SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter

JoshM

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask jburns. I think he might be big into snowboarding.

I did many years ago when I had time, and well.. before I had kids.

No. Its nowhere to ski.

I was just curious.  I always went to Beech and occasionaly Sugar.  Wolf Ridge, formally Wolf Laurel is going to sell season passes for $199 sometime in April, which is pretty rediculous.  I have been there a couple of times, but I just wondered if anybody else had spent any time there.

Anybody live around Lenoir? How's the economy and way of life around those parts? Kickin around the idea of buying a business up there! Any help would be appreciated!

I grew up in Lenoir, and my parents still live there.  (It's only 25 minutes away from where I now live in Hickory, NC.)  The economy was incredibly manufacturing-dependent several years ago, particularly in the realm of furniture.  Then, most of the jobs left for locales with cheaper labor.

The downtown area is being revitalized as they are spending money on economic development and trying to market the town as a stopover on your way to the mountains.  The strip along US Hwy 321 is the most developed part of the town where you will find all the chain restaurants and retail stores.  Real estate is quite cheap in Caldwell County.

I guess it depends on what your business venture is.  Can it extend to Hickory, Boone, Morganton, Wilkesboro, etc?  Or would it totally be dependent on customers from Lenoir proper?  I think Lenoir has quit shedding population at this point, but I wouldn't say that it's booming either.  Population is roughly stagnant, if I had to guess, but the US Census data could tell you more.

Google put a server farm there, for whatever that's worth.

Welcome to the foothills, should you decide to move...

I grew up in Lenoir, and my parents still live there. (It's only 25 minutes away from where I now live in Hickory, NC.) The economy was incredibly manufacturing-dependent several years ago, particularly in the realm of furniture. Then, most of the jobs left for locales with cheaper labor.

The downtown area is being revitalized as they are spending money on economic development and trying to market the town as a stopover on your way to the mountains. The strip along US Hwy 321 is the most developed part of the town where you will find all the chain restaurants and retail stores. Real estate is quite cheap in Caldwell County.

I guess it depends on what your business venture is. Can it extend to Hickory, Boone, Morganton, Wilkesboro, etc? Or would it totally be dependent on customers from Lenoir proper? I think Lenoir has quit shedding population at this point, but I wouldn't say that it's booming either. Population is roughly stagnant, if I had to guess, but the US Census data could tell you more.

Google put a server farm there, for whatever that's worth.

Welcome to the foothills, should you decide to move...

Thanks for the info! It's just a possibility at this point , but it would draw people from all the locales you mentioned, not just Lenoir.

Archived