Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lawn & Garden Thread

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hoping we have enough rain/showers the rest of the week to wash the insane pine pollen out. It's been drifting in and out in clouds today like a light fog, and you can literally see the pollen grains in the air at times. I have 2 porches to powerwash and repaint, and have to wait on the dang yellow stuff.

I planted  watermelon sunflower seeds the 20th of March. But the cucumbers tomatoes and peppers came in flats those where placed in the ground the 13th of March. Corn and squash and okra was placed the 13th aswell as seed. Roughly a month later..... Cucumber vines, tomatoe vines, and squash vines are loaded with fruit. The corn is roughly knee to waste high.

The only thing is my okra is not doing well. Its a combo between bad seed and bugs.

post-7245-0-32066200-1429023882_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-89667900-1429023896_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-07020300-1429023908_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-16700700-1429023928_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-21441000-1429023939_thumb.jp

post-7245-0-08756000-1429023952_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never I guess.  Rainy weekends put me behind.   Here's what I planted yesterday all from flats.   New house this year so hoping I got the placement correct for best sun etc..  It's small but gives me something mess around with.

4 better boy tomato

4 zucchini 

4 crooked neck yellow squash

4 burpless cucumber bush

Probably add some peppers next weekend.

OK, I'll ask. Why?

Personal bias. I like fruit trees. You have a very beautiful yard/property. I could see an apple tree or two over there on what looks like the side yard (third pic).

Then, you could make an apple cobbler and I could come over and we could sit on the porch and drink some coffee and eat some cobbler and you could tell me about the good old days!

Personal bias. I like fruit trees. You have a very beautiful yard/property. I could see an apple tree or two over there on what looks like the side yard (third pic).

Then, you could make an apple cobbler and I could come over and we could sit on the porch and drink some coffee and eat some cobbler and you could tell me about the good old days!

That is the side yard.  There are no trees because of my weather station. There are trees at the back to the east and the wind gauge is already to close to ground level. Besides, it's easier to mow without having to go around anything.  

That is the side yard. There are no trees because of my weather station. There are trees at the back to the east and the wind gauge is already to close to ground level. Besides, it's easier to mow without having to go around anything.

Well, you have a point. I have about 4 natural areas, which are a pain to mow around and tend to. Besides, apples make a mess and get all filled up with ants and yellow jackets, when they fall on the ground. I guess I'll have to bring the cobbler. :)

You need an apple tree, Burns.

Fruit trees are a lost cause! Either they have a disease or insect problem, or they will . To keep one of any kind, plum, peach, apple, whatever, in tip top shape,you would have to spray for insects and disease about once every 7 days the whole growing season! If you see a peach or plum or apple tree in a yard, it's usually old and decrepit . If y'all knew how many chemicals were used on the average piece of fruit , you would want to run them through the dishwasher , twice! Befor you even want to eat them!

Fruit trees are a lost cause! Either they have a disease or insect problem, or they will . To keep one of any kind, plum, peach, apple, whatever, in tip top shape,you would have to spray for insects and disease about once every 7 days the whole growing season! If you see a peach or plum or apple tree in a yard, it's usually old and decrepit . If y'all knew how many chemicals were used on the average piece of fruit , you would want to run them through the dishwasher , twice! Befor you even want to eat them!

We had 3 apple trees, a plum tree, and a pear tree at my house, when I was growing up. We never tended them. The apple trees were prolific producers, but the plum and pear trees didn't seem to yield very much every year. We also had pecan and persimmon trees, which were prolific producers too.

We had 3 apple trees, a plum tree, and a pear tree at my house, when I was growing up. We never tended them. The apple trees were prolific producers, but the plum and pear trees didn't seem to yield very much every year. We also had pecan and persimmon trees, which were prolific producers too.

I grew up in the streets of Gastonia , but we did have a persimmon tree and a pecan tree as well! The persimmon thing is still confusing to me! I think they aren't ripe until after the first frost or freeze? Or are bitter until a frost?

I grew up in the streets of Gastonia , but we did have a persimmon tree and a pecan tree as well! The persimmon thing is still confusing to me! I think they aren't ripe until after the first frost or freeze? Or are bitter until a frost?

That's like an urban legend. They're best right before they're rotten. Once they almost start turning brown, that's when you eat em up! And go make some persimmon pudding. That mess is good!

Nice irises, by the way!

Archived