between counties, but it's very noticeable IMO. And not just this one storm.

I had 2 degrees this morning when I woke up.  Somewhat surprised by the depth of that cold.  Even if my station is wrong (as it getting long in the tooth), it's still usually not that far off.     I see KDYL has 8.    I think this was below the temp forecast I heard yesterday evening.   Welcome to Marchuary.  

Parents in Ewing got to 6.3 this morning.

Airport lows:

PHL   11 (record 9 in 1960 and 1890)PNE   11LOM    5VAY    3ILG    5 (record l1 in 1960)PTW    2DYL    7MQS    9WRI    8TTN    7 (record 7 in 1890)MIV   -2UKT   -2ACY    8 (record 10 in 1890)XLL   10MJX    1RDG    2 (record 10 in 1989)DOV    9ABE    0 (record 1 in 1960)MPO    9 (record -18 in 1911)GED    6 (record 3 in 1960)

Archived