• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cold obs Tuesday morning 2/24/2015

famartin

Wxsim has another sub-zero low here tomorrow AM at -3.0 - this would be the 3rd time in 9 days. That is interesting because in NW Chesco there were no sub-zero lows from 1996 to last year (2 last year).

Also of interest....if the month ended today this would be the 4th coldest (chance for top3) February in Chester County since 1894. Through today the average temp is 21.5

Top 4 coldest are

1934 - 19.3

1979 - 20.7

1978 - 21.4

For PHL, average through yesterday is 26.1.  Top 10 coldest include:

22.2 in 1934

23.0 in 1979

24.3 in 1885

24.6 in 1978

25.4 in 1895

25.7 in 1875

26.3 in 1905

26.4 in 1963

27.1 in 1907

27.1 in 1901

If GFS guidance is right, monthly average will end up around 25.0, which would make it 5th coldest on record.

lol - made it to 1F here....while it's not sub-zero, I don't remember the last time there were this many days of 0F or 1F lows imby, in a winter. Impressive. Wonder how far down the frost line is getting these days.

Got to 1.2F (now 8.2F)...super brick wall once I hit 2F every time....real slow decline and I never seem to make it to zero. With calm wind, it was not bad at all. I was out around 5:30am when it was around 2F and I would've guessed 15F.

As a side note, I go along the Wissahickon Creek on the way to work and that is about as frozen solid as I've ever seen it given the Schulkyll near where it empties, is frozen solid as well... and the Delaware down here near Penn's Landing is about 50 - 60% covered with flotsam and jetsam ice.  The fact that the Wissahickon froze at such a high level above the creek bed (outside of normal expansion when water freezes), is what really caught my eye.

Low of 7F at KWWD.  Point and click last night on NOAA showed a low of -1F for us which shocked me a bit.  Seemed the press of cold was just short of getting below zero cold to cross the coastal plain.  Calm winds and low humidity really did not make things feel all that bad and i think we are all getting used to it.  Even my wife said it is not that bad.  Wood stove keeps living room a sub-tropical 74 all winter.  Close to 4 cords this winter so far.  Most I ever burned.

I just checked my lows and cabin was -15.6 which is insane and I believe a tie for lowest recorded....will check later.  Allaire house reading was 0. 

Impressive late February numbers for sure

holy moly, I had an issue with my heater so I was up alot of the overnight.   (you guys would be amazed how quickly the house cools down when -10+ outside...and no heat) Backup heat is mandatory out here, or you'll whole house will freeze within 12 hours. 

Went back to sleep around 5:15am when it was only -11.  But I see now that it hit -14.6 sometime after 5:15am...  this is now my all-time Low since i've lived here !  12+ years.  

Even around 4am, I saw Somerville, NJ was already around -5.  Which is impressive in itself. 

Archived