joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/5/2015 Ice/Snow Event

Coach McGuirk

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be an interesting little event.

Cold catching up to moisture rarely works out in our favor, but I agree we might be able to squeak out 1-3in this time.

Im thinking it will be a sleet fest here. The upper levels dont seem to get favorable until the last couple hours if that.

Both GFS and Euro show about .25"-0.3" QPF of frozen precip ice/snow mix for RDU with temps dropping into the upper teens overnight Thur/Friday.  If that were to happen it could be a mess, this could easily miss though this far out...hopefully it does, done with kids missing school.

post-2311-0-81090000-1425388506_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-48118700-1425388669_thumb.pn

Both GFS and Euro show about .25"-0.3" QPF of frozen precip ice/snow mix for RDU with temps dropping into the upper teens overnight Thur/Friday.  If that were to happen it could be a mess, this could easily miss though this far out...hopefully it does, done with kids missing school.

By those runs, I predict a mess from Asheboro to Apex along 64 and points north.  Would definitely present some problems with travel and schools closing.  Looks like another icy mess similar to the storm we had last March.  

The trend is your friend? Maybe by Thursday morning they will be back where they were over the weekend.....still think this system has better chance at over performing than most.

hoping this will trend south and east about 100 miles is all some of us need.    :snowing:

The trend is your friend? Maybe by Thursday morning they will be back where they were over the weekend.....still think this system has better chance at over performing than most.

I agree, and we had two sun dogs here yesterday...they were awesome

I'd like to see the NAM run from last night

I don't think we get any frozen precip around central NC like the Globals are showing or least anything that accumulates. I say this because none of the high resolution models (12K NAM, SREF) that I have looked at show it. It will be interesting to see which model suite wins out on this one.

I don't think we get any frozen precip around central NC like the Globals are showing or least anything that accumulates. I say this because none of the high resolution models (12K NAM, SREF) that I have looked at show it. It will be interesting to see which model suite wins out on this one.

Meh none of the hi res  showed the 3.5" of snow I got last Tues either and didn't even hint at it till maybe 12 hrs before hand....but I doubt this ends up being anything like that. Still 2 days for the models to change around some, if they do go back towards their weekend solutions this thread will pick up :)

Meh none of the hi res  showed the 3.5" of snow I got last Tues either and didn't even hint at it till maybe 12 hrs before hand....but I doubt this ends up being anything like that. Still 2 days for the models to change around some, if they do go back towards their weekend solutions this thread will pick up :)

Isohume made some good points in Sunday's banter thread about why they may not be reliable for certain situations

Isohume made some good points in Sunday's banter thread about why they may not be reliable for certain situations

Yeah was actually some good stuff from him, he is pretty good with making it understandable to us mere mortals.....I would think the models have a decent handle of Thur by now and while it would be nice to see a few inches its not that big of a deal and anything beyond just seeing it fall will be bonus

Certainly looks like it is trending better this morning with the Euro and the GFS.  And it might not be much, but I agree that much would still be a mess. It all depends on the timing.

And they overdid the precip here. Really hard to tell it seems just how much precip will be where. But the models do seem to be changing around for at least a shot of some wintry weather Thursday.

No one here talking about the NAM, but reading the other board it seems to be wetter and a little faster with the cold.

Yeah, the 12Z NAM is looking much better for NC than previous runs. Even so, it still isn't putting out as much accumulation as the globals. However, model trends are very important so maybe this will end up being something big.

The short range models are still useless at this point, 48-60+ hours out.  Look at how far south the 12km NAM shifted since it's 18z run yesterday.  I definitely don't think a big winter storm is for us a but a little sleet/frzn/snow is possible.

18z on top

post-2311-0-10975500-1425397018_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-14863300-1425397025_thumb.pn

Yeah was actually some good stuff from him, he is pretty good with making it understandable to us mere mortals.....I would think the models have a decent handle of Thur by now and while it would be nice to see a few inches its not that big of a deal and anything beyond just seeing it fall will be bonus

He did put it in easy terms, I know Chris M. thinks he is one of the best there is.

North of Raleigh looks to get some significant winter weather on the GFS.  Looks like the 12z trends thus far is to shift everything south a bit and there is a late wave of moisture riding the cold front.

Yep, there is a late blooming wave/slp that is traveling through central SC 12z Thursday.  This has been trending a little better the past few GFS runs, let's see if the Euro holds from it's 0z run.  

This airmass means business but do does the SE ridge.  We won't know who wins until we get a little closer...

post-2311-0-53133300-1425398258_thumb.pn

Archived