• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Observations Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

42 in Clayton, 70 in Goldsboro... but that's about to change. This is quite the back door!!

I am exactly 37 miles from my front porch to the airport in New Bern, it is 42 on my proch and 81 there that more than a 1 degree drop per mile lol....the same for Kinston I am 25 miles from the airport there and its 75 there so in 25 miles the temp drops 33 degrees or well over a degree a mile......

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome.....cant be more than a mile or so and 18 degrees

Should be in New Bern soon could be some 30 degree differences over a few miles there

It's even more impressive than i imagined..by a lot apparently. I figured temps  could be as high as 3 or 4 degrees colder per mile this afternoon, which is an incredible temp difference over such a short distance by any measure, but that wasn't  nearly high enough vs places like that apparently.  There was one station on wunderground in southeast nc that went from 78 at 3:08pm and 5 minutes later it was 56...22 degrees in 5 minutes. I'm sure there are places to the south and west that saw even greater changes where temps managed to get into the low 80s.

These temp changes are about as extreme as it gets for around these parts. I know the plains can see some pretty extreme temp swings, especially associated with chinook winds..but it's easy to see why since there is nothing to stop arctic airmasses there. But To see this down here in the southeast is pretty incredible since the mountains often will slow these airmasses down a lot and just in general conditions that allow such extreme temp changes don't happen very often.  It has to be one of the strongest cold fronts the southeast has seen in years.

Meanwhile,  temps actually went back up here a few degrees an hour ago...with temps getting back to around 57 here, after falling to 54. It's starting to cool back down now but  to put some perspective into this..many  locations that  were 20 degrees warmer than me dropped to being a few temps colder than I was in 5 minutes. And in 10 to 15 minutes time they are 5 or 6 degrees colder than me right now. Crazy stuff.

Speaking of chinook winds and extreme temp swings..now this would be wild indeed.

The Black Hills of South Dakota are home to the world's fastest recorded rise in temperature. On January 22, 1943, at about 7:30 am MST, the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota, was -4°F (-20°C). The chinook kicked in, and two minutes later, the temperature was 45°F (7°C). The 49°F (27°C) rise set a world record, yet to be exceeded. By 9:00 am, the temperature had risen to 54°F (12°C). Suddenly, the Chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to -4°F (-20°C). The 58°F (32°C) drop took only 27 minutes.[11][12]

OMG, it is snowing here in Dunwoody and 27.5! Surprise!

Excellent! Had light snow here  too a few hours ago but only managed a very light dusting on vehicles and it has since  melted as temps are just above freezing (34)  The nam did an excellent job with this..as it has been showing light reflectivity on it's composite imagery for a few days now overnight/early this morning..even producing very light amounts at the surface.  A bit surprised to see it's snow though since  I figured though it would be drizzle or freezing drizzle where it was cold enough because the moisture is shallow plus there is a warm nose in the mid levels. Coldest layer with any moisture was expected to be only -2 or -3c...although rap shows an area of -5c. But apparently that was enough.

Yay for ITP ATL! My sis in Buckhead said it was the heaviest snow she's seen falling this winter! I may have to up my initial B- rating. ;)

Actually, here in Dunwoody it wasn't the heaviest seen falling this winter. But it was nice for awhile.

Archived