SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Observations Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still in the 40's here and not going up anytime soon. It'll get to 55 at best here. It's hard to believe that after 30+ years, the forecasters can not get CAD erosion right. They need to ignore the models when it comes to that and go by experience.

It is amazing how long a dying wedge or a left over cold pool  will hold on sometimes. Even the most experienced forecasters will often miss the mark on when they break up.

54 here was supposed to be 70! I'll let you know how that works out! We can bust hard when we want warm, but not when we need cold! :(

Wedge finally broke late this morning here and temps have managed to hit 70. Feels great.

Speaking of mountain influence..check out the surface to 925mb temps tomorrow/tomorrow night for north ga. The upper savannah river valley cold deflection shield is in full effect. It keeps temps much warmer than literally everyone else even close to the same latitude. What's neat is the nam/gfs shows this warm pocket being pushed west as the high starts spilling over the mountains and winds turn northeast. This causes temps in west/west central north ga to actually rise for a few hours before finally mixing out/being pushed south for good.

The USRV shield is so strong this time though it causes a meso low to form and parts of north ga are literally the dead last location north of 33 degrees latitude to reach freezing. At least this time it's not screwing us out of winter precip...although i am frustrated that we are really the only place that will not experience the very sharp and sudden temp drop with the front...instead it's stretched out and unimpressive vs what happens everywhere else.

I don't know that I've ever seen a 60 degree temperature swing, if the forecast holds true,,,

79 today,

Thursday Night Rain, freezing rain, and sleet likely before 10pm, then a slight chance of freezing rain between 10pm and 11pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 19.

It's hard to believe that it's 74 now, but by tomorrow morning it will be ~29 with black ice concerns. Bipolar weather.

73 degrees here with mostly cloudy skies. Maybe a degree or two above what they were forecasting. Feels like a classic late-April day :)

Well, minus the bugs, pollen, and tornadoes, anyway. Enjoy it while it lasts.  ;)

Archived