• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice/rain potential on Sunday/Monday, 3/1-2/2015

famartin

Latest Wxsim with 6z data continues the colder solution for NW Chester County PA

here is the rundown

Light snow by 10am temp 17.6

Heavy Snow by 4pm temp 27.4 (1.5" of snow)

Heavy Snow at 7pm temp 26.0 (3.3" of snow)

IP/Snow at 10pm temp 26.1 (4.2" snow/IP)

IP/ZR at 1am temp 27.1

4am tapers off to ZR- temp 27.7

Total liquid that falls is 0.57" all frozen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't it feel like this storm isn't getting the hype that it should? The ground is rock solid, and the 12z NAM surface looks damn cold. I hope they prepare the public on this one, especially if the NAM is right...

It's the weekend. People aren't paying attention and doing other things. And the local news (3,6,10) have way less hours for people to view. Hype may set in later Sun. As for myself, it'll be March and storms won't last so it's not as impressive plus we'll hit the 50's wed. Bright as hell out now w/birds chirping and my 21F current temp feels like 35-40F w/the rays.

For the higher terrain portions a breakdown:

NAM - 6"

RGEM - 4"

GFS - 2.5"

ECM - 2"

Extrapolating winter trends with lowest snowfall model outputs verifying I like 2-2.5" so a 1-3" forecast feels about right locally

Then of course there is the inherent unpredictability of SWFE - see last event. So we can't right off 3-6" for near Philly and east of I95 either ;)

* Someway, somehow Monmouth County will get 4+"

For the higher terrain portions a breakdown:

NAM - 6"

RGEM - 4"

GFS - 2.5"

ECM - 2"

Extrapolating winter trends with lowest snowfall model outputs verifying I like 2-2.5" so a 1-3" forecast feels about right locally

Then of course there is the inherent unpredictability of SWFE - see last event. So we can't right off 3-6" for near Philly and east of I95 either ;)

* Someway, somehow Monmouth County will get 4+"

Monmouth approves this statement. Hahaha

Details on EC QPF/snow vs. non:

MPO 0.43" total QPF, 0.40" as snow, low levels try to warm up after 6Z.

ABE 0.42" total QPF, 0.38" as snow, low levels try to warm up after 6Z.

RDG 0.39" total QPF, 0.31" as snow, 925 warms from -1 to +1 between 0Z and 6Z.

TTN 0.40" total QPF, 0.23" as snow, 900 warms from 0 to +1 and 925 warms from -1 to +2 between 0Z and 6Z.

PHL 0.40" total QPF, 0.16" as snow, 925 warms from -5 to +1 between 18Z and 0Z.

ILG 0.38" total QPF, 0.15" as snow, 925 warms from -5 to +2 between 18Z and 0Z.

ACY 0.37" total QPF, 0.03" as snow, 925 warms from -4 to +2 between 18Z and 0Z.

GED 0.27" total QPF, 0.02" as snow, 925 warms from -2 to +4 between 18Z and 0Z.

12z run of the Wxsim with NAM/GFS combo continues colder and a bit drier and a quicker end time.... but now all snow and a snow/IP mix near the end. with 4" to 5" of snow accumulation before ending by 10pm. After the Tuesday-Wed AM snow to rain event the Wxsim shows another 2" to 4" snow event on Thursday PM with falling temps thru the day. This is the one JB has been keying on to watch out for after the rain

0z NAM is a solid 2-4" front-end thump to ice storm north of the city. Surface temps only get above freezing after meaningful precip is gone N/W of 95. It looks like at least close to .4" QPF falls at freezing rain, which would be a major issue, especially for northern burbs.

nice thump in the far north of mt holly zone.

hoping for 4 inches , need 6 

Wasn't in work today, yesterday concern was elevated for the freezing rain threat. I like where our map shows the potential for up to 1/4 ice. Travel conditions will go downhill quick once the changover occurs to ice, very slippery.

Hey Mitchell I am thinking the thermal radiation off a March 1st sun angle even through the clouds could help between 11AM and 2:30PM or so in SE PA I would think.   

Hey Mitchell I am thinking the thermal radiation off a March 1st sun angle even through the clouds could help between 11AM and 2:30PM or so in SE PA I would think.   

it's been so cold for so long, I suspect any liquid that falls is frozen on the ground.

ground temps are still very cold even with the sun angle etc

I think PHL might not changeover til after that.  BTW, this time of year peak solar insolation is centered on noon.  In summer its centered on 1PM because of DST.

Down this way I'm thinking 1" to 2" (of snow). More would be better, obviously, and could mean less freezing rain. It looks like the potential is there for the surface to stay more than a degree or two below freezing even after a change to rain, and however hard it comes down, a longer duration rain at 28F-30F is what in my mind would lead to potential issues with branches and power lines etc. The roads will be icy no matter what the precipitation type.

Archived