Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/3-3/4 snow/ice/rain storm

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant remember what year it was. Could have been 2011. There was essentially a thunderstom while pouring sleet. Muliple falshes of lightning and thunder. It was pretty wild. And no, it wasnt hail.

I think it was towards the end of march of 2011 maybe the 24th. And yea it was like 30 degrees so i doubt it was hail

Cant remember what year it was. Could have been 2011. There was essentially a thunderstom while pouring sleet. Muliple falshes of lightning and thunder. It was pretty wild. And no, it wasnt hail.  

there was widespread thundersleet in the nyc area during the late jan KU event right before the heaviest snow moved in

There was some fairly extensive thundersleet in the Feb 2014 storm as the core of the ULL passed overhead. Where traditional sleet is simply a disappointment for all involved, thundersleet is the pinnacle of extreme winter weather.

If you're talking about Feb 2013, that was intense. I remember looking at a sounding and thinking about why it switched from snow to sleet. I read somewhere that all the lightning warmed upper levels enough to change the snow to sleet for a period of time.

If you're talking about Feb 2013, that was intense. I remember looking at a sounding and thinking about why it switched from snow to sleet. I read somewhere that all the lightning warmed upper levels enough to change the snow to sleet for a period of time.

I did mean Feb 2014, actually. Nemo was pretty lackluster up here—just under 11" of plain old snow, as I recall. That lightning theory seems a bit fantastic... any idea where you read it?

I could see lightning melting snow which then refreezes into sleet, but I think the odds of that trace of sleet falling on a given location are only slightly better than the odds of the same location getting struck by lightning.

Lightning is powerful stuff, but its a hot channel at most a few feet wide in the huge expanse of atmosphere.

I could see lightning melting snow which then refreezes into sleet, but I think the odds of that trace of sleet falling on a given location are only slightly better than the odds of the same location getting struck by lightning.

Any water, frozen or otherwise, would be instantly vaporized in the immediate vicinity of the lightning strike. Could indirectly help increase somebody's snowgrowth by an infinitesimal margin I suppose...

I did mean Feb 2014, actually. Nemo was pretty lackluster up here—just under 11" of plain old snow, as I recall. That lightning theory seems a bit fantastic... any idea where you read it?

I'm looking actually for it and I should have read your location before I made that comment apologies.

There was some fairly extensive thundersleet in the Feb 2014 storm as the core of the ULL passed overhead. Where traditional sleet is simply a disappointment for all involved, thundersleet is the pinnacle of extreme winter weather.

During the Feb 2014 snow, I saw two distinct lightning flashes with thunder in southern Manhattan around 3 in the morning before in transitioned to a mix. Probably the heaviest snow I've ever seen.

Well the scary part is that surface temps never get above 33-34, even at NYC. Meanwhile, 850's are +4 to +8C by hr 36 areawide. If the surface was a few degrees colder this would have been a prolific ice storm.

Lets hope it's not a freezing rain storm. They can devastate an entire area in a matter of hours

Most of the heavy precip falls between 00z and 06z with the BL just above freezing and torching mid-levels. Is this the storm where we pay the piper and get the major ice storm that we've pretty much managed to avoid?

Not unless the BL is in the 20's. It looks more like a cold rain than anything, which is good if you don't want a damaging ice event.

Most of the heavy precip falls between 00z and 06z with the BL just above freezing and torching mid-levels. Is this the storm where we pay the piper and get the major ice storm that we've pretty much managed to avoid?

Most freezing rain events kill themselves after awhile so to speak, they release latent heat with all the freezing and warm surface temps on their own

Archived