• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm OBS Thread

UnionWeatherWx

yeah the bronx got hit pretty hard with mostly snow,widespread 6+ inch amounts across the boro which is a def over performer and it might backfill a bit before it pulls out so who knows 7+ is well within range up here..

Channel 12 had 1-3" here but we were close to the 3-6" forecast zone. They were a little low but mixing was less than expected. Definitely a mess in the Bronx with very slippery roads and limited parking.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

26 S-

5.6" new as of 9PM

18" snow depth.

5.5" new Port Jeff...about 18" on the ground...about as wintry as it gets in these parts for a March 1st....or any other day for that matter. 

Just got in from a trip around town in the Edison area and sidestreets are a mess, as most are unplowed and untreated and icy, as we had about 0.2" of ZR accretion on top of the 3" of snow/sleet.  The county/state roads, like 27, Route 1, 531, 501, etc., are a bit slushy, but not horrible, as I'm sure they've been treated and have had a lot of traffic.  

Driveways and sidewalks are fine if they weren't shoveled, as the ice is on top of the snow/sleet.  Where I shoveled after the sleet was done and I put salt down is ok, whereas shoveled, but untreated areas have iced over badly and are treacherous (like my neighbor's sidewalk - they shoveled around 6 pm, but didn't put salt down).  Would be very surprised if there aren't delayed openings, as temps around here aren't supposed to get above 32F until 8-9 am.  

Precip has all but stopped here for now.  Very light snow with a few very small ice pellets mixed in (the first of the event).

That new band about to come down on the north shore looks pretty heavy.  It might be bright banding (sleet), but if it is snow then we are not done accumulating.

Seems to be winding down now, 6" on the nose, very impressive here for any SWFE. Less than 1 hour of sleet in total, the rest snow. That would put me at 48" for the season.

The key with SWFEs is to have the trof in the west, any sort of ridging out there and the shortwave amplifies too much and goes over or north of us. Most of our very good SWFEs occur in bad patterns for snow in New England or the Lakes such as December 84 and 90 and January 89

Total of around 3.5" here (EWR reporting 4.2"). Models like the RGEM and others did quite well. I still can't seem to manage a 6" storm this year! EWR has, however the most I've had this year is 5.5" or so. A bunch of 2-4" storms and a couple 5s. Not bad at all, but I would like a biggie this winter

Precip has all but stopped here for now.  Very light snow with a few very small ice pellets mixed in (the first of the event).

That new band about to come down on the north shore looks pretty heavy.  It might be bright banding (sleet), but if it is snow then we are not done accumulating.

Fyi, it's sleet here.  At least so far.  Temp is still 26.

Just got in from a trip around town in the Edison area and sidestreets are a mess, as most are unplowed and untreated and icy, as we had about 0.2" of ZR accretion on top of the 3" of snow/sleet.  The county/state roads, like 27, Route 1, 531, 501, etc., are a bit slushy, but not horrible, as I'm sure they've been treated and have had a lot of traffic.  

Driveways and sidewalks are fine if they weren't shoveled, as the ice is on top of the snow/sleet.  Where I shoveled after the sleet was done and I put salt down is ok, whereas shoveled, but untreated areas have iced over badly and are treacherous (like my neighbor's sidewalk - they shoveled around 6 pm, but didn't put salt down).  Would be very surprised if there aren't delayed openings, as temps around here aren't supposed to get above 32F until 8-9 am.  

Woodbridge is going with a delay. Most of the supers talk to each other and get a consensus; when one does something they most likely all will.

Just a touch over 3.0 in Pomona. ( rockland). There is a light 80% snow/20% sleet mix falling at the moment. As per the radar, this should be nearing the end. Somehow it looks like most people around me got 4-6 inches Kinda disturbing. But....I'm already getting amped for the Wednesday night/ Thursday event! Heres to the 00z model suites!.... 

The key with SWFEs is to have the trof in the west, any sort of ridging out there and the shortwave amplifies too much and goes over or north of us. Most of our very good SWFEs occur in bad patterns for snow in New England or the Lakes such as December 84 and 90 and January 89

I'm going to have to keep that in the back of my mind, and it makes sense. Thanks for that post Goose, and thanks for your input all winter long really

Total of around 3.5" here (EWR reporting 4.2"). Models like the RGEM and others did quite well. I still can't seem to manage a 6" storm this year! EWR has, however the most I've had this year is 5.5" or so. A bunch of 2-4" storms and a couple 5s. Not bad at all, but I would like a biggie this winter

Thursday looks like it's trying to give us one last shot.

I measured an even 5 inches at 8PM when I was shoveling out my driveway here in Melville LI.

It was coming down quite hard (big flakes) until 9:10PM when it mixed in with sleet for about 10-15 minutes before ending. Eyeballing another inch since 8pm and we'll call it 6 inches here in Melville (give or take .1) Nice solid moderate event here and a great welcome to the month of March!

Good times!

-Jason

Archived