• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

Severe storms in south TX this evening. Tornado warning currently for western San Antonio, severe thunderstorm warning for us in Austin. Also a flood watch for all of TX through Monday as waves of rain are expected through the next two days, and a tornado watch tonight. I already had a T-storm this afternoon with some pretty solid wind gusts.

Edit: Two tornado warnings in San Antonio now, and a tornado warning for the western portion of my county.

After looking at radarscope there's definitely rotation just west of Lago Vista nw of Austin.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can definitely see a couplet on this, and it's headed maybe a few miles west of me. The storm looks to be headed more NE now than ENE, which would have taken the couplet right over me and very populated parts of town. Definitely breathing something of a sigh of relief. We still look to be getting a nasty burst of straight line winds with the bowing out line. 

I can definitely see a couplet on this, and it's headed maybe a few miles west of me. The storm looks to be headed more NE now than ENE, which would have taken the couplet right over me and very populated parts of town. Definitely breathing something of a sigh of relief. We still look to be getting a nasty burst of straight line winds with the bowing out line.

I'm seeing very broad roation. They might even drop the warning.

Big wind gusts-I'd say 55 mph easy, probably over 60 mph. I might lose power soon-been flickering for a couple of minutes. Trees are bending side to side at my apartment complex-we'll definitely have some downed trees from this, and lots of power outages. This is probably the strongest wind I've seen here so far. And now, maybe hail hitting the gutter outside. This is pretty freakin' intense.

Big wind gusts-I'd say 55 mph easy, probably over 60 mph. I might lose power soon-been flickering for a couple of minutes. Trees are bending side to side at my apartment complex-we'll definitely have some downed trees from this, and lots of power outages. This is probably the strongest wind I've seen here so far. And now, maybe hail hitting the gutter outside. This is pretty freakin' intense.

Nice man. Enjoy.

Yea there was but it has also weakened in lame few frames.

I think you should get radarscope...it's pretty good.

The tornadoes tonight luckily seem to be short-lived but hopefully not very intense (do debris signatures appear on weak tornadoes?). San Antonio was under a warning for a while. I'm sure plenty of damage reports will be forthcoming tomorrow. Got power back a few minutes ago. 

This is all brand new to me-coming from LB, severe weather isn't something I'm used to. :lol:

When one of the mets in the stormchasing thread mentioned a debris signature in the storm that tornado-warned me, my heart definitely skipped a couple of beats. Never been under a tornado warning before.

Tremendous flooding on the San Marcos and Blanco Rivers just south of here in San Marcos and Kyle, TX-pretty highly populated towns on I-35. Their sources in the Hill Country had upwards of a foot of rain yesterday. Both rivers may approach or are at record flood levels. There are also flood warnings on creeks here in Austin this morning, and as I expected, lots of wind damage reports. Trees down, and reports of windows blown out and even a roof blown off. Also, mobile homes damaged in Dripping Springs just west of town from a possible tornado.

Tremendous flooding on the San Marcos and Blanco Rivers just south of here in San Marcos and Kyle, TX-pretty highly populated towns on I-35. Their sources in the Hill Country had upwards of a foot of rain yesterday. Both rivers may approach or are at record flood levels. There are also flood warnings on creeks here in Austin this morning, and as I expected, lots of wind damage reports. Trees down, and reports of windows blown out and even a roof blown off. Also, mobile homes damaged in Dripping Springs just west of town from a possible tornado.

There were most likely two brief spin ups west and nw of Austin last night. They were clear as day on radar. I'm telling you man, Weatherscope is a nice cheap radar app to use.

The tornadoes tonight luckily seem to be short-lived but hopefully not very intense (do debris signatures appear on weak tornadoes?).

Sorry I missed this last night.

To answer to the best of my knowledge:

It depends on how much debris is being picked up but even weak tornadoes can have some sort of debris signature. A debris signature obviously becomes more apparent when you're dealing with a stronger tornado picking up more debris. You can use differential reflectivity (which shows you shape of objects) and correlation coefficient can tell you if you looking at rain hail, etc...and even debris. Also if you change to a higher tilt and still see a debris signature, you are probably dealing with a strong tornado.

Enhanced Severe risk for much of TX tomorrow, threat especially again for straight line winds and tornadoes. If we can get any clearing, we should have a very active day along with more flooding rain on many populated areas barely past today's crest. We cleared out yesterday and made it to the mid-upper 80s with 70-73 dewpoints-was like providing a lit match for the dynamite. 

Archived