Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18-19 Arctic Attack OBS

Wow

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colder temps slowly creeping eastward...

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/map/

According to that page Sassafras Mtn in Pickens is at 7 - lowest I can find is SC right now. In general, WNC MUCH colder than piedmont areas and areas to SE. Not sure if colder air has not made it into piedmnont areas yet. Some forecast lows outside the mtns looks to bust though unless cold advection just hasn't made it to the lee yet. GSP still at 23 with forecast of 8. Better get dropping as temps have just fallen down gradually so far. 21 in Easley.

I think ATL is out for breaking a record tonight, way too many snow showers and clouds in the area, they'd need a 10 degree drop still to break it, 9 to tie it, probably won't happen.  Nashville will have a tough time getting below 0 I think too, the NWS may have overplayed the undercut on the guidance there.

Good post from Stu Ostro...

500 millibars is one of the benchmark levels that meteorologists look at in analyzing/forecasting weather, and the 500 mb temperatures measured over the Great Lakes today are extremely low. For example, assuming the SPC climo chart is accurate this appears to be the second lowest temp for Buffalo in any month on record (p.o.r. since 1948).

Altitude of 500 mb height there this evening was 5050 meters or 16568 feet.

10523532_10153743122239057_2846250907122

Archived