joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25th BUST Thread, I'll do it

CarlHill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Def not a bust here, but just under the 6-10 i was thinking. My parents back home north of Hickory got 6 to 8 inches. It just depended on where you were. The RGEM looks to have nailed the sharp southern edge. Mid-level Mixing is main reason this didn't perform. Had nothing to do with warm ground temps or boundary layer issues like the local met's and certain posters here were harping on. The lack of a closed upper low really hurt the chances for a historic storm. Here is 1 key: never throw out the word historic or major w/o some type of phasing potential. This storm was an open wave. It really helps to use the site below to study the big dogs to see what it takes for a real historical type of storm.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ewall.html

I pity the meteorologists who have to try to forecast these things.  What JBurns' son said is totally true.

Honestly I think the nature of forecasts needs to change.  Instead of saying your area is going to get 4" to 8" snow, the truth is in these marginal areas of the country the forecast should be 0" to 8" snow.  Because that is the reality of it- marginal temps, warm noses, and a million other things conspire to generally kill snow potential down here.  It's the "one time" none of those things breaks the storm that we get events like what caused Snowmageddon last year.

Sadly, there's an actual cost to shutting down a city as big as Atlanta for a day or two.  Not just the public cost but the private business cost as well.  Nobody wants to shut down unless there is a 100% guarantee that something bad is going to happen, and 100% guarantee type storms are almost impossible to get here more than once every few years tops.

dang! You must have got nailed your world is turned upside down! What did you finish with?

I had 7, close to your call if 8. Too bad this was fast mover and the upper low died.

Why do upper lows always die as they move east? They hardly ever hold together as they get to central/eastern NC/SC. I got 1-2" but never more than 1" on the ground at a time.

Def not a bust here, but just under the 6-10 i was thinking. My parents back home north of Hickory got 6 to 8 inches. It just depended on where you were. The RGEM looks to have nailed the sharp southern edge. Mid-level Mixing is main reason this didn't perform. Had nothing to do with warm ground temps or boundary layer issues like the local met's and certain posters here were harping on. The lack of a closed upper low really hurt the chances for a historic storm. Here is 1 key: never throw out the word historic or major w/o some type of phasing potential. This storm was an open wave. It really helps to use the site below to study the big dogs to see what it takes for a real historical type of storm.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ewall.html

Agree HKY with the bolded.  Best approach with warming aloft seems to be to lean toward the warmer model guidance and assume that warming will come in quicker and stronger than modeled.  I ended up with 3 inches of mostly snow, some sleet, here north of Charlotte.  Charlotte airport had 1.8.  My call for there was 5-8...a big bust.  NWS upped their call yesterday aftn to 8-10 for CLT.  The TV futurecasts that I saw where actually quite good in showing the mixing well north into central Charlotte, but were ignored by most.  

On the precip side, the radar kind of collapsed in the GSP to CLT corridor.  Whatever models where showing high totals there busted badly.

I also made the post below last night regarding the precip pattern...

My main takeaway thus far is this....in our previous winter storm (sleetfest on Feb 17), I made the point that the most reliable type of precipitation you can have (steady, non-spotchy precip on radar) comes from warm-advection / overrunning type precip.  We had that in the Feb 17 storm.  With today's storm, the good 850mb warm advection is focused from S GA through eastern SC, into eastern NC (image below shows that for 03z).  The heavy precip we were suppose to get from GSP to CLT was more dynamically driven - strong upper level ascent.  That type of precip is less reliable.  Sometimes it is great, other times it is splotchy.  All indications from model QPF output indicated that this dynamically driven precip would be strong...but that has not been the case.

Warm_Adv.gif

Agree HKY with the bolded.  Best approach with warming aloft seems to be to lean toward the warmer model guidance and assume that warming will come in quicker and stronger than modeled.  I ended up with 3 inches of mostly snow, some sleet, here north of Charlotte.  Charlotte airport had 1.8.  My call for there was 5-8...a big bust.  NWS upped their call yesterday aftn to 8-10 for CLT.  The TV futurecasts that I saw where actually quite good in showing the mixing well north into central Charlotte, but were ignored by most.  

On the precip side, the radar kind of collapsed in the GSP to CLT corridor.  Whatever models where showing high totals there busted badly.

I also made the post below last night regarding the precip pattern...

Grit - regarding the precip and the radar imagery last night for the Charlotte Metro. Especially early on in the event the radar out of Greenville seemed very uniform in cover and pretty strong with a lot of yellows and even large swaths of reds. But the actual ground truth of the matter was that precipitation rates never really exceeded what I would call moderate at best. Can you offer an explanation of that for a novice like myself? Is it just that I'm using a poor radar site or was it just a misrepresentation due to a lot of the P-type being sleet?

TIA.

It seems like the rain-snow line was just further north than predicted. I had some mixing overnight, which most said wouldn't happen. I still got 4" of accumulation, though, so I can't really complain.

Good luck to everyone next year!

Where are you in Chapel Hill? I'm in southern Durham county and we didn't get any mixing till after 2 AM (and even then, it was some sleet mixed with snow). Before that, it was all snow from beginning to end.

I live on the Wake/Johnston county line and we got a half inch of snow and a bunch of rain. Unbelievable how sharp the gradient was. Isn't this how the storms that are supposed to "manufacture" their cold air usually end up anyway? I can't believe how many models showed 10+ inches at my house yesterday morning and we got less than an inch. Can we trash all of the current models and start over again?

Next time I'm telling.my 2 friends I have left that it's going to rain, we live in the South and don't expect any snow even if well respected mets are calling it. Just tune into Glenn Burns and as long as he's showing the model if there is one that's halfway correct you'll find out what's going to happen. The clock is right at least 2 times in the day..

Ice for the weekend baby, I'm looking forward to it, the Indonesian model is showing a blockbuster.

Edit, 1 friend left. I told them about the Ice and the line went dead..

Next time I'm telling.my 2 friends I have left that it's going to rain, we live in the South and don't expect any snow even if well respected mets are calling it. Just tune into Glenn Burns and as long as he's showing the model if there is one that's halfway correct you'll find out what's going to happen. The clock is right at least 2 times in the day..

Ice for the weekend baby, I'm looking forward to it, the Indonesian model is showing a blockbuster.

Edit, 1 friend left. I told them about the Ice and the line went dead..

Where does one find the Indonesian model?

Credit to Cheez for a good call in Atlanta, right?

Yep, he was on point. It's true that me and some fellow ATL posters were adamant that he was too pessimistic and he was putting too much weight in the NAM. As it turned out, he was correct and we were wrong.

Oh, I ate my bowl of crow already. Tasted like disappointment.

Archived